• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 deereowner OFFLINE  

deereowner

• Member No: 4179
  • 0 Thanks
  • 10 posts

Posted June 22, 2011 - 06:30 PM

I recently purchased some Gator blades to try out. When I have the PTO turned on, I hear, what sounds to be the blades hitting the deck. However, it isn't a constant noise. It is a rattle every 5 seconds or so. It seems to be coming from only one of the three blades too. It doesn't matter if the throttle is all the way open or barely running. I also had moved all the blades around after putting all the blades on, and there was, what seemed to be a lot of room everywhere. I will also note the Gator blades came with an extra washer that was supposed to be put on above the blade, and that was installed.

Question #2- Any tips/pointers on how you guys take off your decks and flip them over to work on them or change blades? As I am new to this, it may be an obvious answer, but I am thinking it is a lot of horsing a 60" deck around and there has got to be an easier way. I have a couple ideas, but wondering what the experts do.

Any opinions on these things would be appreciated.

#2 poncho62 ONLINE  

poncho62
  • Member No: 42
  • 634 Thanks
  • 1,220 posts

Posted June 22, 2011 - 06:42 PM

Sounds like a blade may be loose......

I dont take the deck off to change blades....I jack it up with a floor jack and lay on the ground......Getting harder for this old phart

#3 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted June 22, 2011 - 06:47 PM

First, I am not a professional by anyone's definition LOL!

The first question I can't help you with. I haven't ever used the gator blades...and frankly they kinda scare me. I don't like the sharp angles with no relief cut at the bottom. I saw some pics here of one that had come apart at that very spot.

To answer your second question, when I used to work on the grounds crew at the college, we had a large set of ramps at about a 40 degree angle that we pulled up onto to hose out the decks at the end of the day. When we were finished hosing them out, we'd pull back off of the ramps and spin the blades up over the clean concrete to dry everything out.
  • KennyP and K3522 have said thanks