tinner

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 961
  • 502 Thanks
  • 1,561 posts

Posted June 21, 2011 - 09:43 PM

My younger brother who lives in Pflugerville, TX about 45 miles from me picked up 4 new in the box Craftsman 55 pound weights today he found on Craigslist only 7 miles from my house. (That aint right.) He paid $60 for all four weights, a steal of a deal. Each box had directions in them and I learned that they came with 2ea. 1/2" x 13 x 8 1/2" bolts and 1ea. 1/2" x 13 x 13" bolt. The instructions say that when plowing you are to put 2 weights on the left wheel using the 13" long bolt from both boxes to attach the outside weight. I guess that's to add extra weight to the high side wheel. Never heard that before. Oh, when he got home he weighed the unopened boxes on two different scales and they weighed only 50 pounds each rather than 55 advertised pounds.

#2 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,316 Thanks
  • 28,634 posts

Posted June 21, 2011 - 09:49 PM

My younger brother who lives in Pflugerville, TX about 45 miles from me picked up 4 new in the box Craftsman 55 pound weights today he found on Craigslist only 7 miles from my house. (That aint right.) He paid $60 for all four weights, a steal of a deal. Each box had directions in them and I learned that they came with 2ea. 1/2" x 13 x 8 1/2" bolts and 1ea. 1/2" x 13 x 13" bolt. The instructions say that when plowing you are to put 2 weights on the left wheel using the 13" long bolt from both boxes to attach the outside weight. I guess that's to add extra weight to the high side wheel. Never heard that before. Oh, when he got home he weighed the unopened boxes on two different scales and they weighed only 50 pounds each rather than 55 advertised pounds.

Great deal. Those are still around for reasonable once in a while.

The weight loss is the dry heat down there... No water in the sand/cement anymore. :laughingteeth:

I have heard of guys filling one tire for the same effect. Then they can leave the weights on normally. I haven't found it to be a major issue, but that's probably why you see guys sitting on the left fender (George)... Or was that trying to keep the tractor right side up?

#3 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted June 21, 2011 - 10:08 PM

I think I saw George attempt to ride the left fender of the Bush Hog at plow day but he opted against it do to the railing designed to keep you in the seat. :bigrofl:
I never left my seat cause I needed the traction on both sides. I really needed those tires filled, so going to buy a new set. But that"s another story for a designated thread. (next month lol)

#4 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted June 21, 2011 - 10:12 PM

Ronnie, I saw those weights on CL last week. I didn't realize they were close to you, not know where the DingDong, TX.:confuse:. Mapquest can't find it anywhere...:bigrofl:

#5 tinner OFFLINE  

tinner

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 961
  • 502 Thanks
  • 1,561 posts

Posted June 21, 2011 - 10:20 PM

Brian, Here's the mapquest link, look 9.8 miles north of Florence on Highway 195. Put a space between Ding and Dong.

MapQuest Maps - Driving Directions - Map

#6 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted June 21, 2011 - 10:50 PM

Thanks Ronnie, found it..

#7 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted June 22, 2011 - 03:29 PM

...I never left my seat cause I needed the traction on both sides...

Casey you could put two of you on the left fender and not make any difference :poke: :bigrofl:

#8 bhts OFFLINE  

bhts

Bob's Lawn and Garden Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 945
  • 1,413 Thanks
  • 2,117 posts

Posted June 22, 2011 - 03:49 PM

Casey you could put two of you on the left fender and not make any difference :poke: :bigrofl:

:bigrofl::bigrofl::bigrofl:

#9 tankdriver OFFLINE  

tankdriver

• Member No: 3674
  • 2 Thanks
  • 23 posts

Posted June 22, 2011 - 06:26 PM

I have 2 of those on my PGT9000. Sears says that putting 1 on each of the back wheels can make it hard to steer. Twice while trying to steer hard on wet grass, the front tire just skidded, and the tract just went straight. I still have one on each wheel. I just now know to be careful.