• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 glenking OFFLINE  

glenking
  • Member No: 88045
  • 1 Thanks
  • 1 posts

Posted August 19, 2017 - 10:34 PM

I have an old JC Pennys rototiller thats been sitting for years with a siezed motor. I have found a rather new poullan snowblower with a husqvarna engine, the free price was right. The snowblower has a busted auger and is beyond repair. I was hoping I could put the engine on the tiller and make it usable once again. However, the engine says its for winter use only, it also has no easy way to hook up a throttle cable to it. Any thoughts?
  • Sawdust said thank you

#2 Alc OFFLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 6,562 Thanks
  • 7,304 posts

Posted August 20, 2017 - 05:00 AM

Welcome to GTTalk !  Might want to post some pictures of the carb and any linkage the new motor has . I wonder why the sticker says "Winter use only " too . Maybe emission related ? Also maybe this should have been posted in a different Forum , Mechinical and Hydraulic might get more looks , 

• Sawdust said thank you

#3 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 35,877 Thanks
  • 44,617 posts

Posted August 20, 2017 - 05:19 AM

:wave: Welcome to the forum. Pics do help folks here see what you have and answer a lot of questions.

Edit: I moved this.

Edited by KennyP, August 20, 2017 - 05:21 AM.
Moved Thread

• Alc and Sawdust have said thanks

#4 ShotgunWedding OFFLINE  

ShotgunWedding

Garlic Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 84933
  • 404 Thanks
  • 184 posts

Posted August 20, 2017 - 05:59 AM

Usually winter engines for snow blowers have no air filter a all them, since winter snow blowing air is not dusty and an air filter gets clogged up with snow flying around.  Also, carbs have smaller throats and bigger jets due to colder. denser air in winter.  Jets can be easily replaced I would think.

As far as a throttle linkage for a cable, my old tiller has none...it s meant to run at full throttle for long periods of time tilling, when done just reach over and turn it to idle or off.  Easy peasy.

• Alc, shorty, boyscout862 and 1 other said thanks

#5 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6172
  • 4,925 Thanks
  • 4,982 posts

Posted August 20, 2017 - 06:28 AM

I agree with the above definition of a winter engine. Not real hard to set up for summer use. I do it for my son's TracTeam. Switch airbox to one with a filter and tweak the carb. Come winter switch it back.

Edited by shorty, August 20, 2017 - 06:31 AM.

• Alc, boyscout862 and Sawdust have said thanks

#6 MiCarl OFFLINE  

MiCarl
  • Member No: 75926
  • 1,793 Thanks
  • 966 posts

Posted August 20, 2017 - 07:32 AM

I wouldn't even bother tweaking the carb, who cares if it runs a little rich?  You will want to find a way to put an air cleaner on it or it'll have a short life.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#7 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 2,033 Thanks
  • 2,691 posts

Posted August 20, 2017 - 09:09 AM

Then why do snow blowers all have a lean surge whenever they don't have a snout full of snow?

#8 FixItCharlie OFFLINE  

FixItCharlie
  • Member No: 47950
  • 481 Thanks
  • 321 posts

Posted August 20, 2017 - 09:53 AM

One thing to check is the flywheel to see how much cooling air it can move. I know from having fan cooled snowmobiles they had some extra venting to be opened for operation in warmer weather but if got warmer then 50 degrees F you needed to stop & let them cool down ever so often.

Charlie

#9 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8923
  • 12,020 Thanks
  • 8,795 posts

Posted August 20, 2017 - 12:44 PM

Welcome to GTT. Download the manuals that you need from our Manuals Section. What you want to do should be an easy backyard mechanic project. The air filter from the blown engine may even fit the new engine. Most engies can add a throttle cable fairly easy. Good Luck, Rick

#10 ShotgunWedding OFFLINE  

ShotgunWedding

Garlic Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 84933
  • 404 Thanks
  • 184 posts

Posted August 20, 2017 - 02:01 PM

On my existing snow blower, it runs pretty rich in the summer, rich enough to stumble and exhaust black smoke.  I would think that would foul the plugs and the exhaust valve a bit.