#1 massey driver OFFLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 75
  • 1,076 Thanks
  • 1,445 posts

Posted June 22, 2011 - 07:11 PM

I bought this John Deere Sabre today the guy was selling it as a parts tractor.The add said that it was always stored indoors and taken care of and that the motor ran fine and it came with a 48" mower deck.The add also said that the trans was no good. Anyway after looking at it and hearing it run It runs very nice Kohler 21 twin vertical shaft.The tractor doesn't drive forward of reverse.It does want to move a bit in either direction for just a fraction of a second.So just wondering what anyone thinks it could be.It does have a Tough Torq K66 hydro in it.Guess tommoro I'll dig into it a bit deeper to see if I can figure out whats wrong.Oil level is full.Just finshed washing all oil and grime off it so I'am done for the day.Larry

Attached Thumbnails

• JD Sabre 001 (Small).jpg
  • JD Sabre 002 (Small).jpg

#2 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted June 22, 2011 - 08:01 PM

If it has keyed axles at the hubs, it may be as simple as a key is sheared on one side. Just one side shears a key, you go nowhere, but it may try to move just a fraction from friction as on the sheared key side, the axle spins in the hub.
  • MH81 said thank you

#3 Aussiedog OFFLINE  

Aussiedog

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3089
  • 56 Thanks
  • 55 posts

Posted June 22, 2011 - 08:41 PM

Your transmission drive pulley sheave may be stripped out on the transmission shaft. This is common on the Sabre and Scott lawn tractors made by John Deere. Their Tuff Torq transmission shafts are made of harder steel and over many hours of use the drive pulley strips out. I had this problem and replaced the John Deere pulley for $20 and it works like new. While you have the transmission out to replace the pulley you might as well also clean the transmission oil filter and replace the transmission oil with Castrol 5/50 Synthetic as now recommended by Tuff Torq.

We have past threads that address your issue...
http://gardentractortalk.com/f6-john-deere/john-deer-sabre-18v-46-hydro-hydrostatic-transmission-problem-1562/#post61994

http://gardentractortalk.com/f6-john-deere/gt245-tranny-issue-need-your-help-6280/#post68117

http://gardentractortalk.com/f12-garden-tractor-forum/tuff-torque-hydro-transmission-removal-service-video-6640/#post68107

You might also make sure the "free wheeling" rod is pushed in on the transmission (located at the rear of the tractor). That can cause you to lose all forward/reverse motion. My brother once borrowed my mower and pulled it out without telling me. The next week I spent hours trying to figure out why I had lost all forward and reverse motion. I finally pushed it back in and took off like normal.

Edited by Aussiedog, June 22, 2011 - 08:54 PM.

• MH81 and caseguy have said thanks

#4 massey driver OFFLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,076 Thanks
  • 1,445 posts

Posted June 22, 2011 - 08:47 PM

If it has keyed axles at the hubs, it may be as simple as a key is sheared on one side. Just one side shears a key, you go nowhere, but it may try to move just a fraction from friction as on the sheared key side, the axle spins in the hub.

Thanks Dan I'll check it out tommoro.This tractor was bought new by the guy I bought it from he had the original bill of sale as well as the owners operators manual.The tractor has 365 hrs on it.He did say that when it quit it did it all of a sudden so I'am pretty sure something hopefully simple is all thats wrong.I do know when I had it running and pushed down on the FWD/Reverse pedal that if I held it down it was almost like it was a sheared key as it would catch every revolution of the axle.There's also no brakes at all either so it almost like the axle is free wheeling.I had a rough day today with alergic reaction to bug spray.The little guy had a scoccer practise last night lots of Mosquitoes and lots of people using bug spray beside us.It sure took its toll on me no sleep lastnight plus a 2 hr drive each way to pick this tractor up. $450. is what I got it for.Hoping for a better day tommoro in finding out whats wrong.Larry

#5 massey driver OFFLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,076 Thanks
  • 1,445 posts

Posted June 22, 2011 - 08:57 PM

Your transmission drive pulley sheave may be stripped out on the transmission shaft. This is common on the Sabre and Scott lawn tractors made by John Deere. Their Tuff Torq transmission shafts are made of harder steel and over many hours of use the drive pulley strips out. I had this problem and replaced the John Deere pulley for $20 and it works like new. While you have the transmission out to replace the pulley you might as well also clean the transmission oil filter and replace the transmission oil with Castrol 5/50 Synthetic as now recommended by Tuff Torq.

