• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#16 Dayton_King ONLINE  

Dayton_King
  • Member No: 68926
  • 837 Thanks
  • 840 posts

Posted August 20, 2017 - 10:04 PM

My porter has a model 14 briggs pull start. My executives are kohler.
  • classic said thank you

#17 lrhredjb ONLINE  

lrhredjb

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3984
  • 514 Thanks
  • 446 posts

Posted August 23, 2017 - 07:53 PM

Classic, good looking Page for sure. What do you plan to tackle next?

• classic said thank you

#18 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • Member No: 52970
  • 4,760 Thanks
  • 2,090 posts

Posted August 24, 2017 - 02:25 AM

Thanks lrhredjb. I have to get some things done around the place before I get to deep into the next project. I did talk to a guy at the show who said that he had a parts Gibson tractor if I was interested in it. It's actually all there except for the rear tires and it's far from a parts machine. I took a look at it on Monday and I may be picking it up this weekend. He just has to get it out of the shed since it's way in the back. It's either a late model A or a model D. The brakes are froze up and the engine is stuck. The rear rims are there, they're in nice shape, and I have decent tires and tubes to put on them. I'll spend some time getting it up and running, but I'm not sure if I'll restore it. It seems to be in original grey and red paint, but it was dark in the shed and I couldn't look it over that good. All of the belt guards and covers are there, so that's a big plus. There could be problems with other things in the drivetrain like the trans and rear end, but I'll have to wait and see. So I guess getting this tractor back up and running is the next project. I can't wait to get started on it!

#19 pauljac OFFLINE  

pauljac
  • Member No: 63503
  • 19 Thanks
  • 17 posts

Posted August 24, 2017 - 08:22 AM

Classic,

If your friend needs an engine, I have a Briggs, model 143302, type 502550 with s/n 101206 in good running condition. Engine does not smoke. I can send him photos.

Paul

• classic said thank you

#20 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • 4,760 Thanks
  • 2,090 posts

Posted August 24, 2017 - 04:45 PM

Thanks Paul, I'll give the guy a shout and see if he's interested in it. He has a bunch of engines, but He just didn't know what was original for it. The guy from the show came and dropped off the Gibson parts tractor this morning. I slapped my tires on it, freed the brake bands, and the engine was only lightly stuck. I'll swap out the carburetor and mag temporarily and get it fired up tomorrow. The cylinder looks good with no excessive cylinder or piston clearance, and the valve seats look ok. The engine looks to be original and was made in October of '47.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20170824_150653-1.jpg

Edited by classic, August 25, 2017 - 09:33 AM.

• Alc, KennyP and MGP59DB have said thanks

#21 pauljac OFFLINE  

pauljac
  • Member No: 63503
  • 19 Thanks
  • 17 posts

Posted August 25, 2017 - 06:39 AM

That is the best parts tractor I have ever seen! I think it is nearly ready for the next show. I am located near Buffalo, NY. What part of NY are you from?

• classic said thank you

#22 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • 4,760 Thanks
  • 2,090 posts

Posted August 27, 2017 - 11:39 PM

I'm in Ulster County Pauljac. This Gibson sat on a gravel floor deep in a shed for years. The rear wheels and engine were off and some parts sat in a box next to it. The engine was stuck, the rear axles were locked up, and the front axle pivot pin was partially driven out. I spent the weekend working on the tractor. I got both rear wheel centers and one outer rim with the tractor. I had another matching outer rim and a pair of old tires and tubes that I picked up recently. The brake bands were stuck to the brake hubs, so I just loosened the adjusters,gave them a tap, and the axles were free. The piston was only lightly stuck in the cylinder and freed up easily. The magneto needed the coil insulation removed since it was like tar, so I just rewrapped the coil and cleaned the points. The carb needed good cleaning and gasket and I had to cut the valve seats and lap in the valves. I got the machine all back together and took it for a ride. Everything is greased and there's fresh oil in the engine, transmission, and rear end. It was fun getting this old Gibson back up and running. I have to go pick up another engine shroud, and put the original gas tank back on it after I clean it out. It runs and drives really good and the steering feels fine. I just want to repack the front wheel bearings since I didn't get to that today.

Attached Thumbnails

• post-52970-0-27289300-1503875988.jpg

• KennyP and oldiron1 have said thanks