• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 8,114 Thanks
  • 3,922 posts

Posted August 05, 2017 - 08:46 PM

These two H tractors have orange painted engines. Why ? One is a restored one and the other not. Stories l have heard are, it was an airport tractor used to move planes and other stuff around, at war time and after war time. The other story is, red paint was hard to get in war time, so engines were painted orange.

Any thoughts or ideas.
Noel.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_1269.PNG
  • IMG_1268.PNG
  • IMG_1270.PNG
  • IMG_1271.PNG

#2 IHCubGuy OFFLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3438
  • 1,493 Thanks
  • 1,570 posts

Posted August 05, 2017 - 09:15 PM

My thoughts are they were used in some sort of industrial setting like for a municipality.  I can tell ya they didn't leave IH intentionally with a different colored engine unless the customer asked for it.  A LOT has happened to those 2 tractors and all the other H's IH made in the last 60 + years since the last one rolled off the assembly line.  They could have been repainted somewhere along the way because of a rebuilt engine or the engine could have been swapped out with a differenr one that was a different color.  A lot is possible in that time frame.

Also IH would paint a tractor ANY color you wanted it to be.  My bet though is on them being used in a municipal or industrial setting.

• Alc and propane1 have said thanks

#3 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 8,776 Thanks
  • 4,765 posts

Posted August 05, 2017 - 09:26 PM

One may not be restored but I bet the engine has been out for an overhaul job.  The engine has too good of a paintjob to be original paint.

Our local engine overhaul shop loves painting everything with a quick shot of "bare cast iron grey" rattlecan so it looks real good and clean when the customer picks it up.  He claims its to keep the metal from flash rusting after the hot tank bath eats all the factory paint away. 

Ya gotta figure the customer will paint the engine before installing anyhow.

Edit:

In fact the unrestored tractor has been completely repainted at some point and then the hood was repainted again separately. 

Edited by Gtractor, August 05, 2017 - 09:28 PM.

• Alc and propane1 have said thanks

#4 jimmy G ONLINE  

jimmy G
  • Member No: 78021
  • 1,087 Thanks
  • 712 posts

Posted August 05, 2017 - 11:53 PM

Yep, them tractors been worked on and painted and worked on and..., the bottom H could be a 45 with that mag, older rim's and electronic's and what appears to be a missing badge (all farmalls will run on that mag), war tractors for the most part had no electronic's,rubber or badges but an easing of restrictions in 45 let tractors revert to their modern form,S/N.s will tell the year, I believe the Farmall H has the highest production no. Of any tractor and is arguably the best field tractor for the buck ever built, they are also the smallblock chevy's in tractors when it comes to parts,and latter engine's fit older tractors in this line, a 56 300 engine would turn a 39 H into a screaming 3 bottom

Edited by jimmy G, August 06, 2017 - 12:41 AM.

• Gtractor, Alc, LilysDad and 1 other said thanks

#5 Rock farmer ONLINE  

Rock farmer
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10759
  • 1,193 Thanks
  • 1,229 posts

Posted August 06, 2017 - 04:27 AM

I believe those tractors were assembled most of the way,
Then painted, then assembled the rest of the way.
So, they would have been all red.
I suspect the local engine rebuild shop paints everything they do Chevrolet red/orange!

Joe
  • Gtractor, propane1 and Coventry Plumber have said thanks

#6 Coventry Plumber OFFLINE  

Coventry Plumber
  • Member No: 60643
  • 1,086 Thanks
  • 588 posts

Posted August 06, 2017 - 04:55 AM

I agree with Rock Farmer , I think the engine shop painted the engine the standard heat resistant Orange before the sent it back .
  • propane1 said thank you

#7 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 8,989 Thanks
  • 6,157 posts

Posted August 06, 2017 - 08:25 AM

If there is much paint at all left on one of these H tractors would be rare.  The vast majority spent their life outdoors and the elements took care of the paint.   I don't think either has been restored, painted a time or two probably but not restored.  Way to many indications of a quick paint job for a restoration, starting with the belt pulley.  Restored belt pulleys are not surface painted, most are sealed and varnished.  I know of no military equipment that was painted red so I doubt there would be a shortage of red paint during the war.  Good possibility of a paint shortage in general but not just red.

• propane1 said thank you

#8 IHCubGuy OFFLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3438
  • 1,493 Thanks
  • 1,570 posts

Posted August 06, 2017 - 04:28 PM

I believe the Farmall H has the highest production no. Of any tractor 

If you are referring to IH tractors then yes that's true.  Over 400,000 of them were built.  But ole Henry Ford holds the record.  They built over 750,000 N series tractors and over 500,000 Fordson model F and N's.

• jimmy G said thank you

#9 jimmy G ONLINE  

jimmy G
  • Member No: 78021
  • 1,087 Thanks
  • 712 posts

Posted August 07, 2017 - 12:21 AM

If you are referring to IH tractors then yes that's true.

I like your version better sooooo that's exactly what i meant and it only looks like i had a senior brain fart moment and forgot entirely about Henry what's his name and remembered only the H being big no.s, worse yet, I've been corrected on another post today by Doug and have to come up with even more lame excuses for my half right(on a good day) posting lol, on a bright note there'll be lots of smiles from people seeing my rump on fire
  • IHCubGuy and propane1 have said thanks