• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 daisyman OFFLINE  

daisyman
  • Member No: 88014
  • 0 Thanks
  • 1 posts

Posted August 16, 2017 - 08:18 PM

My son has a Legacy with the B&S diesel in it. It runs fine, but about 3 months ago the power steering decided to stop working. The tractor will go forward and backward and the 3 point will work although maybe slowly. He doesn't have anything hooked to it, so it's kind of hard to tell. I looked at it today, trying to figure it out, with no luck. He changed oil and filter in the hydro with the proper oil and filter as a routine maintenance item, but he can't remember whether it worked before or after that. ( I know that makes a huge difference on what to look for but he's got a lot on his mind and just can't remember). I thought maybe it was an airlock problem but have tried every method to work the air out of it to no avail, if that's what it is. Is there a pressure relief valve somewhere that might have stuck, or a broken spring, and just where do I look for that?? confused.gif
(It's been really dry in this area for three months with no need to mow, so it just sat)
I can find very little on these tractors on the net, so here I am looking for help!! I don't know of ANYONE that has one around here to discuss it with.
Thanks for any help!

P.S. I posted this on another forum, also. Just trying to find answers, so bear with me.
Irv

#2 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

HAZMAT CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 13,376 Thanks
  • 9,738 posts

Posted August 16, 2017 - 09:54 PM

If you have the product id number, you can download the manuals from the Simplicity website. They should have the proper procedure for bleeding air after an oil change.
  • boyscout862 said thank you

#3 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8923
  • 11,999 Thanks
  • 8,781 posts

Posted August 16, 2017 - 10:43 PM

Welcome to GTT. You are going to need to download the manual and check the maintenance proceedures. Good Luck, Rick

#4 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 39,210 Thanks
  • 30,820 posts

Posted August 17, 2017 - 09:39 PM

I take it the power steering isn't working at all?  That is odd being the lift does work, albeit slower, as the steering takes priority pressure FIRST, then sends "power beyond" pressure to the lift circuit.

#5 massey driver OFFLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 75
  • 1,302 Thanks
  • 1,535 posts

Posted August 18, 2017 - 08:18 AM

Is it possible that the o-ring inside the steering cylinder has disinegrated and the oil just flows from one side to the other side. I'd start with looking at the cylinder first.

#6 Talntedmrgreen OFFLINE  

Talntedmrgreen

Simplicity Enthusiast

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8186
  • 3,218 Thanks
  • 2,292 posts

Posted August 21, 2017 - 02:08 PM

I would also suggest the cylinder gets an inspection.  The valves are beneath the seatpan/gas tank, on top of the K92 Tranny.  They aren't bad to get to, especially if you have a second set of hands to help.  I added shims to mine a year or so back to get more Oomph for the loader.  My XL has 1000 hours on it now and hasn't missed a beat.  

Sadly, it could also be a steering valve issue.