#16 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 6,185 Thanks
  • 5,948 posts

Posted August 24, 2017 - 11:38 PM

Thanks for allowing us to see your progress. I love projects like this and it 's going to be fun to watch as you work your way through this.  :D

From this vantage point I'd say your right to be concerned about the misalignment of the engine and transmission. 

• boyscout862 and Alberta Bolens have said thanks

#17 Alc OFFLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 6,562 Thanks
  • 7,304 posts

Posted August 25, 2017 - 05:24 AM

I give credit for the person who came up with the idea of just setting the motor right in the original oil pan :thumbs:  of course you'll get extra credit for getting it to actually work . :worshippy1: 

• Cvans, boyscout862, Alberta Bolens and 2 others have said thanks

#18 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 5,373 Thanks
  • 3,267 posts

Posted August 25, 2017 - 07:56 AM

What a toy to have in your garage. It seems like things are working out well for you. Do you have much history about the PO. It seems this was his project at one time. I would try to locate family they may have a barn full of needed parts. This will be a fun project to follow.
  • Cvans, boyscout862 and Alberta Bolens have said thanks

#19 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 15,187 Thanks
  • 8,585 posts

Posted August 25, 2017 - 08:41 PM

Nice dozer. Looking forward to seeing it running. 

• boyscout862 and Alberta Bolens have said thanks

#20 Alberta Bolens OFFLINE  

Alberta Bolens
  • Member No: 49650
  • 740 Thanks
  • 338 posts

Posted August 25, 2017 - 09:07 PM

Thanks for the comments.  This project is lot different than a GT at the same time the same, only the parts are one heck of a lot heavier.  As my sister said when she saw it.  "Oh thats larger than normal"  LOL  

I'm looking forward to getting it running half decent and the work I can get done with it.  Going to be huge over a GT and I've never run anything on tracks before.  That should be entertaining

• KennyP, Cvans, WrenchinOnIt and 4 others have said thanks

#21 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 35,889 Thanks
  • 44,623 posts

Posted August 26, 2017 - 05:30 AM

I would suggest you get it well away from the house/garage before you start learning how to work it!

• olcowhand, Alc, Cvans and 4 others have said thanks

#22 Alberta Bolens OFFLINE  

Alberta Bolens
  • 740 Thanks
  • 338 posts

Posted August 26, 2017 - 03:25 PM

I would suggest you get it well away from the house/garage before you start learning how to work it!

Thats the plan. LOL  The clutch is operated by the right foot.  Could be spooky.

• KennyP, Cvans, boyscout862 and 1 other said thanks

#23 Alberta Bolens OFFLINE  

Alberta Bolens
  • 740 Thanks
  • 338 posts

Posted August 26, 2017 - 09:35 PM

I removed the engine today, that was the easy part.  I used a grinder to trim some material off of the cast iron oil pan so the 6 banger will fit better.  That worked ok.  Its still going ot be a tight fit.

The gas engine flywheeland bell housing is in place then there are spacers to a plate that is the flywheel for the clutch.  The spline is a short shaft on bearing with a spur gear that grives the transmission.  Not like a truck where the trans input shaft goes into a pilot bearing in the crank.  

I look at this and think maybe I should get some heavy wall channel iron and make a new frame for the engine.  I see how it fits tomorrow that may decide for me. 

Attached Thumbnails

• 20170826_163338.jpg
  • 20170826_163448.jpg
  • 20170826_161723.jpg

• olcowhand, KennyP, Cvans and 3 others have said thanks

#24 Alberta Bolens OFFLINE  

Alberta Bolens
  • 740 Thanks
  • 338 posts

Posted August 27, 2017 - 09:47 PM

Today I have the engine in place.  I put in and out 3 or 4 times I had to take a couple of corners off.  Its sitting a lot better.  Not 100% but really good.  Of course the engone is lower to the deck of the old oil pan.  So I had to build new motor mounts.  Its going to be really tight getting the lower bolt in now as the engine is sitting lower, it will do for now.  It was a very time consuming day.  The motor is in place, clutch and bell housing is bolted together, and motor mounts are built & painted.

I am kind of concerned about the cast iron of the old oil pan.  I had to grind the corners thin in some spots and I wonder if the vibration could cause the cast iron to crack in time.  If that happens then it will be time for a new front frame.

I have discovered that the gentleman who started this project was very handy with a torch.  He didn't drill holes he tourched holes.  He also used what ever bolts he had laying around, different sizes all over the repower part of this thing.  To top it off the bolts he used and the ford engine are imperial, the David Brown is metric.  At least all my tools are getting used and dusted off. LOL

Edited by Alberta Bolens, August 27, 2017 - 09:52 PM.

• olcowhand, Alc, KennyP and 5 others have said thanks

#25 Alberta Bolens OFFLINE  

Alberta Bolens
  • 740 Thanks
  • 338 posts

Posted September 02, 2017 - 11:17 PM

I didn't get much wrench time in this week until today.  However during the week I did manage to collect some needed pieces.  I found a swather near by that had the rad I needed, I also scored the hood and tin as well as regulator, lights and few other odds and ends.  I had to buy a new fuel pump.  At work we have a slip tank with desiel that has been sitting for 5 or 6 years.  I brought home a couple of jerry cans of it, and a empty plastic 45 gal drum.  Drum is for used oil.

