• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 yardiron OFFLINE  

yardiron

• Member No: 2796
  • 38 Thanks
  • 82 posts

Posted August 04, 2017 - 04:49 AM

Just picked this up the other day, never saw one before.

It appears to be the same color yellow as the 60's AC B series.

Its roughly 8 ft x 5.5 ft

There's a data plate on the right side but its never been stamped, all the info in missing.
The deck tilts and its pretty stout for a little trailer.

There are no tail lights and no brackets, I'm not sure what it had originally if it had anything at all?

There's one side marker on it, but its held on by two face tape and there's no wiring. There's ghost imprints from three others at the corners but they could have also just been refelectors.
I don't see any signs of it having tail light brackets anywhere and no signs of it ever having safety chains either.

Its got DOT wheels and tires, leaf springs, and a 1 7/8" ball coupler.

When I first saw it I wasn't sure if it was a road use type trailer or not due to the lack of lights but
I figured that since its got suspension and DOT tires it had to be. I pulled the bearing caps, made sure there was grease and hitched it up and towed it home, roughly 100 miles. 

It pulled fine, not a single issue and the bearings stayed cool the whole way.
I towed silent behind the car, no rattling, no bouncing, no swaying around, I had to keep stretching around to see if it was still there in the rear view mirror ever so often.

Attached Thumbnails

• 0803171648-00.jpg
  • 0803171745-02.jpg
  • 0803171744-01.jpg

• Alc, hamman, KennyP and 7 others have said thanks

#2 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 34,695 Thanks
  • 43,742 posts

Posted August 04, 2017 - 04:56 AM

Nice score on that!

• hamman and boyscout862 have said thanks

#3 kjmweld ONLINE  

kjmweld
  • Member No: 85357
  • 287 Thanks
  • 230 posts

Posted August 04, 2017 - 04:59 AM

Thats different, looks like possibly the wheels are replacements, they look to me to be a much newer style than what would have been used back in the day the trailer was made. Not that thats a bad thing tho. Cool little trailer, nice find.
  • hamman, boyscout862 and Sawdust have said thanks

#4 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 11,612 Thanks
  • 8,580 posts

Posted August 04, 2017 - 06:22 AM

I have the larger one that AC sold. Mine is made by SNOWCO. Here is the Brochure. I think that yours may be a SNOWCO too because I saw something about smaller "snowmobile trailers" one time. The SNOWCO trailers were sold by several brands of tractors and are very desireable for collectors. You have a treasure there. I hope that you will do the research and restore it. Good Luck, Rick

http://gardentractor...ailer-brochure/

Edited by boyscout862, August 04, 2017 - 06:23 AM.

• Alc, hamman, KennyP and 2 others have said thanks

#5 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 8,486 Thanks
  • 4,645 posts

Posted August 04, 2017 - 07:15 AM

As soon as I saw your pictures I thought of the Allis Chalmers Terra-Tiger and that must be its very own trailer.

I Googled it and BINGO!!!

That trailer is rare as hens teeth and a Terra-Tiger owner would give a premium if you wish to sell.

CONGRATS on the find!!!

Attached Thumbnails

• AC TT.jpg

Edited by Gtractor, August 04, 2017 - 07:15 AM.

• hamman, KennyP, boyscout862 and 5 others have said thanks

#6 lrhredjb OFFLINE  

lrhredjb

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3984
  • 512 Thanks
  • 445 posts

Posted August 04, 2017 - 08:00 AM

Looks like a handy piece of equipment you got there.

• hamman said thank you

#7 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 5,357 Thanks
  • 3,258 posts

Posted August 04, 2017 - 09:32 AM

Nice find depending what your personal interest is on it you might want to leave as is. Contact a collector & go from there. It would be a nice project if you restored it.
  • hamman and boyscout862 have said thanks

#8 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 8,486 Thanks
  • 4,645 posts

Posted August 04, 2017 - 10:22 AM

Figured I'd toss out a pic of the Terra Tiger itself as many won't know what it was.

Also found a couple pages from the manual about the trailer so....  bonus!!!

Attached Thumbnails

• AC TT 3.jpg
  • AC TT 4.jpg
  • AC TT 2.jpg
  • AC TT 5.jpg

Edited by Gtractor, August 04, 2017 - 10:25 AM.

• KennyP, boyscout862, Sawdust and 1 other said thanks

#9 yardiron OFFLINE  

yardiron

• 38 Thanks
  • 82 posts

Posted August 04, 2017 - 02:44 PM

I'd sell it for the right offer I guess, but it looks like it'll really come in handy hauling my Simplicity with the 60" deck around. The fenders are below the ramps on this trailer so they won't interfere with the mower deck.

The only thing that would be better would be a trailer long and wide enough to load both of my Simplicity tractors at one time.

• boyscout862 and Mark 149 J. have said thanks

#10 yardiron OFFLINE  

yardiron

• 38 Thanks
  • 82 posts

Posted August 06, 2017 - 11:44 AM

I used the trailer today to pickup a freebie AC 916, I can see I'll have to add a winch of some sort to it, if the tractor didn't run, I'd have had a tough time getting it up the ramp against the hydrostatic trans.

For now I used a pair of clip on tail lights I have for my boat. Backing it up is a challenge when its empty since it can't be seen in the mirror behind my truck. I can catch a glimpse of the fenders when I'm turning but that's all.

• KennyP and Mark 149 J. have said thanks

#11 Talntedmrgreen OFFLINE  

Talntedmrgreen

Simplicity Enthusiast

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8186
  • 3,203 Thanks
  • 2,279 posts

Posted August 07, 2017 - 01:50 PM

incredibly lucky find!

#12 yardiron OFFLINE  

yardiron

• 38 Thanks
  • 82 posts

Posted August 08, 2017 - 02:47 AM

I don't think I've ever seen a Terra Tiger in person, were they similar to an Argo?

Does anyone own a Terra Tiger?

If I keep this trailer I have to modify it so I can put a winch on it.

The guy that had it died some time ago, they were finally clearing out the barn where it sat.

If the AC decals weren't still on it I'd never have thought one way or the other what it was. When I first saw it in the corner under a bunch of old junk I thought maybe it was an old snow mobile trailer. (I bought a 3410S last fall that came on a similar trailer, it was the same yellow but some one painted it blue and black.

Its not as wide as the AC trailer but uses the same tongue and same style axle and springs).

Its been sitting outback waiting for me to get around to it, along with a few hundred other projects around here.

Sterling Sno Trailer.JPG   Sterling Sno Trailer (4).JPG

• KennyP said thank you

#13 junkpile OFFLINE  

junkpile
  • Member No: 27830
  • 7 Thanks
  • 22 posts

Posted August 09, 2017 - 02:55 AM

I had one of those trailers a few years back, it was badly rusted from years of PA road salt. I had a buddy take it to a tractor swap meet somewhere in PA and he got me $600 for it, I almost fell over when he handed me the cash.

It was towable but the deck was about gone and both spring shackles were almost completely rusted through.
Yours is in amazing shape compared to the one I had. I got mine with a Wheel Horse tractor, the guy had built a huge plywood box for it and was using it as a leaf catcher behind his tractor.

I didn't even notice the Allis Chalmers decals on mine till the wood box sat outside for a few years, the wood rotted away so bad it collapsed and fell off, then there was the decals plain as day.

Mine had been painted a few times but they had masked off around the decals. Until reading this, I always thought mine was just a trailer they sold for transporting lawn tractors on. Never even knew they made a 6 by like that.