3 replies to this topic

#1 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 8,398 Thanks
  • 5,810 posts

Posted August 04, 2017 - 11:48 AM

Need to replace the control shaft seal in the Eaton 10.  Parts diagram don't help much as it just shows the order of parts.  Didn't find anything in the SM for this tractor either.  I have the bottom plate off and the nut on the control shaft.  The speed control arm or neutralizer arm do not want to move on the shaft.  Never done anything with this parts before and don't want to destroy something.  Anyone have these arms off that can shed some light on how to get them off?

I know the service manual for the hydro says to take the hydro all apart and drive the seal out from the inside.  It went in from the outside and it will come out from the outside.  Maybe not in very good condition but I bet it will come out.

• logmillingman said thank you

#2 29 Chev OFFLINE  

29 Chev

A Little Off Plumb

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 63590
  • 6,954 Thanks
  • 2,236 posts

Posted August 05, 2017 - 08:41 AM

Found this in the Medium Tube Frame Service Manual which may be of help.  It says to "remove the arm with approved tool ( standard puller)".  It also mentions to refer to Bolens Service Bulletion # 170 which I do not have a copy of - perhaps someone else does and could post a copy.  Judging by the pictures and bit of information I can find on the Eaton 10 it appears the arm is keyed and on a taper similar to the way a flywheel is mounted on a crankshaft - hope this helps. 

Attached Files

• chieffan and logmillingman have said thanks

#3 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 8,398 Thanks
  • 5,810 posts

Posted August 05, 2017 - 10:34 AM

Thanks much.  Guess I didn't look in the right place.  Will see if one of my pullers will work for that.  Mine may be a little to big.

Just what I thought.  Have about 8 pullers including 2 steering wheel pullers.  Jaws are to big to hook the control arm except one and it is to small, won't open wide enough.  Need a 2 jaw and most of mine are 3 jaw.  Will see what HF has Monday when I pick up a winch for the trailer.

Edited by chieffan, August 05, 2017 - 11:54 AM.

#4 29 Chev OFFLINE  

29 Chev

A Little Off Plumb

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 63590
  • 6,954 Thanks
  • 2,236 posts

Posted August 05, 2017 - 12:28 PM

If you had enough room you might be able to use a piece of 1/4" x 1-1/2" flat steel or angle iron with a slot or "V" cut in it so it would slide over the shaft behind the arm and use a harmonic balancer or steering wheel style puller and two bolts threaded through the flat bar - just a thought.