skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,909 Thanks
  • 3,411 posts

Posted August 12, 2017 - 05:39 AM

Or should I say photo trash bucket! Looks like they are falling right in line with everyone else and finding ways to hijack something for a ransome!
Looks like Ill have to back up all my photos from them before they stop that as well and then delete the account... what a shame...
  • Gtractor, Sawdust, Oldford and 1 other said thanks

#2 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 40,928 Thanks
  • 47,123 posts

Posted August 12, 2017 - 05:50 AM

I gave up on them years ago.

• Sawdust, Oldford and chieffan have said thanks

#3 Gtractor OFFLINE  

Gtractor

the homeless tractor hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 9,797 Thanks
  • 5,095 posts

Posted August 12, 2017 - 05:57 AM

I still own everything that I had pic's of on there so I need to get some stuff dug out and new pic's taken. 

There's probably only 6-8 things that I don't have copies of the pics elsewhere anyhow.

PhotoSucket  already had so much unnecessary crap to load that it was a real chore to get my pics and gave my 'putor a hernia.

Sure as heck ain't paying PhotoSucket to see my own pic's!

No big loss I say. 

• Sawdust, Oldford and chieffan have said thanks

#4 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 11,362 Thanks
  • 7,116 posts

Posted August 12, 2017 - 07:10 AM

My pictures are mine and don't need them stored in anyone else's  bucket, cloud or any where else.  CD's are cheap, especially when you pick them up at an auction.  All of the manuals I have used for my tractors are on a CD.  Run them on a laptop in the shop.  12" screen and no dinky little phone image you cant read.

Edited by chieffan, August 12, 2017 - 07:11 AM.

• KennyP said thank you

#5 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 6,154 Thanks
  • 3,548 posts

Posted August 12, 2017 - 08:01 AM

Wow I got some work to do. I probably have thousands of pics on PB. I have hundreds of model train projects on there. One good thing I have them organized into folders.

#6 larrybl OFFLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 415
  • 7,464 Thanks
  • 4,580 posts

Posted August 12, 2017 - 05:41 PM

I have noticed my older YouTube videos have disappeared.

#7 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • 6,154 Thanks
  • 3,548 posts

Posted January 02, 2018 - 08:15 PM

I went back on PB to see if my pics were still there. Everything is as I left it a few years ago. I had trouble logging in but I had to request a change in my pass word. I'm getting back into model trains & since about all my pics on there are about my projects I need to try & get them off before loosing them. One other modeler told me PB said in order for him to use his pics again he would have a fee of $400-$500. to be paid. He basically told them to hold their breath. I have 1,049 pics on there, most I have downloaded on my desk top. What would be the best way to pull these off to store for later use. I'm thinking a separate hard drive if so what size should I be looking at. Thanks for any suggestions.

• Jazz said thank you

#8 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • 6,154 Thanks
  • 3,548 posts

Posted January 04, 2018 - 06:09 PM

Too cold out so I went on my PB account & what a mess. Advertisements dancing all over the screen to the point you have to constantly click them off to see your screen. Funny they have an option, to have a advertisement free account you have to pay $2.49 a month. They charge to have advertising then have you pay to not see it.  :shoot2:

I spent about four hours today & downloaded most of my pics. I made folders in my pic gallery & placed them in there. It worked out great. They have to be downloaded one pic at a time. It's such a repetitious project I got to quick & the pics didn't load then I had to go back & reload a few. I have to do some more tomorrow & then I'll consider cancelling my account.

Since I'm getting back into model trains I visited some old forums. It's really sad to see so many pics gone that had so much knowledge of how to's & people's projects. One good thing I realized the model train forum that I was heavily a part of is totally gone & along with that were members pics also. I never used their data base for mine so I put them all on PB. It's worked out good for me. I'm going to try a test pic from one of my pics I downloaded to see if it stay's up.

DSCF4862.JPG

• KennyP and 29 Chev have said thanks

#9 29 Chev ONLINE  

29 Chev

A Little Off Plumb

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 63590
  • 10,269 Thanks
  • 3,333 posts

Posted January 04, 2018 - 06:47 PM

Too cold out so I went on my PB account & what a mess. Advertisements dancing all over the screen to the point you have to constantly click them off to see your screen. Funny they have an option, to have a advertisement free account you have to pay $2.49 a month. They charge to have advertising then have you pay to not see it.  :shoot2:

I spent about four hours today & downloaded most of my pics. I made folders in my pic gallery & placed them in there. It worked out great. They have to be downloaded one pic at a time. It's such a repetitious project I got to quick & the pics didn't load then I had to go back & reload a few. I have to do some more tomorrow & then I'll consider cancelling my account.

Something to remember is that as you say web sites can disappear and if you don't have backups of your pictures they can disappear with the web site (including PB or this site).  For the cost of one or two external hard drive (or a bunch of CD's) for minimal expense you can have a backup that you can store off site (in garage or at a relatives or neighbours place) and rotate on a regular basis to ensure that you have an easy to find backup source of your pictures or other hard to replace data - just a suggestion.

The picture you posted looks like you invested a bit of time and expense into the hobby - nice job. 

• KennyP and Sawdust have said thanks

#10 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 8,310 Thanks
  • 5,804 posts

Posted January 10, 2018 - 07:59 AM

I started downloading my pics off PB to a file. I'm really ticked, some of my pics are giving me that "update your account to share to 3rd party" when I try to see my large pics. I can save them, but only a small microscopic pic. I can't even see my own pics on my own account without upgrading... :wallbanging: :wallbanging: :mad2: :mad2: :mad2: :mad2:

• Sawdust said thank you

#11 tater195 OFFLINE  

tater195

I dont deny your history..... dont deny mine

• Member No: 62468
  • 2,264 Thanks
  • 1,443 posts

Posted January 10, 2018 - 08:56 AM

I tried to download my pics a few months ago after switching to a faster ISP. No download option. I had to open and save the pics 1 at a time. PITA

• Sawdust said thank you

#12 MFDAC OFFLINE  

MFDAC

Only member from Western South Dakota!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5815
  • 3,592 Thanks
  • 1,710 posts

Posted January 10, 2018 - 09:54 PM

That "photo hosting" stuff sure seems like a scam. Around 10-12 years ago I had pics on one called "webshots". Back at that time (actually there still are) a lot of old time internet forums that you couldn't even post pics on without a host. One day all of a sudden webshots just closed up and everyone lost what was on there. From that day on, I am the only one that hosts my pictures and I don't bother posting on forums that require a link from a host.

Sorry about the "hostage situation" some of you seem to be facing!

DAC

• KennyP said thank you