• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 rcknrolfender79 OFFLINE  

rcknrolfender79
  • Member No: 87870
  • 1 Thanks
  • 10 posts

Posted August 07, 2017 - 03:58 PM

Hi, I have a case 448. It needs a new starter according the kid I got it from. I have one ordered and should be here in the next day or two. After inspecting the battery, solenoid, and all the connections, I decided to do some work and relace some stuff. I bought a new solenoid old one was badly corroded and rusted, I bought a new battery, old one was old as nails and dead, and took a wire brush to all the terminals and anything that could be reused and just needed cleaned.

Solinoid, ignition switch, and battery are all now working great. The solinoid and clicking hard and loud when the key is turned. I was hoping I cluld turn the key and take a hammer to the starter to at least confirm that this is the problem. However, I cant get the starter to budge in the slightest. I know its getting power to it, as the hot wire on the startee heats up when I hold the key in the start position.

Due to not being able to get it to do anything I am a little concerned the engine could possibly be seized. I would like to check make sure its not before seized before going the trouble of replacing the starter and ruining a chance of being able to return it if I dont need it. How do you turn the engine over by hand hand on these? Due to the hydraulic drive and the clutch pulley/fan at the front, I dont know where to get ahold of it to turn it over.

And (in a nut shell) what are the steps to replacing the starter? Is there a way to do it without removing the heat shield/shroud the goes all the way across the front? In order to remove that it looks like I'm going to have to remove everything off the front of the tractor as well as the exhaust and multiple pieces from the top. Is there an easier way around this outside of cutting a hole in it? Seems like a ton of work for something that looks like it should be very easy to access.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320AZ using Tapatalk

#2 rcknrolfender79 OFFLINE  

rcknrolfender79
  • 1 Thanks
  • 10 posts

Posted August 07, 2017 - 04:05 PM

Well, I dont know how to edit the post.. but I realized if the problem were the engine being siezed and not the starter, I'd here/feel the starter kicking out. Durp lol brain fart there. Still need to know about replacing the starter.

#3 gopher OFFLINE  

gopher
  • Member No: 2755
  • 711 Thanks
  • 731 posts

Posted August 07, 2017 - 04:41 PM

Need more info. on engine type model?

#4 gopher OFFLINE  

gopher
  • 711 Thanks
  • 731 posts

Posted August 07, 2017 - 05:05 PM

To turn it over engage the clutch should be able to grab pto pulley and turn over. One time on one of my older tractor I picked up thought had bad starter. As yours would not engage chipmunk or other varmint had housing full of nut shells. PO must have tried starting jamming gear int o shells and flywheel locking it in place. If Onan in general remove side shield and loosen up front shroud to gain access to bolts.       

• boyscout862 said thank you

#5 rcknrolfender79 OFFLINE  

rcknrolfender79
  • 1 Thanks
  • 10 posts

Posted August 07, 2017 - 05:49 PM

To turn it over engage the clutch should be able to grab pto pulley and turn over. One time on one of my older tractor I picked up thought had bad starter. As yours would not engage chipmunk or other varmint had housing full of nut shells. PO must have tried starting jamming gear int o shells and flywheel locking it in place. If Onan in general remove side shield and loosen up front shroud to gain access to bolts.

Hi, its an Onan B48M-GA018. O took the side shield off, as seen in the pic... but the starter bolts are still blocked by the front shield/shroud that goes all the way across the front, which can also be seen in the pic.1e6e949b97e68fbb3b90d9ad12823ef9.jpg

#6 Oldford OFFLINE  

Oldford
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 50409
  • 1,103 Thanks
  • 775 posts

Posted August 07, 2017 - 05:49 PM

did you try removing the plugs to see if it would turn over easier?  then touch a cable off the battery + to the hot post on the starter to see if that will bump it.

• gopher said thank you

#7 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 11,436 Thanks
  • 8,469 posts

Posted August 07, 2017 - 06:18 PM

It is possible that the bendix drive is jammed into the flywheel gear. It needs to be pulled back into its normal starting position. At this point you need to go into our Manuals Section and download the manuals for this tractor. Read the troubleshooting section for the engine and follow it. I suspect that you will have to pull the starter. Be sure to disconnect the battery cables from the battery. Always remove the negative terminal cable first and replace it last. The flywheel could then be pried to turn the engine. I hope that it isn't seized. Continue to post pics as you ask more questions. We are all in this together. Good Luck, Rick
  • gopher said thank you

#8 gopher OFFLINE  

gopher
  • 711 Thanks
  • 731 posts

Posted August 07, 2017 - 07:48 PM

Sorry took so long get back with you . Working on my 3016 holding valve. As stated you remove thinking two bolts on bottom of front shroud one on top. you should be able to flex bottom of shroud to see what to do.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#9 rcknrolfender79 OFFLINE  

rcknrolfender79
  • 1 Thanks
  • 10 posts

Posted August 07, 2017 - 11:09 PM

Sorry took so long get back with you . Working on my 3016 holding valve. As stated you remove thinking two bolts on bottom of front shroud one on top. you should be able to flex bottom of shroud to see what to do.

Thanks, I'll check it out tomorriw and let you guys know what I find.

#10 rcknrolfender79 OFFLINE  

rcknrolfender79
  • 1 Thanks
  • 10 posts

Posted August 11, 2017 - 01:07 AM

Had a busy week, but finally got some time to tear into it today. After looking it over, I could find no way to remove that front shroud without dismanteling the entire front of the tractor. Removing any bolts from the shroud near the starter was a fruitless effort as it refused to bend more than a 1/2 inch revealing absolutely nothing. Well, being a welder I decided if Onan wants to design something stupid, I'm gonna work on it stupid lol. I got my grinder and a cutting wheel and cut a large section of the shroud out... I was going to weld it back, knock it down with a flap disk, spray some black paint on it.. it will look fine and nearly undetectable by time its done.. However Onan's stupidity did not stop here, unfortunately. I quickly discovered the starter bolts are neatly tucked way between the flywheel and engine. And at just the perfect angle that a wrech wont work. Even a jointed wrench wouldnt work as there is not enough room between the starter and oil filter mount to be able to turn the wrench. At thid point I realized the hard retarded way was the only way.

So, after removing the hood, radiator, exhaust, dropping the front of the mower deck to remove the belt, removing the fan and clutch(which consisted of about 20 different pieces alone), pulley, every shroud on top of the engine as they were bolted to the front shroud, carb linkage, front shroud, and flywheel(which I had to rent a harmonic balancer puller to remove).... I was finally able to remove the friggin starter!!! Wgich was siezed btw. Got the new one installed which turns the engine with ease... this was just at dark. Had to clean up and get in the house before mosquitos ate me alive. So I still havent got to hear it run.. and its still in pieces. Took all day to dismantle the thing to get to a part that any idiot knows needs to replaced every once in a while. The fun of putting it back together begins tomorrow.

I cannot express my disgust enough for the idiots that designed this thing. It is such an obvious design flaw and such an easy thing to have fixed on the design table. I'll never buy anything with an Onan again. And I realize this is probably some BS to inspire the customer to go back to the dealer rather than working on it themselves(although mid 80's seems a little early for that crap), but this is just ridiculous.

Anyways, I'll try to remember to get some pics tomorrow to give you guys a rough idea of what's going on.

• KennyP said thank you