• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 sgt_waddle OFFLINE  

sgt_waddle
  • Member No: 87967
  • 0 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted August 12, 2017 - 06:49 PM

Hello. This is my first post. I apologize if it is in the wrong place or something.

I have come across a Massey Ferguson 2718 for sale, and I cant really find any information on it. It has a Vanguard 18 hp engine and a locking differential. The only real info I found looked like they stopped making these around 2001. But this unit doesnt appear to be nearly that old. It is really clean.

I just have questions about it and can find nothing online from anyone reviewing it, etc. It is almost like they never existed.

I have a yard with pretty steep hills and I am wondering about how it will handle them and whether or not it is worth the asking price.

Can someone please help me? Really almost any info would be great.

Thanks

Attached Thumbnails

• 2718.JPG

#2 dropped82 ONLINE  

dropped82

Nut Case

• Member No: 9923
  • 2,306 Thanks
  • 1,731 posts

Posted August 12, 2017 - 07:01 PM

I'll let others chime in but you might get more answers in the simplicity subforum on here. Maybe a mod wants to also put a link for this over there.

Oh and welcome to gttalk.com!!! Best bunch of GT addicts around. This is a tough machine to place. Even though it's a Massey, simplicity guys know it better.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Edited by dropped82, August 13, 2017 - 08:46 AM.

• Alc said thank you

#3 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 39,522 Thanks
  • 30,938 posts

Posted August 12, 2017 - 07:02 PM

Built by Simplicity.  Simplicity has the same model with their badge on it...2718H.  Looks like they built them from 95 to 2002.  And I've heard nothing but good about these machines.

• Alc and dropped82 have said thanks

#4 dropped82 ONLINE  

dropped82

Nut Case

• Member No: 9923
  • 2,306 Thanks
  • 1,731 posts

Posted August 12, 2017 - 07:05 PM

Built by Simplicity. Simplicity has the same model with their badge on it...2718H. Looks like they built them from 95 to 2002. And I've heard nothing but good about these machines.

I thought these were the Legacys but maybe I'm wrong here.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

#5 Oldford OFFLINE  

Oldford
  • Member No: 50409
  • 1,134 Thanks
  • 786 posts

Posted August 13, 2017 - 05:05 AM

According to this there was a 42" front blade and maybe a tiller, which means it was probably built pretty rugged.  vertical shaft not the best but not a deal breaker imo

http://www.tractorda...ttachments.html

Looking at this pic it has 12" rear wheels and 5-bolt hubs which is a good sign as far as a rugged transaxle for going up and down big hills, also wheel weights/chains are easy to find and can probably handle them

2718h.jpg

According to this ad it has power steering although who knows what the guy really knows, although he has a sense of humor

http://annapolis-md....s_21408769.html

You think, but I just moved in and can't afford the $10,000 machine. Yes, you can, for $2200.

you asked about if it worth the asking price but didn't say what it was, or where you live.  or how many hours on it.  Some places cost more than others but if it runs and cuts good, charges the battery, deck not rusted out with under 1000 hours it's probably worth 6-800.  Maybe more if it actually has power steering and you can find parts for it somewhere.  usually on the newer ones the deck spindles wear out pretty quick, and steering/front end components

Although looking at the op's pic it doesn't say H after the model #, the hydro lever is on the back fender, which doesn't show in the more rugged-looking pics i found online, and can't tell if the rear wheels are 12" or not.  maybe the non-h model is different so my comments may not be relevant, who knows, good luck

Edited by Oldford, August 13, 2017 - 05:11 AM.

• Alc and dropped82 have said thanks

#6 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8923
  • 12,134 Thanks
  • 8,862 posts

Posted August 13, 2017 - 08:29 AM

Welcome to GTT. Check our Manuals Section for info too. Good Luck, Rick
  • dropped82 said thank you

#7 sgt_waddle OFFLINE  

sgt_waddle
  • 0 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted August 13, 2017 - 10:41 AM

Thanks guys.

I believe it had approximately 500 hours. The deck is in very good shape. He is asking 2000 but offered 500 worth of trade-in for my Craftsman GT-5000 with a busted rear end. I live in WV.

I guess the engine only being 18hp has me a little concerned too. But I know from using my neighbor's machine that the step on locking rear differential helps a lot.

He said he thought it was only like 6 years old, but I dont see that as a real possibility. I am not saying that is a deal breaker tho.

I am new to Massey Ferguson's, but compared to other older garden tractors I have been very surprised how little info I can find online about it. Is that normal with Massey's?

Thanks again.

#8 sgt_waddle OFFLINE  

sgt_waddle
  • 0 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted August 13, 2017 - 10:43 AM

Built by Simplicity.  Simplicity has the same model with their badge on it...2718H.  Looks like they built them from 95 to 2002.  And I've heard nothing but good about these machines.

Thanks Olcowhand, did you mean you have heard only good about Simplicity machines or that that you have actually heard a lot about this 2718 model specifically?

Thanks again.

#9 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 39,522 Thanks
  • 30,938 posts

Posted August 13, 2017 - 11:18 AM

Thanks Olcowhand, did you mean you have heard only good about Simplicity machines or that that you have actually heard a lot about this 2718 model specifically?

Thanks again.

Just all their machines of that time period.  Wish I could tell you more specifically.

• KennyP said thank you

#10 ACmowerguy OFFLINE  

ACmowerguy
  • Member No: 67204
  • 384 Thanks
  • 354 posts

Posted August 18, 2017 - 10:26 PM

Tractor looks nice. Its the same as a Simplicity conquest. If you can find out the MFR# we can find out more info. I believe it is much newer than 2001, as the conquest was not even offered until 2002.