Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Looking at a MF16, is the price reasonable?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Trent R OFFLINE  

Trent R
  • Member No: 87365
  • 5 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted August 07, 2017 - 12:33 PM

Hi All

I have read most of the Massey threads before I posted this question, I'm looking at a MF16 (#1944202958), according to TractorData this would be from 1976. So here are my questions;

1) Given the rarity of these, the person is asking $650 CAD (about $820USD), "Selling a Massey Ferguson 16 tractor. 16hp Kohler engine. Not running. Comes with mower, snowblower, and rototiller." (picture below).  Is this a decent asking price? I will be taking a look at it later today to make sure everything is there and will post more pic's when I get back. 

2) If I purchase the MF16 how easy is it to find parts, excluding the engine, on a scale of 1 - 10 (1=impossible, 10=very easy at a MF dealer)?  For the un-repairable parts I would like to keep them as close to original as possible.

Thanks

Trent

$_27.JPG

#2 pianotuner OFFLINE  

pianotuner

• Member No: 7799
  • 58 Thanks
  • 94 posts

Posted August 07, 2017 - 01:32 PM

Either the snowblower or the tiller is almost worth the asking price!!@!!!!!

The tiller has a long pan that goes underneath the tractor that is a must to keep the belt on.  That can be fabbed if missing.

anything can be fabbed.....almost....?  I had new shafts for the mower deck made by some friends. 

BUY IT! It's still a buy if you have to rebuild the engine.

• propane1 said thank you

#3 stiemmy OFFLINE  

stiemmy
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53712
  • 2,537 Thanks
  • 1,830 posts

Posted August 07, 2017 - 01:56 PM

There were a couple running units on the classifieds section on the forums here a while back for about the same price. Other then that, don't know anything about them. Good luck on your search.

#4 ckjakline OFFLINE  

ckjakline

Tractorholic

• Member No: 6073
  • 1,133 Thanks
  • 1,127 posts

Posted August 07, 2017 - 02:07 PM

If all the attachments come with it it's definitely worth it.

#5 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 8,203 Thanks
  • 3,955 posts

Posted August 07, 2017 - 03:00 PM

What are you waiting for. It will be gone if you think about it much longer. I have a 76 MF 14. Great tractor.

Noel

#6 Trent R OFFLINE  

Trent R
  • 5 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted August 07, 2017 - 10:15 PM

Thanks for the replies and welcomes (Intro section)

I made the trip to go look on a nice rainy day.

@pianotuner, yes the pan is there and the engine was not even a consideration, Kohlers are easy to repair/rebuild.

The tractor came from a farm estate auction so no known history on it.  The drive shaft had been disconnected from the engine and what I think should be the brake drum is missing (band is still there).  My concern is if the drive system is seized, or the pump is shot, hard difficult will it be to repair?

@propane1, did you have difficulty in finding parts in PEI or Canda?

Trent

#7 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 8,203 Thanks
  • 3,955 posts

Posted August 08, 2017 - 09:48 AM

Trent, I have really never had any trouble with the tractor, just did an engine rebuild a couple of years ago. Kohler parts are available, like you say. Rear end/ transmission parts maybe hard to get, I don't know thou. MF 14's have the same rear end , I think, and 14's are more available, so maybe look for a parts 14 tractor if needed. Check with MF dealer, for parts too. Buddie of mine has a 1973 mf 14. His works good.
Hope it works out for you,

Noel

#8 James Bosma ONLINE  

James Bosma
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 76126
  • 900 Thanks
  • 486 posts

Posted August 08, 2017 - 05:42 PM

MF 14 and MF 16 are same except engine mounts and exhaust, On the 16 the exhaust does not go thru the grill like the 14

All other parts are the same, they also use the same attachments

Other makes used the same Sunstrand hydro set-up, 

I have 2 MF 14 at the moment and enjoy them

I have a MF 14 and MF 16 coming,  Just have to go pick them up, no engines in them

That's how you get parts for these

• DH1 and propane1 have said thanks

#9 Trent R OFFLINE  

Trent R
  • 5 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted August 08, 2017 - 09:03 PM

@ James & Propane1, thanks guys for the tips.  Looks like MF parts are found the same as CASE

• propane1 and James Bosma have said thanks

#10 esbbent ONLINE  

esbbent

• Member No: 1183
  • 393 Thanks
  • 230 posts

Posted August 08, 2017 - 09:40 PM

The brake drum is the same brake drum that a model 10 or a gear model 12 uses. I needed one for the MF14 I am doing and it was easier to find one off of a 10 than one off a 14.

• propane1 and James Bosma have said thanks

#11 MMartineau44 OFFLINE  

MMartineau44
  • Member No: 73593
  • 49 Thanks
  • 30 posts

Posted August 31, 2017 - 01:10 PM

I have the same setup as you and paid $400 CAD for the whole kit. Engine was in a box so I had to put it back together but it ended up working. It is a nice tractor. MF dealer can still get some parts but most of them are discontinued. Good luck! 

• propane1 said thank you

#12 Chippy OFFLINE  

Chippy

• Member No: 1462
  • 1 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted September 03, 2017 - 08:44 AM

If you haven't bought this package, go get it.  Worth the $ in attachments.  These are very sturdy and strong runners.  I have two 14's and a 16.  All parts can be swap between the 14's and 16's other than the engine mounts and exhaust like mentioned in a previous post.  Has strong front axle.  Plan on building a front end loader for one of the 14's. 

These machines are simple and easy to work on.

Good luck.

#13 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 39,643 Thanks
  • 30,965 posts

Posted September 03, 2017 - 10:01 AM

Agreed a great price!  And it is for sure a 1976 model just going by the extended foot rests.

• James Bosma said thank you

#14 oldjeeper OFFLINE  

oldjeeper
  • Member No: 88778
  • 19 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted November 02, 2017 - 06:50 PM

I paid a lot of money for my 16...But it had the same owner for 25 years.The engine was rebuilt with a complete long block about 10 years ago.( the owners daughter was helping by washing the unit with a hose while it was still hot)  The blower had a rebuild last year.So I feel that this is a good deal even at the big price.I have always thought that these must be the toughest garden tractor on the ground today..Don.