• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 6,568 Thanks
  • 4,741 posts

Posted August 02, 2017 - 09:00 AM

We are now taking nominations for featured tractor of the month of September.

The theme for this month is open.

I also can't emphasize enough to please provide at least 2 paragraphs for the description of you tractor. The winner is going to be featured on the GTtalk home page and all the bragging rights that come with it.

Here are the rules:

• A tractor is not eligible to be nominated if it has won in the last year. However, the owner of the tractor may nominate a different tractor.
  • You must have at least a two paragraph description to tell us about your tractor.
  • You need 2 photos attached to your post as attachments, not linked from another site, the year make and model, and a brief description of your history with the tractor and what you use it for most.
  • You must be an active member of the site. (Basically you need to have at least 10 posts before you can nominate your tractor)
  • Each eligible member may nominate up to 2 tractors per month.

We will accept up to 15 nominations, this thread will be closed after the 15th nomination. Once 15 nominations are made we will start a new thread for the voting. Voting will run to the end of the current month and on the 1st of the following month the winner will be featured on the GTtalk Home Page and in our Featured Tractors section.

Rules subject to change to better work for everyone. Good luck!

#2 olds45512 ONLINE  

olds45512
  • Member No: 77943
  • 1,121 Thanks
  • 571 posts

Posted August 02, 2017 - 01:49 PM

I would like to nominate my 1988 Cub Cadet 1211. I acquired this tractor in early spring of 2016 from a member over on the Cub forum, he bought it at an auction to flip and I just had to have it. It was a 6hr ride each way to pick it up from New Jersey.

When I got the Cub home I did all the usual stuff, pulled the head and flatten it, pull valves and clean them, decarbon the Piston, and a bunch of other general maintenance items. I sandblasted and painted the wheels and installed all new tires, I also installed the 3 point hitch. I wanted dual hydraulics so I bought a two spool valve and now have ports in the front and rear of the tractor, the levers for the valves were custom made by me and the powder coated in chrome to match the hydro speed lever. These pics were taken at PA plow day 2016 and the last pic was from a few weeks ago of it hanging out in the sun with all it's friends, when it's not plowing at a show it is my weekly mower.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20160416_103635703.jpg
  • IMG_20160416_103641027.jpg
  • IMG_20160416_103651757_HDR.jpg
  • IMG_20170510_174658.jpg
  • IMG_4823.JPG

Edited by olds45512, August 02, 2017 - 01:50 PM.

• olcowhand, DougT, Alc and 12 others have said thanks

#3 larrybl ONLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 415
  • 6,375 Thanks
  • 4,082 posts

Posted August 02, 2017 - 08:35 PM

I would like to Nominate my Grandson's 1988 JD 165 Hydro. This was given to us by a Police Commander that knew that I would fix it up rather than trash it. Well it got the full restore treatment,

http://gardentractor...tle-john/page-1

He gave it to us to basically to keep from going to the recyclers. I excepted it because 1. It looked like a good candidate for my Grand Son to use (Hydro). And 2. I haven't had a John Dear yet. So I present..... Little John. I think my  likes it, The wiring was ka-put. Engine spins, and has oil, but the reservoir under the seat was dry.

We started on in May 2016, and Rode it to town Maiden Voyage in November.

Not bad, 8 Months 7 Days for this restore. I have to say the deck is way more difficult to install than the Craftsman's or Roper's decks. Finally got it on. He want's to ride it every time he visits on the weekends now!

If I can add a plug, Here is his first mowing that he did yesterday. He had a great time with the 1.5 acres (I cleared around the trees).

Attached Thumbnails

• P1180150.JPG
  • P1180156.JPG
  • P1180181.JPG
  • P1180186.JPG
  • P1150938.JPG
  • P1170988.JPG

Edited by larrybl, August 13, 2017 - 04:30 PM.

• olcowhand, DougT, Alc and 10 others have said thanks

#4 propane1 OFFLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 7,753 Thanks
  • 3,791 posts

Posted August 03, 2017 - 12:15 PM

Well, I'll enter my MF 14. It's a 1976 model. It is mainly used as a bulldozer for dirt and snow. It hauls out small stumps, I use the winch in the woods to help get wood for winter. It also has a deck for cutting grass, but that has not been used in a few years. It goes into parades and shows. It also pulls my manure spreader around some times for fun.

I got the tractor about 6 or 7 years ago from the second owner, who did the repair work on it for the first owner. I paid two hundred for it with the deck. It needed engine work, it ran, but smoked badly. So I fixed up the engine and been useing it on and off now, since the repairs. I installed the winch and bulldozer plow. I installed the rear flashing light, so people might, might see me and the end of my drive way while doing snow plowing. It's had it's troubles over the years, but most garden tractors do.

