• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 jeepattack89 OFFLINE  

jeepattack89

• Member No: 2389
  • 0 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted June 21, 2011 - 11:54 AM

I have a 1983 john deere 214. It was missing really bad so I put a new condenser on it and new points. I set the points at 20,000 and tried moving them back and forth but 20,000 seemed to be the best. I have a new hc10 sparke plug and new coil wire. I rebulit the carb and adjusted it the best I could. It runs much better now but at low idol or full throttle you will still here is go du du du du and it will puff light blue smoke.This only last for about 1-3 seconds. As soon as it stops du du or missing I guess you would say it clears up and runs fine but it will always do this as long as it runs. I cleaned up all the grounds as well. anybody have any ideas? I have not changed the coil yet.

#2 EricFromPa OFFLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,304 Thanks
  • 2,336 posts

Posted June 21, 2011 - 03:32 PM

Is your choke flapper in the Carb opening the whole way?Sounds like it's loading up.
Could be a weak coil or cold Plug or a loose wire between the Switch and the coil.
I always start with Wires when troubleshooting stuff like this.70% of the time it's wire related.

#3 jeepattack89 OFFLINE  

jeepattack89

• 0 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted June 21, 2011 - 07:25 PM

I looked at the choke and tried it while the tractor is running, its opening and shutting fine. I have gone over must of the wires and have cleaned up all grounds. I do have the seat safty wires bypassed. I have a brand new hc10 spark plug in it. I pulled the plug and put it in the cap and held the plug against a ground and the spark is not blue. It looks kind of small and its yellowish to orange. Do you think its the coil getting weak? I always heard that if its the coil it would die out after it got hot. I just had to spend more money and it still not be running normal. I do think it must be the coil now though. I am baffled. :confuse:

#4 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted June 22, 2011 - 05:22 AM

Welcome to the forum! I think you are on the right track. Check your grounds. People often forget to do this and it is just as important to current flow as the + connections. Another source of problems could be the spark plug connection itself. I have had to replace mine. The vibration of the engine loosens the hold on the plug over time. If you still haven't got a good snappy spark then replace the coil. Good luck with it.
  • KennyP said thank you

#5 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,518 Thanks
  • 39,735 posts

Posted June 22, 2011 - 05:43 AM

Good suggestions, could be the plug wire itself. Have had them breakdown over time.

#6 russharry OFFLINE  

russharry

• Member No: 4303
  • 0 Thanks
  • 1 posts

Posted June 22, 2011 - 08:45 AM

try to ajust values hope it works

#7 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted June 22, 2011 - 09:52 AM

try to ajust values hope it works

I wouldn't touch the valves until the existing spark problem is fixed. Once the spark is good and it still isn't running well then I'd look elsewhere for the problem.

#8 jeepattack89 OFFLINE  

jeepattack89

• 0 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted June 22, 2011 - 07:34 PM

Man to top it all off I just broke my variator lever. I adjusted it by procedure and put the lever in the first hole after and the tractor would not move so I went to put it in the next hole and the variator lever was stuck. I tried everything to try and get it unstuck and nothing worked. So like a frustrated dummy I tried to force the lever out(I did have the button pressed) and I broke the back metal off the lever spring hanging out and everything. Darn that sucks. I managed to get the spring and hitch back in and the lever will work but I don't know for how long. I tried every hole and it goes the same speed unless you go down hill it will speed up. Turn around and go back up the hill and its a snails pace. So I did it all over again and its the same. So I adjusted the variator again but this time put it back where it was. Tractor works but variator still not right. I keep it in the second hole and leave it there since it does not slip there. Think its the belt? Is it too stretched? Engine runs good now except it still will spudder lightly with light smoke. I will try a coil later on. Think I have to get a new variator lever and new drive belt now. Why did I have to force it, :-(

#9 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,330 Thanks
  • 28,640 posts

Posted June 22, 2011 - 09:19 PM

Do the JD's use the same shim system in the rear pullies as the MF's? If so, try taking out a shim or 2 and see if it helps on belt length. Your idler may be up as far as it can go (belt too long).