• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 MiCarl ONLINE  

MiCarl
  • Member No: 75926
  • 1,793 Thanks
  • 966 posts

Posted August 16, 2017 - 09:00 PM

Next week I'm going to look at an International 184 (Last model of the Cub Lo Boy).

Aside from the normal stuff to look at on an older tractor is there any model specific stuff I should watch out for?

Edited by MiCarl, August 16, 2017 - 09:00 PM.

• Genem said thank you

#2 sharkman OFFLINE  

sharkman
  • Member No: 34759
  • 305 Thanks
  • 244 posts

Posted August 17, 2017 - 08:31 AM

don't see many with 3 point hitches the PTO runs CCW.  (can't find attachments for rear)  4 cylinder gas engine, that's only 15 hp.  the 3 speed gearing is limited (1st too slow for mowing, but too fast for tilling).  A creeper gear was available but again don't see many.  Parts are available and there seem to be a following.

I got one for cheap ($650) but unloaded it once i did some research.  

Attached Thumbnails

• loboy.jpg

Edited by sharkman, August 17, 2017 - 08:44 AM.

#3 MiCarl ONLINE  

MiCarl
  • 1,793 Thanks
  • 966 posts

Posted August 17, 2017 - 08:55 PM

Thanks for the reply.

I knew about the PTO.  Primarily looking to pull a 12" plow with it.

Substation burned down last night so no power at the shop today.  I hooked up the trailer and went for a look - 70 miles each way.

Tractor was $2,000 and included a very heavy duty push blade, pole lift, carry all, tire chains, 3 point of course and loaded AG tires.  The push blade has it's own hydraulic cylinder and diverter valve to switch the tractor hydraulics to it.  Looked to be factory, but never seen one like it before.

Plenty of small issues: Would only run with choke pulled, rear wheels severely rusting around the valves, rear tires badly cracked, fuel cap won't tighten because the gasket is gone, transmission or final drives seemed to have quite a bit of whine when moving (normal?), dash badly weathered, PTO fuse holder missing its cap and fuse.  No battery, he was jumping it from a loose battery.  After he stalled it he hooked up backward and let smoke out from somewhere.

That's pretty much where I walked away.

Probably an ok deal for someone willing to take on a project, especially if he wanted that plow.

IH 184 on Toledo Craigslist

I think it was probably wet when he took the pictures.  It's not that shiny but the paint isn't real bad either.

1.jpg

#4 MNGB OFFLINE  

MNGB
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62466
  • 1,786 Thanks
  • 1,257 posts

Posted September 03, 2017 - 10:30 AM

Hi Carl have you checked into any more Lo Boys? Theres a 185 about 100 miles from me I'm thinking of checking out, the seller says its had an engine overhaul has a 3 pt with a rear blade but not mowing deck (listed) its a bit ruff around the edges most of which wouldn't be to hard to tiddy up but the fiberglass grill surround is cracked and bust which from my checking is over $200.00 he's asking $2000.00, which for my part of the country is close to what others are asking, I know nothing about Cubs or Lo Boys so anyone got any comments? 

#5 MiCarl ONLINE  

MiCarl
  • 1,793 Thanks
  • 966 posts

Posted September 03, 2017 - 05:48 PM

I don't know much other than I liked the size of the tractor.  It was more difficult to mount/dismount than I'd hoped.  I was disgusted enough with the condition that I didn't drive it myself.

I saw your other post and am also concerned about getting on and off a conventional cub as I get (rapidly) older.  I know an A is a chore and I suspect the cub is similar.

I've got another 184 I've got my eye on. There is also a "regular" lo-boy not too far away. I'm hoping to check both out in the near future.  I'll update you.

The particular 184 I looked at had a pretty significant whine from either the transmission or final drives which pretty much killed it for me.  I'm looking forward to checking out another to see if they all do that or this particular one was in poor condition.

I think the engines are bullet proof. IH made that engine from at least 1947-1980.  Engine parts should be plentiful.  Somewhere I saw that the number lo-boys use the same transmission as the Cub Cadet.  If true that would make parts easier to find.  Only bad things I've heard about them has to do with the PTO clutches which isn't a concern to me.

Most of the number lo boys in this area are $2,500 -$4,000+ unless they're obvious basket cases.

Edited by MiCarl, September 03, 2017 - 05:51 PM.

• MNGB said thank you

#6 MNGB OFFLINE  

MNGB
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62466
  • 1,786 Thanks
  • 1,257 posts

Posted September 03, 2017 - 06:04 PM

Hi Carl, thanks for your reply it helps in my research, yea I have a Farmall "B" and it can be a challenge it get on/off but easier than the Cub I'm thinking because the "B" has that long left axle to use.  Yes I think finding parts is not to big of a deal the 185 I kind of like has that fiberglass radiator shell that is cracked and broken which is $200.00+  but I like that it has a 3 PT

#7 916hydro OFFLINE  

916hydro
  • Member No: 87046
  • 49 Thanks
  • 55 posts

Posted September 07, 2017 - 07:51 PM

I'm in the market for one as a mowing tractor mainly. I've found a number of them without the mower, how hard are these to come by?

#8 MiCarl ONLINE  

MiCarl
  • 1,793 Thanks
  • 966 posts

Posted September 07, 2017 - 08:41 PM

Mowing versions should be easier to find than what I'm looking for (3 point hitch, R1 tires).  Most of them seem to have been sold as mowers.

Here is a craigslist search of Indianapolis and surrounding areas for all 3 versions of the number lo-boy.  Most have decks with them.

Craigslist Search

Edited by MiCarl, September 07, 2017 - 08:44 PM.

• MNGB said thank you