4 replies to this topic

#1 EthanM OFFLINE  

EthanM
  • GTt Junior
  • Member No: 87921
  • 0 Thanks
  • 1 posts

Posted August 08, 2017 - 09:25 PM

Not sure if this is where I am supposed to post because I am new to this forum, but I already need some help. I have recently come in contact with a 1975 Allis Chalmers 716H. I am rebuilding the tractor in it's entirety, but am having some trouble with the paint. I went to my local Tractor Supply, and saw the regular A.C. Orange equipment paint, but was not sure if that was the correct type. If anyone knows if that is close to the original, or if anyone could point me in the right direction, it would be much appreciated. Also if this is the wrong place to post, would someone inform me of it?

#2 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 6,640 Thanks
  • 4,799 posts

Posted August 08, 2017 - 10:39 PM

Welcome to the forum. Looks like you found a good place to put it. I never cared for the tractor supply brands myself but some swear by them.

#3 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 34,803 Thanks
  • 43,838 posts

Posted August 09, 2017 - 06:18 AM

:wave: Welcome to the forum! Are going to use a gun or the spray cans to put it on?  I've use some of the TSC Magic paint in cans for small stuff, have to use many light coats as it will run pretty easily and takes a while to dry. When I built Alice (highly modified 716-6 speed), I used Waukesha Orange. Look at this thread, post 203. And this thread is with it finished. On the larger pieces, a spray gun is a must use as far as I am concerned.

#4 Trav1s ONLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,968 Thanks
  • 4,131 posts

Posted August 09, 2017 - 06:58 AM

I have been using Valspar paint in cans from Amazon and the results are great with good prep.  Here is the Allis orange

https://www.amazon.c...1_t1_B000LNU66O

#5 Talntedmrgreen ONLINE  

Talntedmrgreen

Simplicity Enthusiast

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8186
  • 3,207 Thanks
  • 2,282 posts

Posted August 09, 2017 - 07:46 AM

Duplicolor has been a popular spray can choice for guys repainting these with rattle cans.  Duplicolor DE1620 is the closest found match to Allis Powder orange, which is the factory paint.  You can still buy Powder Orange from a Simplicity dealer for about $15 per can.  It is part ##1685589.

AGCO dealers still offer Allis Corporate Orange, which is also a very close match and a color you would be very happy with.  

Corporate Orange ACGO p/n's:

79014656 Aerosol

79014782 Qt.

79014781 Gal.