Last night I installed the fuel pump and cleaned up the new rad and mounted it.  Today I finnished installing the rad put water in, I have to make different rear engine mounts now.  I drained all the gear box oils.  I filled the gear boxs with the old desiel to rinse/clean out the gear boxes. The oil was pretty murky.  This thing is THIRSTY.  it took 10 gallons to fill the gear boxes to the add line.  I discovered the gear boxs leak.  Darn.  

I removed the seat and took off the right fender.  The fender was kind of hanging and needs to be fixed up, the seat needs repair too.  A cushion would be nice.  LOL.  Once I had the fender and seat off I can see a lot of the the gear boxes much better.  As I was cleaning 65 year old gunk up looking to see were the leak is.  I discovered that some of the bolts are loose and looks like couple are missing  connecting the transmission to the differential.  As I tighened some of the bolts up the leak slowed down considerably.  Now I need to remove the other fender so I can get at that side and tighten things up. I have to do a lot more cleaning and checking it out. looks like I got lucky there as it looks like its only loose missing bolts. 

One photo is from the back with seat and fender removed. 

The photos with the wrenchs are showing the bolts that are loose.  

Santa can I please have a pressure washer for Christmas??

post-49650-0-37996300-1504411847.jpg     post-49650-0-96876900-1504411887.jpg

post-49650-0-48848800-1504411927.jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• 20170902_191632.jpg
  • 20170902_191652.jpg
  • 20170902_191705.jpg

Edited by KennyP, September 03, 2017 - 06:55 AM.
Adjust Gravity

• olcowhand, Alc, Cvans and 4 others have said thanks

#26 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 15,187 Thanks
  • 8,585 posts

Posted September 03, 2017 - 12:05 PM

Making good progress

• Alberta Bolens said thank you

#27 Alberta Bolens OFFLINE  

Alberta Bolens
  • 740 Thanks
  • 338 posts

Posted September 03, 2017 - 11:43 PM

Today I discovered the 3 bolts holding the trans n diff together are broken not missing like I had previously thought.  I did manage to drill and easy out 2 of them.  The third one I won't be able to get at to drill out.  Its the top hole in the photo.  Part of the housing is in the way and I only have maybe 3 inch of room.  I may just have to leave it.  Anyone have ideas how to remove it without disassembling the tractor?  

I welded up the seat and changed out some grease fittings.  Most of the grease fittings took grease and the ones I changed took grease too.  I only have 2 that are not taking grease and they are on a large threaded rod for adjusting the track.  

It was one of those days, several hours of time consuming small stuff.  

I did acquire a heavy duty fuel tank.  I will have to build brackets and mount it behind the seat.  

My wife is wanting to paint it.  Its pretty oily and has years of dirt built up, I'm scrapping and cleaning as I go, I don't think I can get it clean enough to do a half decent job.  She has even suggested I get a spay gun.  Hmm.  

Attached Thumbnails

• 20170903_182531.jpg
  • 20170903_173820.jpg

• olcowhand, Alc, KennyP and 3 others have said thanks

#28 secondtry OFFLINE  

secondtry
  • Member No: 83632
  • 1,350 Thanks
  • 1,090 posts

Posted September 04, 2017 - 12:12 AM

How deep in is the bolt broken off. would it be possible to weld a nut to it thru the center of the nut like a plug weld? Don

• boyscout862, SupplySergeant and Mark 149 J. have said thanks

#29 Alberta Bolens OFFLINE  

Alberta Bolens
  • 740 Thanks
  • 338 posts

Posted September 04, 2017 - 12:55 AM

How deep in is the bolt broken off. would it be possible to weld a nut to it thru the center of the nut like a plug weld? Don

Its broken off in at least 1/3 inch.  To far in.

The other bolts were not very tight they turned easy once I had the easy out in them. Wonder would bit of gorilla glue on a smaller bolt be enough. Clam o it in place until its dry.  Think I give that a try tomorrow.  If it doesn't work I will be no worse off than I am now.  

I did find out tonight this beast wieghs in at 11,000 LBs with desiel and no blade.  This one with that 9 ft blade and gas engine I betting is close to 12,000 lbs.

I also found the final gear reduction in 1st gear low range is 125 to 1  Holy stump pulling.  At 1600 RPM only .945 MPH   

Edited by Alberta Bolens, September 04, 2017 - 12:59 AM.

• olcowhand, KennyP, WrenchinOnIt and 2 others have said thanks

#30 secondtry OFFLINE  

secondtry
  • Member No: 83632
  • 1,350 Thanks
  • 1,090 posts

Posted September 04, 2017 - 01:26 AM

Its broken off in at least 1/3 inch.  To far in.

The other bolts were not very tight they turned easy once I had the easy out in them. Wonder would bit of gorilla glue on a smaller bolt be enough. Clam o it in place until its dry.  Think I give that a try tomorrow.  If it doesn't work I will be no worse off than I am now.  

I did find out tonight this beast wieghs in at 11,000 LBs with desiel and no blade.  This one with that 9 ft blade and gas engine I betting is close to 12,000 lbs.

I also found the final gear reduction in 1st gear low range is 125 to 1  Holy stump pulling.  At 1600 RPM only .945 MPH   

I would be careful with the gorilla glue. It expands to fill available space, might just fill the hole Don

• Cvans, boyscout862 and Mark 149 J. have said thanks