#1 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 8,451 Thanks
  • 7,816 posts

Posted August 19, 2017 - 10:31 PM

Have MTD Yardman tractor, same as big white. Has drive shaft to mower off front pto. I pulled deck today and can't get that quick release joint to slide off the pto shaft. Had to slide deck back enough to have it slip out of each other to get deck out. Now I have the front section still on tractor. I have been able to move back and forth about 1/4". I can see the end of splined shaft in joint end. The lock ring seems to pull back all the way. This normal for these to kind of seize on the shafts or are the balls not loose and still holding?? I've tried some penetrant on it to see if anything comes loose tomorrow. I even took a little pry bar at it to lever it out, but no luck. Hard to get into that area with the pry bar when setting on ground. I got frustrated and quit for tonight.

• chieffan said thank you

#2 stiemmy OFFLINE  

stiemmy
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53712
  • 2,536 Thanks
  • 1,830 posts

Posted August 20, 2017 - 03:21 AM

I thought the same thing too the 1st time I pissed around with 1 of those. Turns out I was 180 degrees off on the collar detent, so try that 1st!!!!

It could also be possible that the yoke is slightly rusted to the PTO shaft, just use a light hammer with a block of wood to try to move the yoke on the shaft 1st, then try to unlock it and remove it by hand.

Edited by stiemmy, August 20, 2017 - 03:30 AM.

#3 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 8,451 Thanks
  • 7,816 posts

Posted August 20, 2017 - 10:27 AM

Collar detent?  Isn't that just a cut ring in shaft, balls fall in when pulled back on it?  Doesn't need to be in any special position?  Maybe balls wore into the collar and need new places to roll too??  I''ll spin it diff places and see?   Was thinking of the wood and driving some. My luck would move IN more, then stick worse, not come back out. OUT is harder to hit for then.  One thing for sure, the tractor is going on some ramps or a lift for more room! 

#4 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 8,998 Thanks
  • 6,167 posts

Posted August 20, 2017 - 12:33 PM

I had the same situation on my 1655 White.  Finally got the balls loose and had to push the ring to the side in the right direction to get the shaft off.  That was a year ago and don't remember exactly how it was done.  Will look at that shaft later see if I can figure something out with it.

#5 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 8,451 Thanks
  • 7,816 posts

Posted August 20, 2017 - 08:21 PM

Pulled it out today to see what's deal. Jacked it up good, went under with hammer and block of wood. Hit outer end with those and then reached up, wiggled a little, pulled the lock ring and one good tug it came off! Wooo, Hooo!  Easy. Think overnight soak probly did the best. Only Two balls in the coupler, all free and moving. I see the bearing there is half full of balls and loosey!  SO, new one needed. Pulled cover and can't see front one yet. Pulley has snap ring, but not sure would pull off that splined shaft very easy. Soaking now. There is two holes that line up with bearing holder bolts, maybe it stays on shaft and comes out together?  Not sure if this thing is also the axle pivot or how that works, runs right thru same area??  I better jack up frame some when doing that tear-down. Those look like the common farm bearings with those sleeves/holders that allow it to move some to align. Should be some at my farm store I hope.

• olcowhand and KennyP have said thanks