Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Case 220 complete Hasn't moved in ten Years.

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 My3kidsfather OFFLINE  

My3kidsfather
  • Member No: 87536
  • 48 Thanks
  • 32 posts

Posted July 31, 2017 - 04:29 PM

Thinking of an offer of a case 220 with deck showing little rust, dirty stored in barn for ten years. dirty, having not been started for 10 years or so. What sort of problems would I expect to get it right?

#2 ssmewing OFFLINE  

ssmewing
  • Member No: 53022
  • 41 Thanks
  • 49 posts

Posted July 31, 2017 - 05:10 PM

Depends on your Case knowledge and you must assume that it died and was parked.

If you are starting from zero, expect a lot of problems.

Sent from my XT1097 using Tapatalk
  • boyscout862 and My3kidsfather have said thanks

#3 bryan 110 OFFLINE  

bryan 110
  • Member No: 52864
  • 220 Thanks
  • 286 posts

Posted July 31, 2017 - 05:15 PM

^^^ not really we bought a 220 that had been sitting for years not one problem new gas oil ans a lot of checking things greasing things good to go. You never know why something was parked in my case it was because the po bought new and had no reson to ditch the old life happened he passed and tractor got put on auction bought it and like I said checked it over and done runs like a charm

#4 MiCarl ONLINE  

MiCarl
  • Member No: 75926
  • 1,743 Thanks
  • 930 posts

Posted July 31, 2017 - 07:26 PM

^^^ not really we bought a 220 that had been sitting for years not one problem new gas oil ans a lot of checking things greasing things good to go. You never know why something was parked in my case it was because the po bought new and had no reson to ditch the old life happened he passed and tractor got put on auction bought it and like I said checked it over and done runs like a charm

I think you probably got lucky.  If it doesn't run you need to assume something was wrong with it when parked.  Might be small, might be major.

#5 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 11,832 Thanks
  • 8,675 posts

Posted July 31, 2017 - 08:26 PM

A year ago I bought a running Case 220 for $50. It is ugly and the wiring is SNAFU but it runs good. Only attachment was a sleeve hitch that is missing the linkage. Checkout the manual in our Manuals Section. Good Luck, Rick
  • Oldford and My3kidsfather have said thanks

#6 My3kidsfather OFFLINE  

My3kidsfather
  • 48 Thanks
  • 32 posts

Posted July 31, 2017 - 10:55 PM

He's asking too much, $550 as is. Still, it's a case.. and a 220 is a good one.

#7 Oldford OFFLINE  

Oldford
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 50409
  • 1,134 Thanks
  • 786 posts

Posted August 01, 2017 - 03:48 AM

Make sure it has hydro lift at that price.  550 is what they go for running near me, in season.  Out of season 100 less.  They are expensive where i live maybe not as high as canada tho.

Check for oil leaks everywhere since you won't see it running.  Check oil levels.  Ask him about oil changes even if he doesn't know, let him know there are no filters and clean oil is critical.

For that money i'd bring a battery and hook it up, make sure it turns over with spark and the headlights work.  look for mouse nests.  unhook the fuel line and drop the float bowl screw before cranking if you can.  check the parking brake.

You should factor in changing all the fluids.  also if it has gas in the tank.  carb clean.  mention all these things as you look it over, get it down to the lowest price before hooking up the battery.  even if it has spark it could take a lot of cleaning up on your part and he's asking top dollar.

also look at the tires if they sat in one place and got low on air might be shot

and check play at the axle beam can be fixed but the parts cost around 50 bucks

Edited by Oldford, August 01, 2017 - 03:52 AM.

#8 ssmewing OFFLINE  

ssmewing
  • Member No: 53022
  • 41 Thanks
  • 49 posts

Posted August 01, 2017 - 06:53 AM

He's asking too much, $550 as is. Still, it's a case.. and a 220 is a good one.

$200 is the max price and if it was me it would be $100 as my max. The 220 is the very lowest desired. The guy who has it will have trees growing and his money part ways. it before he sells it unless a fool

Sent from my XT1097 using Tapatalk
  • My3kidsfather said thank you

#9 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 11,832 Thanks
  • 8,675 posts

Posted August 01, 2017 - 07:10 AM

I bought a non running 220 2 years ago for $350 but it had a split piston so the engine won't be hard to rebuild. It came with a mower deck, snowblower, plow, wheel weights, trailer hitch, and tire chains. I figured that the attachments were worth more than the price and the tractor was a freebie. Now I just need to get around to rebuilding the engine. My daily driver is a 222 that was running but damaged when I bought it for $200. I spent another $200 for parts and it now is a great tractor.

I would walk away from that one and not look back. I'm seeing GT selling prices drop in my area. There are plenty of the crackhead priced things but they aren't selling. Good Luck, Rick

• My3kidsfather said thank you

#10 My3kidsfather OFFLINE  

My3kidsfather
  • 48 Thanks
  • 32 posts

Posted August 02, 2017 - 06:01 PM

Sometimes people think it's worth a try to get good money for a big name brand item. I am leaning your way guys, walk away, let it sit for a while and see if it's still there, and available at a lower price.