• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Diesel79 OFFLINE  

Diesel79
  • Member No: 87930
  • 0 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted August 09, 2017 - 07:26 PM

My friend has a sixties case 224 with Kohler 14 HP with a horizontal shaft and counterclockwise rotation. Can anyone recommend an electric clutch for this conversion from manual. I have the shaft done for a 1 inch diameter clutch with 1/4 keyway. The clutch will be mounted with the pulley side toward the flywheel. I believe this would make the clutch a clockwise rotation for the clutch springs. I saw a conversion on the web but no info was given on the clutch he used. Thanks in advance for any help and info.

#2 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 11,849 Thanks
  • 8,688 posts

Posted August 09, 2017 - 08:38 PM

Welcome to GTT. I don't understand your question but want to help. I suggest that you download the Case Manual from our Manuals Section and see if it can answer your question. If not, post some pics on here and try again. We try to help. Good Luck, Rick

#3 stiemmy OFFLINE  

stiemmy
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53712
  • 2,527 Thanks
  • 1,827 posts

Posted August 09, 2017 - 09:01 PM

I can't help with your particular model machine, but I would think the clutch rotation should not change, and stay counter clockwise.

#4 BigFlash ONLINE  

BigFlash

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 7324
  • 241 Thanks
  • 132 posts

Posted August 09, 2017 - 09:27 PM

If the clutch is any one of the electric units for a k series kohler I've seen. It will spin the same direction as the pto shaft on the engine.

#5 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 38,841 Thanks
  • 30,711 posts

Posted August 09, 2017 - 09:38 PM

Since the clutch will go on the flywheel side for this application, any PTO clutch for std crank output shafts won't work.  Diesel79 seems to understand this, but unfortunately I have no idea what clutch would work.  Now if one could take the rivets out of a std clutch, then place the clutch load straps in the opposite angle, then it would work.

• tractorgarden said thank you

#6 gopher OFFLINE  

gopher
  • Member No: 2755
  • 742 Thanks
  • 746 posts

Posted August 09, 2017 - 09:40 PM

My friend has a sixties case 224 with Kohler 14 HP with a horizontal shaft and counterclockwise rotation. Can anyone recommend an electric clutch for this conversion from manual. I have the shaft done for a 1 inch diameter clutch with 1/4 keyway. The clutch will be mounted with the pulley side toward the flywheel. I believe this would make the clutch a clockwise rotation for the clutch springs. I saw a conversion on the web but no info was given on the clutch he used. Thanks in advance for any help and info.

I see where your going flipping clutch to run clockwise on counterclockwise motor. Then find way to anchor other end. With all that can you get the pulley out far enough to lineup with mule pulleys? 

#7 tractorgarden OFFLINE  

tractorgarden

Junk Whisperer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 2291
  • 1,294 Thanks
  • 1,443 posts

Posted August 09, 2017 - 09:44 PM

Since the clutch will go on the flywheel side for this application, any PTO clutch for std crank output shafts won't work.  Diesel79 seems to understand this, but unfortunately I have no idea what clutch would work.  Now if one could take the rivets out of a std clutch, then place the clutch load straps in the opposite angle, then it would work.

steel body Power king clutch should be what he is looking for. what the PK guys call a long hood. Im thinking 1973-74 to 84. could get the flywheel adapter from one also. Shawn

#8 tractorgarden OFFLINE  

tractorgarden

Junk Whisperer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 2291
  • 1,294 Thanks
  • 1,443 posts

Posted August 09, 2017 - 09:46 PM

Member, username probably has a stockpile for sale.

#9 dropped82 ONLINE  

dropped82

Nut Case

• Member No: 9923
  • 2,160 Thanks
  • 1,649 posts

Posted August 10, 2017 - 07:35 AM

There used to be a conversion kit out there for exactly what your doing. It was pretty expensive and didn't really catch on. Is the original gone?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

#10 dropped82 ONLINE  

dropped82

Nut Case

• Member No: 9923
  • 2,160 Thanks
  • 1,649 posts

Posted August 10, 2017 - 07:36 AM

Oh and IIRC, the 224 wasn't made until 73.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

#11 Diesel79 OFFLINE  

Diesel79
  • 0 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted August 14, 2017 - 02:29 PM

Thanks for the responses.

There is a video online that shows this conversion on a Onan engine with horizonal rotation on a case tractor. I already have the shaft done. There are kits out there to do this and I contacted one of the suppliers. They want about $560.00 for the kit. I had the shaft machined for $75. If I can get a clutch for about $150 plus a switch Im looking at less than half. I'll keep diggin.

Search Case 224 electric clutch. The video was done in 2010. Diesel79

#12 Diesel79 OFFLINE  

Diesel79
  • 0 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted August 14, 2017 - 03:18 PM

I believe I got the rotation answer from Warner clutch. Engine is CCW rotation. Clutch field is mounted away from engine. Clutch rotation is CW. See attached.

Attached Files