8 replies to this topic

#1 cdennis OFFLINE  

cdennis

• Member No: 4291
  • 0 Thanks
  • 1 posts

Posted June 21, 2011 - 07:24 PM

John Deere 110 Sn: SNT 103104827/M

Just bought this older lawntractor. This is on my "bucket list" to complete a tractor restoration. Trying to find locations for information to start with. Ordered the "Tech. Manual" from a JD dealer, waiting 3 weeks so far. Found and older fella in town that agreed to mentor me. He did have a parts manual and has answered a lot of what is this type of questions. Ordered a new solenoid and voltage regulator from a JD dealer and they look nothing like the ones on it. Some one has messed with the wiring a little bit. Will the tech. manual answer these questions? I am not to mechanical being in the health care industry. Any help and/or suggestions would be appreciated. Thank You!

#2 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,719 Thanks
  • 4,279 posts

Posted June 21, 2011 - 07:50 PM

cdennis, let me be the first to welcome you to GTTalk! I had the same problem when I redid my 68-110 with the parts from Deere. They'll work but don't look original. There is a place supplying repro original style parts. I can't remember the name but I think they are either in the links or the sponsors. Maybe somebody else will chime in here.
  • cdennis said thank you

#3 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted June 21, 2011 - 10:03 PM

I too want to welcome you to GTTalk, and I hope you find the answers you are looking for as I am of little to no help in John Deeres.
  • cdennis said thank you

#4 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,271 Thanks
  • 28,607 posts

Posted June 22, 2011 - 05:55 AM

:welcome: cdennis.
Many times parts will be factory approved subs and not look like the original.
I am not a JD guy, but I think it had a kohler engine? If so, you are dealing with a points style ignition. While they can be a challenge, they are probably the easiest to work on.
As for the solenoid, there are many versions looks wise, but many will interchange. If you ordered it from the dealer, it should be the right style (electrically).

Glad you found us and a mentor too! Post pics when you can & good luck.
  • cdennis said thank you

#5 Tmo OFFLINE  

Tmo

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2023
  • 356 Thanks
  • 486 posts

Posted June 22, 2011 - 05:57 AM

John Deere 110 Sn: SNT 103104827/M

Just bought this older lawntractor. This is on my "bucket list" to complete a tractor restoration. Trying to find locations for information to start with. Ordered the "Tech. Manual" from a JD dealer, waiting 3 weeks so far. Found and older fella in town that agreed to mentor me. He did have a parts manual and has answered a lot of what is this type of questions. Ordered a new solenoid and voltage regulator from a JD dealer and they look nothing like the ones on it. Some one has messed with the wiring a little bit. Will the tech. manual answer these questions? I am not to mechanical being in the health care industry. Any help and/or suggestions would be appreciated. Thank You!

Maybe you're referring to Hapco: HAPCO

To the original poster, that serial number makes it a '68 110, which was the first year of the square fender design. Be sure you order parts and manuals for serial number 100,001-250,000 range. Serial numbers before 100,001 are round fender tractors and serial numbers after 250,000 look similar to your '68, but there are some slight differences, i.e. the frame is slightly different.

For direct and specific information, go to Weekend Freedom Machines - it's a site dedicated just to the older John Deeres. Good luck.
  • cdennis said thank you

#6 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,418 Thanks
  • 39,668 posts

Posted June 22, 2011 - 06:10 AM

:welcometogttalk: Glad to have you aboard. I'm sure you will get lots of help and info, just keep posting your questions. Good luck.
  • cdennis said thank you

#7 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted June 22, 2011 - 10:26 AM

Welcome to the forum and to JD ownership. When you get your technical manual that will give you all the basic info. you need to start a restoration. You should try to price your engine parts from a second source. Often they are much cheaper than at the JD dealer. For Kohler I have used OPEengines.com and had excellent service.
  • cdennis said thank you

#8 Tmo OFFLINE  

Tmo

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2023
  • 356 Thanks
  • 486 posts

Posted June 22, 2011 - 11:50 AM

A couple more tips for you. First, get to know your dealer. He's a valuable source for parts and information. Second, get to know JD Parts and it's capabilities. Here's a tutorial on using it: How To Use JD Parts Online Services - Manuals - Garden Tractor Talk - Forums It has all the diagrams you will need for your tractor, deck, and any other attachment you may have.

#9 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3761
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted July 10, 2011 - 10:20 PM

Welcome cdennis to GTtalk! I hope you'll enjoy this site as much as I do.

I believe you have a 1966 110. But I also believe you are not listing the serial numbers correctly, as some numbers seem to be missing. The SNT code number only applied to 1966 110's and 112's, as the newer models only used a letter T. As for replacement parts, factory voltage regulators and celenoids will work on you tractor even though they don't look alike. Just be sure not to over tighten the nuts that connect the starter/generator cable, and the positive battery cable, as the mounting studs can break out from the housing very easy.
A wiring harness is no longer available through Deere, but you can easily make you own. All wiring and connectors can be purchased at Lowe's. They have a variety of 14ga. and 16ga. wire color choices, and even though you can't get the original connectors anymore, I buy the colored connectors and improvise. Use your original harness for the lenghts required, and use black electrical tape to put it all together. If you'd like, drop me an email sometime, and I'll send you a picture of the harness's I make. keeblerelves@dejazzd.com I have spent many of hours reading all the manuals on these round fendered tractors, and when I get done, I start reading them again. I'd be more than willing to help you out anyway I can. I look forward to hearing from you, and possibly meeting you at a show sometime!