#1 wilberj OFFLINE  

wilberj
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 51
  • 4,837 Thanks
  • 5,511 posts

Posted July 31, 2017 - 05:28 PM

Last November Dad and Mom took a trip up to Cheboygan Mi to pick up some Ride a Matics. After they picked the tractor up they stopped at a local place to eat lunch. Well eating lunch my dad learned from someone that seen the tractors on the trailer that just down the road was a former Bolens dealer. Of course he had to go investigate only to find a closed store with a sign and a number stating call for appointment. He wrote down the info and headed home. He would later called the owner and learn he was a Bolens dealer for a number of years and still has stuff left. We made plans with him to come back on another weekend down the road next spring or summer to look around.

Fast forward to the week before the 4 of July and I have been invited by the girlfriend to camp at Burt lake with her family. I decided that sense I will be only 30 mins from the former Bolens dealer why not give him a call and see if I can swing by to see him Saturday morning. Well after a bunch of calls to both numbers I had from him I never got a response. The one phone number was disconnected from what I could tell. I decided my best bet was to drive to the dealership anyways and see what was going on. Maybe see if he had a new number on the door or the place was cleaned out and nothing was left.

So I took off Saturday 7-1-17 to Cheboygan with the plan to call him if there was a number on the door or ask around and see if anyone knew a way to get a hold of him. After the 3-hour drive I finally pulled up in front of Daves Power Equipment Inc. to find two new numbers to call. I called the one and got Dave’s one son on the phone that’s when I learned the very said news that his dad passed away in April at the age of 75. I gave him my condolences for his loss and the regret that I never got to meet his dad. We chatted for a little longer about what would become of his dads dealership and I learned from him the family had an offer from someone to buy everything and would be finding out later that week if that would be what happens. We decided to keep in touch and I would call him in a week to see the deal worked out and see weather I would be buying stuff from the family or the new owner. With that I took two photos of the dealership for this story and headed out to Burt Lake for two days. I planed to head out around noon on 7-3-17 for part two of this trip.

Part two coming soon!

Update: The stuff in the dealership has new owners and has been cleaned out. Most of the good stuff has already been picked over years before I found the place. I never got a chance at the place and sad part I will never get a chance to meet Dave. Better luck at the next old dealership I hope!

fgh1234112ljkljklhfklhjkhjk 014.jpg  fgh1234112ljkljklhfklhjkhjk 015.jpg  fgh1234112ljkljklhfklhjkhjk 016.jpg

Edited by wilberj, July 31, 2017 - 05:28 PM.

• Bolens 1000, boyscout862, oldedeeres and 5 others have said thanks

#2 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 14,612 Thanks
  • 17,951 posts

Posted July 31, 2017 - 05:44 PM

Always sad to see more and more of these places closing each year :(

• wilberj, boyscout862 and Oldford have said thanks

#3 jimmy G OFFLINE  

jimmy G
  • Member No: 78021
  • 1,017 Thanks
  • 678 posts

Posted August 01, 2017 - 01:22 AM

Maple bay is a nice campground, the raccoons will mug you though lol, you can get to a lot of water from that dock, about 5 miles from where you took the lake pic there are older Bolens and outher GT'S for sale(all old, some very) belong to a flywheeler i know, next time up if interested let me know
  • Bolens 1000, wilberj, boyscout862 and 1 other said thanks

#4 Oldford OFFLINE  

Oldford
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 50409
  • 1,134 Thanks
  • 786 posts

Posted August 01, 2017 - 04:26 AM

Great story and pics.  75 isn't that old these days, looks like it was a nice shop. 

• wilberj and boyscout862 have said thanks

#5 Husky OFFLINE  

Husky

• Contributor
  • Member No: 63
  • 1,181 Thanks
  • 1,055 posts

Posted August 01, 2017 - 06:36 AM

Great story and best of luck on the equipment I hope that you get a chance at some of it from either owner.

• wilberj and boyscout862 have said thanks

#6 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 11,835 Thanks
  • 8,675 posts

Posted August 01, 2017 - 08:39 AM

Thanks for shareing. I've had the same thing happen to me many times where I took too long to get there and the old guy died. Alittle over I year ago, I responded to an ad on CL for a Case. I bought the Case and got alot more from him. I was supposed to come back in two days to get alot more but, he asked me to wait until he called, in acouple more days. He had no family and disappeared.

I met and old Bolens Dealer who invited me to his shop 15 years ago. I was busy with work and took a couple of months to get there. He had sold all of his Bolens stuff(including manuals) a couple of weeks before. The only thing left was a NOS 54" plow for an HT23. He wanted more than I could spend. Later he sold me all of his Briggs, Clinton, Kohler, Tecumseh, and Wisconsin parts that were left. These were the obsolete parts that another dealer didn't want. He threw in a bunch of engine manuals and factory supplied tools. It all filled 40 moving boxes plus there was 10 sets of shelves. I picked up an HT23 but when I went to see him about the plow, he had died. His daughters had a tag sale and had sold the plow for $25. You win some and you lose some.

Keep trying. Good Luck, Rick
  • wilberj, Oldford and Paulgo have said thanks