#16 massey driver ONLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 75
  • 1,072 Thanks
  • 1,443 posts

Posted June 23, 2011 - 10:01 PM

Glad to hear that your on your way to being in business Larry!! I had to build up the spindle with weld and grind / file it back to the original diameter on the side that I did replace at that time. as welding up the spindle and replacing the bushings with bearings. BTW, the first spindle that I repaired and replaced the bushings in has held up much better with the bearings in it!

I had thought about welding the spindle but its grooved out on the bottom where the bushings run about 1/2 way thru and about 1/4 down on the top side.I suspect that its never seen hardly any grease if any at all.The other side is almost new shape.The one side thats worn the grease fitting is broken off so quite possible why it didn't get grease.Larry

#17 Tmo OFFLINE  

Tmo

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2023
  • 356 Thanks
  • 486 posts

Posted June 24, 2011 - 07:19 AM

There is a '99 brochure on the Sabres in the Manual's Section: 1999 Sabre Brochure - Manuals - Garden Tractor Talk - Forums

It doesn't show the 2148HV, but does show the 2048HV. This was my brochure back in the day and there are red markings, one is along side the 2048HV specs on page 11, I marked in red "2148HV" and then at the bottom I marked "3769" which was the price of a 2148HV, probably in 2000 or 2001.

#18 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted June 24, 2011 - 09:47 AM

Glad to hear that your on your way to being in business Larry!! Unfortunately, my experience with the newer JD's is that you just have to throw some money at them to fix 'em. My neighbor has been through 2 front axles and a set of front wheel bushings on her L130. When I replaced the bushings in the one wheel, I replaced them with bearings...should have done them both, but the other side was fine at the time. I had to build up the spindle with weld and grind / file it back to the original diameter on the side that I did replace at that time. Fast forward 2 years and, while I was replacing the axle (again!) I had to replace the other whole wheel as the hub was stretched out too bad to repair (at a cost of $70) as well as welding up the spindle and replacing the bushings with bearings. BTW, the first spindle that I repaired and replaced the bushings in has held up much better with the bearings in it!

Any ideas on why the axles and spindles are failing. Seems like extreme wear for such a short period of time. The Lseries is a light duty mower but it still seems like a lot of front end work in a short time.

#19 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted June 24, 2011 - 03:17 PM

Any ideas on why the axles and spindles are failing. Seems like extreme wear for such a short period of time. The Lseries is a light duty mower but it still seems like a lot of front end work in a short time.

IDK Brian! My father has an Identical unit and he's not had any problems at all with his. Maybe it's because the guy that was running it weighs over 300 lbs, but my Dad goes about 240 and his is fine. To boot, both axles cracked in the same spot!

#20 wisabre OFFLINE  

wisabre
  • Member No: 33915
  • 0 Thanks
  • 1 posts

Posted April 22, 2013 - 10:09 PM

Good post. Larry I hope you eventually fixed the axle. Luck would have it I have the same issue with a sabre 2148hv. Unfortunately I didn't think of checking the axle key before completely disassembling the transmission. I can't find any evidence of transmission problems. I'm going to check the axle key tomorrow and will most likely find my issue.