Thanks for lookin and readin,

Noel

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_1143.JPG
  • IMG_1145.JPG
  • IMG_9910.PNG
  • IMG_8041.JPG
  • IMG_4459.JPG
  • IMG_1206.PNG
  • IMG_1207.PNG
  • IMG_1208.PNG
  • IMG_1211.PNG
  • IMG_1212.PNG
  • IMG_1213.PNG
  • IMG_1209.PNG
  • IMG_1210.PNG
  • IMG_1214.PNG

Edited by propane1, August 03, 2017 - 12:20 PM.

• olcowhand, DougT, Alc and 10 others have said thanks

#5 BTS ONLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • Member No: 11851
  • 3,748 Thanks
  • 2,206 posts

Posted August 03, 2017 - 11:11 PM

This doesn't count does it???

Attached Thumbnails

• 20170503_193427.jpg

#6 DougT OFFLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,568 Thanks
  • 4,741 posts

Posted August 04, 2017 - 05:53 AM

Why wouldn't it??

• propane1 said thank you

#7 BTS ONLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • 3,748 Thanks
  • 2,206 posts

Posted August 04, 2017 - 07:49 AM

Why wouldn't it??

Really? I figured it would be called a compact tractor not a garden tractor. But it is the same size as my HT23 with only 15hp instead of 23hp.

• KennyP said thank you

#8 101 senior OFFLINE  

101 senior

• Member No: 1393
  • 215 Thanks
  • 352 posts

Posted August 04, 2017 - 03:37 PM

I would like to add mine to the list. It is a 1982 John Deere 400 Garden Tractor with a loader. I bought this from a local Massey dealer. It needed work which included a motor rebuild. I also sanded and painted it. It came w/ a 60" deck that was in very nice shape.( The Deck is currently for sale Guys). I then sold the John Deere to someone local. Last year I got a Bolens tractor and deck. The Man who bought the John Deere contacted me and said he needed the Bolens , I think for his camp. We traded the Bolens for the 400.

I got a loader, it was mounted on a Case and my Nephew Fabricated it to fit the 400. He is a really great welder. The loader works great and operates off the 400s internal hydraulics. While I have  little work for it, it comes in handy when I do need it. While I am a Massey Guy, I have to admit, this is a very nice tractor. It isn't show perfect, but it's mine.

Attached Thumbnails

• 002.JPG
  • 003.JPG
  • 001.JPG
  • 002.JPG
  • 001.JPG
  • 003.JPG

• olcowhand, Alc, blackjackjakexxix and 7 others have said thanks

#9 DougT OFFLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,568 Thanks
  • 4,741 posts

Posted August 04, 2017 - 03:55 PM

Really? I figured it would be called a compact tractor not a garden tractor. But it is the same size as my HT23 with only 15hp instead of 23hp.

My opinion of compact and sub compact is it is just a way to tell how heavy duty your garden tractor is. You never really heard those terms until we were invaded by the stamped riding mowers. The only time I ever knew that to make a difference was when CAT sold the Homelite and was just left with the Bolens Iseki. THEN the fact that he didn't have a garden tractor was a BIG deal!!   :rolling:   :wave:

Besides, It's an open month so almost any thing goes.   

• KennyP, BTS, TomLGT195 and 1 other said thanks

#10 Austen ONLINE  

Austen
  • Member No: 33768
  • 1,246 Thanks
  • 755 posts

Posted August 04, 2017 - 07:52 PM

I'll enter my 1977 Economy Powerking.

This tractor used to belong to the family next door who bought it new originally. I have fond memories as a little kid watching it in action during summers from across the chain link fence. In fact, as soon as I would hear the screech of the starter whirl from inside our house- (it's that loud) when they would fire it up in their garage I'd go running out to see it in action while they mowed. I used to think it was one of the neatest looking (and sounding) tractors as something like this is quite uncommon in our neck of the woods and I had never seen one like it. Fast forward to 2013 - a couple of decades later - I asked if I could buy it as they had not been using it for a few years and had also moved it outside where it was being stored under a tarp. To somewhat of a surprise, they let me buy it.

