jdcrawler

tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1639
  • 3,173 Thanks
  • 1,724 posts

Posted June 21, 2011 - 06:08 PM

I'm going to start the metal work with filling in this lower area on the front wall.

Posted Image

I framed it in with 2x2 uprights to give it the support it needs.
There isn't a section of metal that was taken off the sides that is big enough to cover this panel.
I want to have one piece of metal up here so there isn't a seam down the center, so I used a a piece that is cut from the roof metal.
I know it doesn't look as nice as the white metal but it is going to be behind the wire grille on the front of the trailer so it won't be that noticeable.
If anything, it sort of looks like a mud and stone guard to protect the camper from anything thrown up from the road.

Posted Image

I removed the window from this front wall and I'm making up this panel to cover over the hole.

Posted Image

The cover panel is mounted in place.

Posted Image

A 2x2 is clamped down on the top of the roof and the roof metal is nailed to the sides.

Posted Image

Then a 2x4 is temporarily fastened to the side so I can set the piece of side wall metal on it.

Posted Image

The piece of side wall metal is set in place and clamped in two places on the top edge.
I then traced a line on the back side for where it needed to be trimmed.

Posted Image

The side wall panel is all trimmed out.

Posted Image

And fastened up on the side of the camper.

Posted Image

I went inside and drilled a hole at each corner of the window opening.

Posted Image

A line is drawn between these holes and the metal for the window opening is cut out.

Posted Image

The other side of the camper gets the same treatment.

Posted Image

The lower side wall panel is cut and fastened onto this side.

Posted Image

And the same is done on the other side.

Posted Image

#2 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted June 21, 2011 - 06:20 PM

Ok, It looks like new siding you used so I am confused, how did you not have a big enough piece for the lower front section?
Then, wasn't the roofing originally overlapping the sides? How will you keep the weather out from behind the sides, Lots of sealer?
Other than this I have to say it looks great.
  • jdcrawler said thank you

#3 jdcrawler OFFLINE  

jdcrawler

tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,173 Thanks
  • 1,724 posts

Posted June 21, 2011 - 09:03 PM

Good observations, Casey

There wasn't a section of sidewall large enough because of the window layout, furnace vent, electrical and water fittings in the old camper sides.
The original roof did overlap the side walls.
It then just had flat trim piece running along the top edge to seal the overlapped roof metal to the sidewall.

I didn't re-use that same sealer system because there are some cracks in the roof metal along the edge where it is bent over the sides.
I'm going to use an angled style of trim that will cover the top edge of the roof and wrap over the corner and down onto the sidewall.

On installing the trim moldings, I'm planning on sealing around the edge of the sidewall with the marine calking first.
After that drys, then I'll put on the trim moldings with the butyl tape sealer that came with the trim.

Edited by jdcrawler, June 21, 2011 - 09:08 PM.

#4 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted June 21, 2011 - 09:35 PM

Good observations, Casey

There wasn't a section of sidewall large enough because of the window layout, furnace vent, electrical and water fittings in the old camper sides.
The original roof did overlap the side walls.
It then just had flat trim piece running along the top edge to seal the overlapped roof metal to the sidewall.

I didn't re-use that same sealer system because there are some cracks in the roof metal along the edge where it is bent over the sides.
I'm going to use an angled style of trim that will cover the top edge of the roof and wrap over the corner and down onto the sidewall.

On installing the trim moldings, I'm planning on sealing around the edge of the sidewall with the marine calking first.
After that drys, then I'll put on the trim moldings with the butyl tape sealer that came with the trim.

Ok, that answers my concerns. I was just hoping you had thought of the little stuff, and based on your answers, you had. You always seem to be right on top of small details required in the success of your projects. Great work Ray.

#5 jdcrawler OFFLINE  

jdcrawler

tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,173 Thanks
  • 1,724 posts

Posted June 22, 2011 - 07:36 AM

Casey
The framing in this area on the right side was all rotted away because of the cracks on the roof edge so it didn't take me long to realize that I was going to have to do something about that.

Posted Image
  • wvbuzzmaster said thank you

#6 tractormike OFFLINE  

tractormike

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 119
  • 162 Thanks
  • 1,488 posts

Posted June 22, 2011 - 08:10 AM

Your projects always amaze me Ray! Thanks for taking the time to take pictures and share them with us. Nice work as always.