6 replies to this topic

#1 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 8,832 Thanks
  • 6,063 posts

Posted August 08, 2017 - 11:59 AM

Made the deal last week but today was the first I could get away to retrieve it.  Tractor looks rough, rear end cracked, both rear wheels bent, wrong hood which is junk.  Deck needs new gauge wheels but is solid.  Thrower needs work on the one corner where the gauge shoe attaches.  Blade is good.  The soft cab is in the back of my truck and needs new windows and minor repair like stitching, clean up.  Also got the wheel weights and tire chains.  I have a good rear end to put in as well as wheels.  Got the complete original engine too.  Plan is to overhaul it and put it back in the tractor, replace the hood along with other minor repairs.  Get the deck cleaned up and ready and put the blade along with it as a flip package.  Thrower I may sell separately or include it, depends on the buyer. 

Find-1.JPG     Find-2.JPG

Find-3.JPG    Find-4.JPG

• Bolens 1000, hamman, KennyP and 5 others have said thanks

#2 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,962 Thanks
  • 2,601 posts

Posted August 08, 2017 - 12:13 PM

Sounds like a good parts machine
  • chieffan said thank you

#3 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 8,832 Thanks
  • 6,063 posts

Posted August 08, 2017 - 06:06 PM

Don't know for sure yet.  Real cobbled engine switch.  Will see how the frame, front end, pto, etc. look.  I have a good Hi-Lo rear end to slide in.  See what it will cost to do a quick overhaul on the engine, or drop a running HH160 in.  At the least will have a parts tractor for sure. 
Can get my $$ back out of the attachments, deck, thrower and blade.  Might salvage a couple gears out of the transmission I hope.  The engine starts and runs good so that is worth a little.

Edited by chieffan, August 08, 2017 - 06:06 PM.

• KennyP and logmillingman have said thanks

#4 bonusbuilt1950 OFFLINE  

bonusbuilt1950
  • Member No: 82972
  • 427 Thanks
  • 200 posts

Posted August 08, 2017 - 06:56 PM

Definitely has had a hard life!

• chieffan and logmillingman have said thanks

#5 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,962 Thanks
  • 2,601 posts

Posted August 09, 2017 - 06:06 AM

Sure glad that they still have the original engine, hopefully there is a chance it can be gotten going...or SOME made in USA engine that would work on that tractor. for me that blue engine is a major turn off.... that would come off right away and be sold off for whatever I could get for it.

Which, being so sick n tired of seeing people brag about how cheap they can be bought new, I know that would not be much!

• Bolens 1000, chieffan and logmillingman have said thanks

#6 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 8,832 Thanks
  • 6,063 posts

Posted August 09, 2017 - 07:24 AM

Sure glad that they still have the original engine, hopefully there is a chance it can be gotten going...or SOME made in USA engine that would work on that tractor. for me that blue engine is a major turn off.... that would come off right away and be sold off for whatever I could get for it.

Which, being so sick n tired of seeing people brag about how cheap they can be bought new, I know that would not be much!

The PO was quite the cobbler on that engine swap for sure.  As for the rear end, it got hit by a car on the left rear wheel.  Shoved into a retaining wall where it broke the RR axle housing and messed up the hood.  Hood wasn't put on right from the start.  Tower was extended up with two flat irons.  Battery is way oversize.  Just kind of a mess but I have lots of parts.  Those HF engines are an inexpensive engine all right.  Biggest thing I have found with them is when worked hard they lack the hang power.  I probably wouldn't buy one but there is a lot of them out there and in GT's also.   First thing is going to be the rear end exchange and remove the hood.  Will see more of what I have at that point.  Hard to roll with that rear end messed up like it is.

• KennyP, MailmAn, logmillingman and 1 other said thanks

#7 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 8,832 Thanks
  • 6,063 posts

Posted August 10, 2017 - 06:46 PM

Got the 1256 off the work table today so rolled the 1055 in the shop.  Removed the hood to get it out of the way.  Then started on the rear end removal.  Both rear tires are good but the wheels are bent bad.  Got the old transaxle out and out the door.  Looked in the top of the transaxle and saw daylight.SAM_0359.JPG

Cleaned up the tubes and got the replacement ready for the install.SAM_0360.JPG

SAM_0361.JPG    SAM_0362.JPG  

It should make a good working tractor with the 6 speed transaxle in it.   Will help the engine out a bunch.  Tomorrow morning will slide the replacement under the tube and hook things up.  Throw a couple extra wheel on it a be ready for a test run.  Then can work on some needed modifications on the front end like throttle and choke hook up, etc.

• KennyP, MailmAn and logmillingman have said thanks