Since then, I have enjoyed using it, fixing it up where it needed it, and upgrading it as well to my style. I really didn't know much at all about these tractors but after researching them when I was considering buying it, I discovered this one didn't come with many options. I knew I still wanted one so I had briefly considered finding another one instead that was optioned better but that idea was quickly thrown under the rug as no other tractor would replace the emotional attachment to this particular one, which was more important to me. The manual lift had to go seeing my intended uses for it so I ended up tracking down a complete factory hydraulic lift setup from someone out of state. Most recently I purchased a secondary transmission setup for it as well which I'll be installing down the road when I restore it. Other things that some other things include changing the stance with custom made wheels spacers from Motorsport Tech, larger front and rear Carlisle tires, refinished/powdercoated rims, all new hydraulic hoses, taller 24" rear wheel model front king pins, battery box, weathered fasteners replaced with stainless where necessary, and a rear vintage style LED taillight.

bb4HUzfb.jpgjNNeMrWb.jpgaO2IfuEb.jpgM9L4jcmb.jpg

Y8x0SdRb.jpgBJf6CWHb.jpgrYMEjtUb.jpgt6HpsGbb.jpg

HK2n1u9b.jpgqYskefPb.jpg9xaETvSb.jpgfYhf7E2b.jpg

kj593Wgb.jpgjemzR97b.jpgDLtJT6ab.jpgmklRoO6b.jpg

Edited by Austen, August 05, 2017 - 05:23 PM.

• olcowhand, fonz3482, DougT and 12 others have said thanks

#11 Delmar OFFLINE  

Delmar
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5039
  • 2,568 Thanks
  • 2,574 posts

Posted August 04, 2017 - 10:13 PM

Nice tractor, Austen!

For some reason, when I click on your pics, They come up blue.  I was hoping to see a larger image than what is there.

• KennyP and Austen have said thanks

#12 BTS ONLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • 3,748 Thanks
  • 2,206 posts

Posted August 04, 2017 - 11:39 PM

I would like to nominate my Bolens Iseki G152, I bought this off of Craigslist, it was only 10 miles away which was shocking since I live out in the middle of nothing. This tractor was stolen from the guy I bought it from, it was missing for 6 months and it was finally found in a hedge row covered in tree limbs. The fuel tank was empty so their best guess is someone drove off on it, ran it out of fuel a mile or so down the road and then stashed it in some trees. The owner already replaced it with another tractor, he didn't need two tractors so he sold it (to me :dancingbanana:) I only paid $1200 which I thought was a pretty good buy. The old tractor runs great, it starts right up without even heating the glow plugs. I use it for a little bit for mowing but lately it is used in the garden with the cultivator. When I bought it it had turf tires but they were old and always going flat so I bought a new set of Rice and Cane tires for a little extra traction, I also fluid filled the rear tires with RV antifreeze for some extra weight. I believe I added a extra 100lbs per back wheel. I have a Kwik Way loader and a Brantly Backhoe that I am going to put on it. This is a really fun tractor to use and it has a lot of pulling power for only 15hp. The only thing it is lacking is nose weight, I had to put over a 100lbs on the nose to keep the front end down when using the mower.

The last picture is the night I bought it, the little Mazda hauled it great may it rest in peace :boo_hoo:

Attached Thumbnails

• 20170503_193414.jpg
  • 20170503_193427.jpg
  • 20170503_193456.jpg
  • 20170503_193507.jpg
  • 20170509_135639.jpg
  • 20170509_201730.jpg
  • IMG-20170509-WA0002.jpg
  • IMG-20161113-WA0001.jpg

Edited by BTS, August 04, 2017 - 11:43 PM.

• olcowhand, DougT, Alc and 9 others have said thanks

#13 Alberta Bolens OFFLINE  

Alberta Bolens
  • Member No: 49650
  • 521 Thanks
  • 292 posts

Posted August 06, 2017 - 01:14 PM

I'm entering my 2 Bolens 1050 in their wedding attire. I was married August 5th to my best friend. Kim made the Bride and Groom for the tractors. Which we had sitting by the hall. They got lots of attention. Kim n I knew each other 35 years ago went our seperate ways reconnected 6 years ago we are now together. The Bolens with the blade my brotherlaw gave me 20 years ago. The other one I bought partially restored few years ago I got it runing Kim painted it.
  • 101 senior, TomLGT195, HANKG and 1 other said thanks

#14 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 34,226 Thanks
  • 43,339 posts

Posted August 06, 2017 - 02:16 PM

I'm entering my 2 Bolens 1050 in their wedding attire. I was married August 5th to my best friend. Kim made the Bride and Groom for the tractors. Which we had sitting by the hall. They got lots of attention. Kim n I knew each other 35 years ago went our seperate ways reconnected 6 years ago we are now together. The Bolens with the blade my brotherlaw gave me 20 years ago. The other one I bought partially restored few years ago I got it runing Kim painted it.

We need some pics!

• Alberta Bolens and Mark 149 J. have said thanks

#15 101 senior OFFLINE  

101 senior

• Member No: 1393
  • 215 Thanks
  • 352 posts

Posted August 06, 2017 - 02:34 PM

pics

• Alberta Bolens said thank you