#1 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Millennium Falcon

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 13,313 Thanks
  • 9,782 posts

Posted August 21, 2017 - 04:50 PM

For this discussion, I am talking about using weights on a tractor while using a snocaster. I'm thinking out the ways I can make weights and I'm wanting to know the pros and cons between wheel weights and putting the weight on the rear hitch of the tractor. I'm figuring on getting some used bar bell weights and adapting them. So, I could put a 50 lbs. weight on each rear wheel or I can put 100 lbs on the hitch (which may be easier to remove when not needed).

Thought?

• dropped82, Sawdust and chieffan have said thanks

#2 gopher OFFLINE  

gopher
  • Member No: 2755
  • 763 Thanks
  • 757 posts

Posted August 21, 2017 - 05:28 PM

Any weight added to frame adds wear to axle bushings. That said a lot put weight boxes on back to balance out snowcaster weight.

• LilysDad and chieffan have said thanks

#3 Oldford OFFLINE  

Oldford
  • Member No: 50409
  • 1,134 Thanks
  • 786 posts

Posted August 21, 2017 - 06:06 PM

it depends on the tractor, some need more weight than others.  i had a 15" hi-wheel did fine with turfs, chains, and a weight box but they have axle issues and i didn't want to run wheel weights.  a snowblower usually weighs more than a plow, sometimes i've just had to add weight until it quit getting stuck...

• chieffan said thank you

#4 gopher OFFLINE  

gopher
  • 763 Thanks
  • 757 posts

Posted August 21, 2017 - 06:19 PM

Or if you can find these on sale Bridgestone Blizzak W965. Heard lot good things a bought the tires being good on snow and ice with no weights.

• LilysDad, Sawdust and chieffan have said thanks

#5 DH1 OFFLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 5,272 Thanks
  • 5,567 posts

Posted August 21, 2017 - 06:47 PM

If you put wheel weights on you don't want them to stick out past the wheel, when SnoCasting you want the tractor narrower than the snow blower/caster.

If you hang some weight out the back you will get more traction and the steering will be easier when the snow blower/caster is lifted.

Weigh hanging off the back tends to lift the front a bit. 

• MH81, CRFarnsworth, LilysDad and 2 others have said thanks

#6 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

G-agressive tractor

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 9,329 Thanks
  • 4,954 posts

Posted August 21, 2017 - 07:20 PM

Just eat more.  :wave:

• CRFarnsworth and chieffan have said thanks

#7 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 10,164 Thanks
  • 6,642 posts

Posted August 21, 2017 - 07:25 PM

I use a snow thrower on a Bolens G12, tires filled and chains.  Would be nice to have the weight out the back for better balance but not so easy to put on and off.  Will have a front blade on a H16 and 6' rear blade on a white 1655.  If it is like last year will get everything ready and never used them.  Ideally we get the ground froze good, then get snow for insulation.

• LilysDad said thank you

#8 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Millennium Falcon

• Contributor
  • 13,313 Thanks
  • 9,782 posts

Posted August 21, 2017 - 07:38 PM

I have an Ingersoll 3014 w/ a 48" Snocaster. I don't think I will have clearance issues. Which ever place I put them I want to adapt a length of bar bell with the aproppriate weight fastener to remove the weights. It should be quick to remove the weights, if I need to. I hear good arguements on both sides. Has anyone really had axle wear issues?

#9 dropped82 OFFLINE  

dropped82

Nut Case

• Member No: 9923
  • 2,501 Thanks
  • 1,818 posts

Posted August 21, 2017 - 08:12 PM

I use a caster on my Case 226. I run 2 link chains and 50lbs wheel weights. I dont have any issues what so ever. I'm curious as to these "axle problems" that were mentioned. I've used and abused my 200 and 400 series machines without a single issue. The earlier 100 series machines used a lighter axle but even then it still would take some abuse to break one. When I plow with it, I run filled ags with 50lbs weights on each wheel. That pretty much takes care of any and all traction issues.

As for my high wheel machine, filled tires takes care of any traction issue. Those tires hold a lot of fluid.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Edited by dropped82, August 21, 2017 - 08:14 PM.

#10 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Millennium Falcon

• Contributor
  • 13,313 Thanks
  • 9,782 posts

Posted August 21, 2017 - 08:17 PM

I will be using the same 'summer' tires, so I don't want to fill them.  

#11 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6172
  • 5,485 Thanks
  • 5,263 posts

Posted August 21, 2017 - 08:23 PM

On my Gravely, I prefer weight on the 3 point. I had been running about 80
pounds on the wheels and felt I wanted more traction. 120 on the back does better in wet snow.

#12 DH1 OFFLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 5,272 Thanks
  • 5,567 posts

Posted August 21, 2017 - 08:28 PM

Also any weight taken off the front wheels by weight added out behind the tractor goes to the ear wheels.

#13 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 29,968 Thanks
  • 29,758 posts

Posted August 21, 2017 - 08:40 PM

I have some trouble with steering with weight behind. I've always found that putting the weight on the wheels was satisfactory.
An X with a 1" rod welded to the intersection and the tips of the X set up to bolt to the original wheel weight holes is a solid options for many barbell weight users.

And loading your tires isn't really a negative in the summer. I actually prefer it. Less slip on hills and a slightly lower center of gravity.

Edited by MH81, August 21, 2017 - 08:41 PM.

• DH1, LilysDad and Sawdust have said thanks

#14 gopher OFFLINE  

gopher
  • 763 Thanks
  • 757 posts

Posted August 21, 2017 - 09:11 PM

I was not meaning axle wear but bushing wear. I know your tractor is newer but abuse does lead to wear on axle bushings. It is recommended any time you work on transmission requiring axle removal. Replace axle bushings and brake shaft bushing if not replaced in long time.Or oil leak around hub.

#15 tractorskipper OFFLINE  

tractorskipper
  • Member No: 25019
  • 481 Thanks
  • 306 posts

Posted August 21, 2017 - 09:39 PM

Haven't for a while,but used to run a high wheel 446 with fluid in the tires all year round.  Back filled an entire house foundation years ago.  Of course I broke the frame but that's what welders are for!  Added chains when using the 48" snow caster & went through snow much higher than the blower.  As someone said, those tires hold a lot of fluid & I don't know what they weighed.  Had no problems other than the 

before mentioned frame issue.

Skip