We have past threads that address your issue...
http://gardentractortalk.com/f6-john-deere/john-deer-sabre-18v-46-hydro-hydrostatic-transmission-problem-1562/#post61994

http://gardentractortalk.com/f6-john-deere/gt245-tranny-issue-need-your-help-6280/#post68117

http://gardentractortalk.com/f12-garden-tractor-forum/tuff-torque-hydro-transmission-removal-service-video-6640/#post68107

You might also make sure the "free wheeling" rod is pushed in on the transmission (located at the rear of the tractor). That can cause you to lose all forward/reverse motion. My brother once borrowed my mower and pulled it out without telling me. The next week I spent hours trying to figure out why I had lost all forward and reverse motion. I finally pushed it back in and took off like normal.

Thanks I'll check all that stuff out tommor and let you know what I find.Larry

#6 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted June 22, 2011 - 09:57 PM

Good luck tomorrow. Looks like a good deal still.

#7 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted June 23, 2011 - 09:48 AM

Looks like it's in good condition. Given the hours on it the person who had it looked after it. Most likely the tranny is not shot. Axle key would be my first guess.

#8 massey driver OFFLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,076 Thanks
  • 1,445 posts

Posted June 23, 2011 - 09:57 AM

Did a quick check this morning and its the RH side axle key.Just have to cut a new one and put it back together.Next will the the front axle's as the wheels wobble around like a dogs tail.LOL Larry

Attached Thumbnails

• JD Sabre (Small).jpg

#9 Chuck_050382 OFFLINE  

Chuck_050382

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 32
  • 267 Thanks
  • 1,498 posts

Posted June 23, 2011 - 10:06 AM

Glad to see it was a easy fix.

#10 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted June 23, 2011 - 11:01 AM

WooHoo....easy fix & I got it right! :thumbs: You ended up with a sweet deal!

#11 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted June 23, 2011 - 11:06 AM

Thats Great Larry, Glad you got it fixed so easily...:thumbs:

#12 massey driver OFFLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,076 Thanks
  • 1,445 posts

Posted June 23, 2011 - 11:38 AM

Not as easy and quick as I figured.The hub doesn't have a key way slot cut into it. They actually pressed the keyway into it right thru the hub.So just ordered a hub from Deere it will be in next week under $70 so will put it together then.Larry

#13 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted June 23, 2011 - 01:08 PM

Did a quick check this morning and its the RH side axle key.Just have to cut a new one and put it back together.Next will the the front axle's as the wheels wobble around like a dogs tail.LOL Larry

Does it have bushings or bearings on the front wheels. I just replaced the bearings on my 314. They came out hard but then again it is 28yrs old. It looks like the axle keyway might be stretched a bit. I would try to clean that up and make the fit as tight as possible or you could end up stripping it out again.

#14 massey driver OFFLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,076 Thanks
  • 1,445 posts

Posted June 23, 2011 - 05:05 PM

Does it have bushings or bearings on the front wheels. I just replaced the bearings on my 314. They came out hard but then again it is 28yrs old. It looks like the axle keyway might be stretched a bit. I would try to clean that up and make the fit as tight as possible or you could end up stripping it out again.

Front rims have bushings so have them ordered as well.What I'am planning on doing with both rear hubs is to add a bit of extra holding is.I'am going to drill in two tapered set screws[I'll use 5/16 bolts] I'll taper the ends of the bolts so that they'll fit into the axle where I'll also drill into them just a bit creating a indent for the bolts to hold in.It'll give it more holding onto the axle rather then just relying on the stamped in key inside the hub.Larry

#15 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted June 23, 2011 - 07:42 PM

Glad to hear that your on your way to being in business Larry!! Unfortunately, my experience with the newer JD's is that you just have to throw some money at them to fix 'em. My neighbor has been through 2 front axles and a set of front wheel bushings on her L130. When I replaced the bushings in the one wheel, I replaced them with bearings...should have done them both, but the other side was fine at the time. I had to build up the spindle with weld and grind / file it back to the original diameter on the side that I did replace at that time. Fast forward 2 years and, while I was replacing the axle (again!) I had to replace the other whole wheel as the hub was stretched out too bad to repair (at a cost of $70) as well as welding up the spindle and replacing the bushings with bearings. BTW, the first spindle that I repaired and replaced the bushings in has held up much better with the bearings in it!