Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

What is the proper size of a mower drive belt for a 42" Jacobsen mower deck?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 littletime OFFLINE  

littletime
  • Member No: 51758
  • 13 Thanks
  • 39 posts

Posted August 11, 2017 - 09:56 PM

Looking for the proper length of a mower drive belt on a 68 Jacobsen 1250 Superchief. Think its about 138 or 137.25. Just not sure and will have to order.

#2 littletime OFFLINE  

littletime
  • Member No: 51758
  • 13 Thanks
  • 39 posts

Posted August 11, 2017 - 09:58 PM

Also, could use the size for the main drive belt for the same machine. 12 HP Hydro. Thanks to all who respond.

#3 Oldford OFFLINE  

Oldford
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 50409
  • 1,134 Thanks
  • 786 posts

Posted August 12, 2017 - 11:57 AM

I had a 68 Ford 120 hydro (which i think is the same tractor) where I had removed both belts and measured them, then wrote the size in my manual.  Unfortunately i sold the tractor, but i remember once somebody asking for the belt size and when i posted what mine was, somebody else said that his tractor used a different size. 

Before the internet i found the best way was to go the local hardware or auto parts store where they had belts on pegs by length.  I'd measure the pulleys first to get a ballpark figure.  Then if i guessed wrong i'd take the belt back and get the next size up or down. 

Here are some threads that may get you started on the drive belt, looks like 70" ballpark for a starter

http://gardentractor...per-chief-1200/

http://gardentractor...0 belt length

A quick internet search for the deck belt somebody said 144", that would be tougher to guess b/c it has to make some twists and turns around the vertical pulleys.  Not knowing for sure i wouldn't mail order an expensive belt, plus the turnaround time is longer than local if you can do that.