Garden Tractor Forums banner

Simplicity 725 Project.

10K views 20 replies 9 participants last post by  secondtry 
#1 ·
I found a Simplicity 725 on craigslist listed as restoration or parts only ($180). Ill be doing a full restoration on it. The 725 is in fair shape. Didn't include a mower deck. Currently missing the seat, air filter, and starter / generator. I did get a rototiller and mule drive with it. I do plan on selling the tiller and mule drive to help fund the 725 restoration.

• Doesn't run. Stripped motor down today (8/14/17) to find it needs new rings.
  • Tin cover for motor is heavily rotted and will need to be replaced.
  • BGB needs a rebuilt. Sheared keyway and may need new seals.
  • Rear end shifts into all gears fine. Rolls fine in neutral. Brake works.
  • Axle tube is not broken but will need new seals on outside of rear end.
  • Includes one new rear tire. 3 other tires still hold air but will be replaced.
  • Gas tank is in perfect condition. Most likely not original tank.

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
The model number is no longer on the seat pan.How can I tell what year this 725 is? Simplicity made a 1962 and 1963. From looking on SimpleTractors, the only difference appears to be seat style. Theres no ID plate on the motor to tell which model 19 it is.

#7 ·
Nice tractor. Keep the tiller. You will want it later. Once you've got it done, you will want to collect attachments. There are many attachments available for the 725. Checkout this site: www.simpletractors.net Good Luck, Rick
did they ever get the site sorted out? I joined awhile ago and it was a tough site to navigate and post pictures etc.. I know they were talking about redoing it

#9 · (Edited by Moderator)
That's a model 19 Briggs. It has the rectangle points box cover and magnamatic ignition coil under the flywheel. The coil part number is 290880 if you need to replace it and they are available. The Briggs 19D has a 3 leg armature mounted above the flywheel and the flywheel has magnets. The coil for the 19D is part number 296834 and became unavailable recently. Great little tractor you have there. There is a timing procedure that you must follow if you remove the aluminum coil mount from the block.

#10 ·
Rosie is almost all torn apart. Lots of body work to do. I replaced the damaged keyway in the BGB and no longer has a delay. Where can I get the steering wheel re-coated with rubber?

Attachments

#11 ·
That's a model 19 Briggs. It has the rectangle points box cover and magnamatic ignition coil under the flywheel. The coil part number is 290880 if you need to replace it and they are available. The Briggs 19D has a 3 leg armature mounted above the flywheel and the flywheel has magnets. The coil for the 19D is part number 296834 and became unavailable recently. Great little tractor you have there. There is a timing procedure that you must follow if you remove the aluminum coil mount from the block.
Thank you for the information. :thumbs:

#12 ·
Pictures from today's progress. Welded up the seat pan, fenders, and the hood. I would like to find the correct headlight for the 725.

Attachments

#13 · (Edited by Moderator)
Sorry really behind with updating the thread. I recently got a better camera so I can document my projects. 'Rosie' the 725 is almost finished. All new tires. Gas tank, wiring, and upholstering the seat is left to do. Used Rustoleum paint again. Lobster Red and "implement white".

Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Tire

Tire Wheel Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire

Attachments

#15 · (Edited by Moderator)
I agree. this is a 1962 725. Ill upload more images in a couple days after I finish getting the generator & gas tank mounted. Seat is going to be last. The paint lightened up after letting the 725 sit in the sun all day. Has a reddish hue to it instead of being very orange.

Wheel Plant Tire Automotive tire Tread

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Attachments

#17 · (Edited by Moderator)
Sorry forgot to post finished pictures here. Im mostly on the simplicity / allis chalmers facebook groups now. Won third place at the local tractor show for best restored. Not much interest sadly with Simplicity & allis chalmers at the shows. John deere and Wheel Horse is big around here.

Tire Wheel Locking hubs Automotive tire Orange

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Vehicle Tread

Automotive design Wood Rectangle Gas Automotive exterior

Attachments

#20 ·
Hello all. Not really sure where to begin... I inherited my dad's Simplicity 725 when he passed away. When I moved away, I had the tractor sitting for quite some time (4 years) at a friends house for storage. I recently bought a house and now have the space (and need) for this tractor. This tractor was my dad's pride and joy. I remember driving it around on top speed 3rd gear. When I got it back to my house, the engine turned over and eventually started up. I was able to drive forward and backwards for about a minute and then the RPMs revved like crazy while I was in neutral and I got scared so I shut it down.

I don't know where to start with this thing. I would love to get it going again. I wish my dad was still around to show me the ins and outs on how to maintain it. I'm not mechanically savvy. He left behind manuals, boxes and boxes of parts (from washers to an extra transmission). He had to have 3 spare parts for everything.

If anyone can give me advice on where to start. My first step is to get the old gas out and put new gas in. What kind of gas can I use? Just go to the gas station and get some 87? Do i need to add anything to the gas? Next step, drain the old oil. I'll probably be able to figure out where the oil tank is via the manual.... but how do I know how much to put back in? Also, according to the manual, certain oil grades can be detrimental. Andy advice on specific oil to use on this model?

Where do I go from there? Step by step, treat me like I'm dumb, advice would be very helpful. I've got the mower attachment and snowblower attachment. I would love to get this thing running by winter to use the snowblower to plow my neighbors driveways...that's what my dad used to do.

Thanks in advance,

- Anna

#21 ·
First thing to do is to start your own thread rather than hijacking an old one. Go here Allis Chalmers, Simplicity Tractor Forum and name your new thread something like "Family heirloom Simplicity 725 please help" Enter in as much information as you can come up with about your machine and it"s history. Pictures of the machine and implements are a big plus and help people judge its condition and better guess it's needs. You say it sat in storage for four years then the engine turned over and eventually started up. If this happened without charging the battery checking, the oil, changing the old gas you have a truly amassing machine. Probably the best way to become familiar with the tractor is to curl up in a comfortable chair with the manuals and pretend they are a good mystery or romance novel. All the information about lubrication. and adjustment may well be in there. You have not specified which manuals are there. Manuals available for tractors usually include Owners manual, Operators manual, Service manual, Repair manual, Parts manual, and could be more as the manufacturer deemed necessary. All of these permutations can them apply to each implement. We have an extensive manuals section (third tab from the left top of this page). If the engine is over revving you need to check out the carburetor/linkage/governor, sections. The link I attached at the top of this post is also at the top of this page. Good luck Don

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.