• Please log in to reply
77 replies to this topic

#31 firedudetl1 OFFLINE  

firedudetl1
  • Member No: 85281
  • 86 Thanks
  • 86 posts

Posted September 04, 2017 - 06:41 AM

good luck with this project - did see a site for dozers but didn"t save it - again good luck....

#32 Alberta Bolens OFFLINE  

Alberta Bolens
  • Member No: 49650
  • 739 Thanks
  • 338 posts

Posted September 04, 2017 - 11:04 AM

I would be careful with the gorilla glue. It expands to fill available space, might just fill the hole Don

Thinking JB weld would be a better option, as long as its not runny.  What ever I try if it does not work I am no worse off than where I am at now.  If not successful I have 2 options.   1 leave it. 2 remove tracks split tractor, huge job.  I would be going with option 1. as there are bolts about every 3 inchs around the housing I doen't think missing one at the top is going to be a problem.  I only need this thing to work 100 hours over the next couple of years to do a landscaping project.

• olcowhand said thank you

#33 secondtry OFFLINE  

secondtry
  • Member No: 83632
  • 1,349 Thanks
  • 1,089 posts

Posted September 04, 2017 - 11:39 AM

You haven't mentioned the size of the bolts. From the pictures they seem substantial. Makes me wonder how they got broken. What do you suspect. Don

• Alberta Bolens and Mark 149 J. have said thanks

#34 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 6,180 Thanks
  • 5,946 posts

Posted September 04, 2017 - 01:43 PM

If you had access to a 3/8" right angle drill and a short bit could you get at it? Seems like it would be doable. 

• olcowhand said thank you

#35 Alberta Bolens OFFLINE  

Alberta Bolens
  • 739 Thanks
  • 338 posts

Posted September 04, 2017 - 08:35 PM

The bolts are 1/2 inch so good sized.  They are about 3 inchs apart all around the housing there are 14 of them.  Several of them were loose, up to a turn.  I think someone had this apart and maybe it wasn't torqued proper.  If 2 or 3 of them were tight or over torqued they could break.  My thoughts.

I am going to look into the angle drill.  I don't think it will fit but I do know someone who has one I can borrow.

Today was a welding and patching day on the fenders, seat and fixing brackets.  

Hate to say it but my Wife won.  I wire brushed the parts I was working on today and painted them.  Nothing fancy just a brush.  Looks better than the bare ancient rust look.  My Wife usally does the painting, unfortunatly she has a bad cold and wasn't able to help today.  She is kind of like a paint elf.  I prepare parts for painting, I go to work and she paints and its done when I get home.  Thats the way I like to paint.  We have to go to Calgary tomorrow I think a Princces Auto stop is called for. I see paint guns on for $25.  Be an early Christmas present for her.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20170904_154905_HDR.jpg
  • 20170904_180020.jpg
  • 20170904_162636.jpg
  • 20170904_154850.jpg
  • 20170904_162648.jpg

• olcowhand, Alc, KennyP and 4 others have said thanks

#36 Alberta Bolens OFFLINE  

Alberta Bolens
  • 739 Thanks
  • 338 posts

Posted September 09, 2017 - 10:09 AM

I discovered the bolts holding the tran and diff together are an odd ball 1/2 with a 16 pitch.  It was common in the UK in the 40's and 50's.  I had very few choices on this.  I could leave the 3 bolts out, I could go to machine shop get new bolts custom cut $$$.  

What I did do.

1st I removed 3 bolts from the top holding the trans cover on and put them down below.  The three holes are external of the trans so no filings or dirt would go into the trans.  easy straight drilling.  I drilled and tapped 3 holes out to 9/16.

I had one broken bolt left to try and remove.  I tried a dremel with a flexable shaft using a small drill bit.  It fit nicely however it turned way to fast for a drill bit.  Wouldn't cut.  I used my 3/8 drill and drilled a smaller hole used small easy out.  Didn't drill very deep into the bolt as I didn't want to damage the threads.  I had to use pliers on the easy out, because whenit turned it was to close to the housing to get wrench on the end.  It did come out you see the angle I drilled at in the photo.  That made me do the happy dance.

The tremclad and brush painting is making it look brighter not so old and rusty.  Certianly not a show piece.  I did buy a cheap paint gun for the wife.  She is pleased.  She is very artistic and kind of OCD.  She likes things clean and fresh looking.  So she paints everything, she did all the out buildings before our reunion last year with brush and roller took her a week.  So she was all for a spray gun.  She also wants an air brush.

I'm on vacation, we are going camping in Jasper to see my youngest son who works there.  Unfortunalty the whole province is pretty well under fire ban so no camp fire and lots of smoke in the air from all the forest fires in BC.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20170906_185615.jpg
  • 20170906_191203.jpg

Edited by Alberta Bolens, September 09, 2017 - 10:10 AM.

