#1 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 8,501 Thanks
  • 7,856 posts

Posted August 12, 2017 - 08:54 PM

Went to Lagrange, IN show today, found this, walked away, came back, walked, then just before leaving put money down, made plans to retrieve later, next Sat. $500, ran great. 22hp Kohler, 3pt and deck.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20170812_143702.jpg

• olcowhand, Gtractor, akretowicz and 6 others have said thanks

#2 Cat385B OFFLINE  

Cat385B

HAZMAT CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 13,526 Thanks
  • 9,821 posts

Posted August 12, 2017 - 10:10 PM

22 hp? Wow, that must be one of the last years they made that model. Looks to be great cosmetically.

#3 Mark 149 J. ONLINE  

Mark 149 J.

Mark J.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 78623
  • 1,874 Thanks
  • 1,105 posts

Posted August 12, 2017 - 11:42 PM

Nice looking tractor!  Looks to be in very good shape.  Does it have a 60" deck?

#4 MolonLabe OFFLINE  

MolonLabe

Rust Wrangler

• Member No: 59683
  • 551 Thanks
  • 319 posts

Posted August 13, 2017 - 02:17 AM

Nice score! I really like mine, don't have a deck for it but can't imagine using it to cut grass anyway.  You can get the manual from the MTD web site, you want the one for model number 145-999-401 

Edited by MolonLabe, August 13, 2017 - 03:18 AM.

• KennyP and boyscout862 have said thanks

#5 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 8,501 Thanks
  • 7,856 posts

Posted August 13, 2017 - 10:21 AM

Hey, thanks for the link. Does have missing side panel on left side if any around. Guess White will be same?  Not sure on others. Not sure what size deck, didn't even look close at that.

#6 MolonLabe OFFLINE  

MolonLabe

Rust Wrangler

• Member No: 59683
  • 551 Thanks
  • 319 posts

Posted August 14, 2017 - 02:35 PM

Gary you will find that it is one awesome tractor. 22hp hydro coupled to a 2 speed transaxle = perfection. I used to mow and chemically treat the right of way behind my house, now I just doze it out with the YaRD MaN. No Canadian thistle, dandelion, crabgrass, nothing but bare dirt when finished. 

Edited by MolonLabe, August 14, 2017 - 02:36 PM.

#7 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 8,501 Thanks
  • 7,856 posts

Posted August 19, 2017 - 10:21 PM

Can't find manuals wanted, even at the MTD site.   I can find the Owner's manual, but want a parts or service, which won't come up. Think even the White brand if had numbers would work, but maybe same issue. I've tried a few other places, but they don't work and give me small equipment stuff, not garden tractors. A to Z is one I've tried, but that makes many goofy things show, blenders and lawn tools and who knows what. My numbers are below, now that tractor is home here.

Model  146-999-401

Serial 1C276H50002

Low ending serial mean is only 2nd one made?? or with starting with 5 is maybe 2nd one for the fifth year then?  Saw tag stating met some standards for 1990, so anyone figure what year this is?  Not sure if that year, or if the standard covered many years of manufacture.

Edited by glgrumpy, August 19, 2017 - 10:23 PM.

• KennyP said thank you

#8 VTXrider OFFLINE  

VTXrider
  • Member No: 16031
  • 515 Thanks
  • 372 posts

Posted August 20, 2017 - 10:10 AM

Looking on the MTD public domain site. There is a parts list but no service manual as you said. MTD may be able to help if you called them.

Attached Files

• Mark 149 J. said thank you

#9 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 8,501 Thanks
  • 7,856 posts

Posted August 20, 2017 - 11:08 AM

VTX, thanks for that link! Not sure why I couldn't get it to work.  Looks mostly same as the one I got for the 995 here, cept shows the V-twin and diff wiring then. I had right mower deck from here also looks like. I need all that roller section from back and mounts if you have or know of any to get. Not sure why it is missing. Thinking with blades upside down, it didn't cut until way low and they took off to make lower. Go figure?  Things get tossed aside and lost that way.  One thing for sure is this deck is heavy, takes all I can do to move it around when off.

#10 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 8,501 Thanks
  • 7,856 posts

Posted August 20, 2017 - 08:13 PM

Was out today messing some with tractor. Oiled stuff and greased stuff. The Brake/return pedal is much better now, don't have to pull up after start. Still a little sticky, yet pops up when using the drive lever now. When pressed it stops right now!  I'm supposing one should be able to slow with it and still stay going. Maybe a little more use and lube working into it. Lubed all the drive links. Got the front of shaft off the pto now. I see one bad bearing right there on that shaft, haven't got the front off yet. Took the cover off there, but need to remove the pulley to see the bearing??  I see two holes in pulley that align with bearing bolts, so maybe that is way it has to come out?  Has snap ring on shaft, but I bet rusty and will be hard to take off. Soaking now just in case. I took it out and drove around operating things lubed, including the choke and throttle, all better.  NOW, gonna have to go after some wiring for lights and the ammeter is goofy too. Shows on my meter gauge 14.1 for charge, yet it goes to neg 20, sometimes comes up some, back down again. They have it wired right off battery, think they added it, not a stock gauge.

Need the whole roller assembly for deck. Working on a link that was bent up for mower height in front. Need that side panel that was missing and the dash plastic has four broken corners and comes off easy. I could make a metal one for that easily I guess. Here's some pix out of manual.

Attached Thumbnails

• img029.jpg
  • img028.jpg

#11 VTXrider OFFLINE  

VTXrider
  • Member No: 16031
  • 515 Thanks
  • 372 posts

Posted August 21, 2017 - 08:54 AM

The brake on these tractors is for starting and parking only. It is not meant to slow the tractor. All motion and stopping is controlled by the motion control lever. Emergency stopping will move the motion lever to neutral and apply the brake.

The rear roller assembly is a poor design and is why it was taken off. It is so long with no center support that it bends the shaft and stops rolling. It is ok for very smooth lawns, which most owners not have. I converted the adjustable height brackets to 5" hard wheels.

#12 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 8,501 Thanks
  • 7,856 posts

Posted August 21, 2017 - 06:07 PM

OK, got home and talking to neighbor with big Simplicity tractor. Told him I was looking for rollers. HE HAD a bunch of them, changed on his tractor, but not real bad worn, he gave them to me. Heh, right at home. They are 1" bore though, think orig is 3/4" on mine. BUT, seeing I'll probly be making it anyway, guess can do a 1" rod.  Maybe that will keep from bending then?? OR, guess could make a center support maybe?  Will be looking and thinking on it.