• olcowhand, Alc, KennyP and 3 others have said thanks

#37 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 35,791 Thanks
  • 44,563 posts

Posted September 09, 2017 - 11:20 AM

Glad you got it out of there!

• boyscout862 and Alberta Bolens have said thanks

#38 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 6,180 Thanks
  • 5,946 posts

Posted September 09, 2017 - 12:37 PM

It did come out you see the angle I drilled at in the photo. 

You are extremely lucky!!! Good for you.  :thumbs:

#39 camdigger OFFLINE  

camdigger
  • Member No: 70250
  • 773 Thanks
  • 264 posts

Posted September 10, 2017 - 10:40 AM

When you get back from holidays, PM me if you still want replacement bolts. You supply the hex shaft or other machinable material and I will see what I can do with my lathe.

Might cost you some driving/shipping to Central Ab. No guarantee as to time, but I have no other priorities ATM.

#40 Alberta Bolens OFFLINE  

Alberta Bolens
  • 739 Thanks
  • 338 posts

Posted September 15, 2017 - 10:32 PM

When you get back from holidays, PM me if you still want replacement bolts. You supply the hex shaft or other machinable material and I will see what I can do with my lathe.

Might cost you some driving/shipping to Central Ab. No guarantee as to time, but I have no other priorities ATM.

Thanks for the offer.  I drilled out and tapped over sized figured it was easy simple and quickest.

#41 Alberta Bolens OFFLINE  

Alberta Bolens
  • 739 Thanks
  • 338 posts

Posted September 15, 2017 - 11:01 PM

Had a good little holiday.  Weather was good first few days, then it rained Wednesday and Thursday as we drove from Jasper to Lake Louise.  Low cloud no view of the mountains.  Good part is now we have an excuse to go again and do that drive when its nice and clear.

Have both fenders and seat mounted on the machine now. Nice and solid with repaired brackets and missing bolts replaced.

Then I mounted an angle iron to the bell housing to mount the rear engine mounts to.  One side I used a starter bolt the other side a tapped hole that was there.  I lifted and adjusted the motor lining it up before drilling the final holes.  It took a bit of monkeying around to get everything lined up.  There is no or very little enccentric wobble anymore.  

I was going to start it and try moving it tonight.  It was firing almost going to run and the battery started to run down.  Instead of boosting and piddling around I decided to put the charger on for the night.  Tomorrow is another day.

The swather motor has a belt driven govenor on it.  I have to do some research to fine tune the carb and governor.  This thing has been sitting for few years so I am kind of suprissed it even fires.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20170915_133055.jpg
  • 20170915_191951.jpg
  • 20170915_192022.jpg
  • 20170915_192013.jpg

• olcowhand, Alc, KennyP and 4 others have said thanks

#42 Alberta Bolens OFFLINE  

Alberta Bolens
  • 739 Thanks
  • 338 posts

Posted September 17, 2017 - 08:10 PM

Attempt # 2 at getting this thing running.  I had it running for 30 to 40 seconds a couple of times then it would quit.  Backfire, flood that kind of thing.  I disconected the governor which seemed to help, It was getting better each time.  After few trys I notices one of the cable from the solenoid getting hot. So I decided to take the cable off and clean it up.  Dam.  I broke the solenoid.  That was Saturday evening so no parts until Monday.

So I removed and cleaned the carburator, cleaned all the spark plugs again, made sure wires are tight.  I will end up getting a cap and wires.  These have been out in the weather for few years and are bit of sun deteriorated.

I had time to mount the gas tank.  I was gathering material figuring out a bracket, doing all sorts of measuring and planning.  Then when I hoisted it up into place to do some measurements. I discovered the tabs on top would sit on the top of the seat back and there was room to drill a couple of holes at the bottom.  I turned out to be a very simple install.  

I am to the point I have to get the engine running good enough so I can test drive it.  I have drained the oils from the gear boxes and it was milky with water.  No chunks or metal flakes came out.  The gear selector moves nicely between gears and from what little I can see inside through some inspection plates everything looks ok.  Until I get it moving I won't know.  If it moves and drives then the next step is putting the hydralics back together.  Replacing some hoses, $$$$.  

Attached Thumbnails

• 20170917_175600.jpg

• olcowhand, Alc, KennyP and 3 others have said thanks

#43 Mark 149 J. ONLINE  

Mark 149 J.

Mark J.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 78623
  • 1,783 Thanks
  • 1,052 posts

Posted September 18, 2017 - 10:08 AM

Sounds like you've made good progress.  I like the red!

• Alberta Bolens said thank you

#44 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 15,172 Thanks
  • 8,579 posts

Posted September 18, 2017 - 06:43 PM

Good progress

#45 firedudetl1 OFFLINE  

firedudetl1
  • Member No: 85281
  • 86 Thanks
  • 86 posts

Posted September 20, 2017 - 06:47 AM

thanks for all the updates - good luck with it - seems like you're really making progress