Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

What's the worst thing you ever seen happen?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Greasy6020 ONLINE  

Greasy6020
  • Member No: 78477
  • 1,221 Thanks
  • 1,185 posts

Posted July 30, 2017 - 09:54 PM

To your tractor?

Today I watched my cousin sock the roper rt16 into gear without the clutch. he discovered in a hurry that you don't do that. I think the steady stream of cursing n swearing got the point across.

The roper rt16 is ok though!

Back to my question... what's the worst thing you've seen happen to your tractor?
  • hamman and chieffan have said thanks

#2 olds45512 ONLINE  

olds45512
  • Member No: 77943
  • 1,239 Thanks
  • 629 posts

Posted July 31, 2017 - 06:24 AM

I'm the only one that uses my tractor's so nothing bad ever happens to them. I did sell a cub 100 I had to a friend's dad about 10yrs ago and he flipped it on the hill in their back yard and it rolled about 10 times but only managed to bend the steering wheel a bit.

Edited by olds45512, July 31, 2017 - 06:25 AM.

• chieffan and Greasy6020 have said thanks

#3 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Millennium Falcon

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 12,245 Thanks
  • 9,188 posts

Posted July 31, 2017 - 06:28 AM

Nothing . . .              much.

• Greasy6020 said thank you

#4 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 8,821 Thanks
  • 6,054 posts

Posted July 31, 2017 - 07:34 AM

Very picky about who drives any of my tractors.  GF has her 775 she uses as a yard donkey but I keep tab on the oil, gas, etc.  Granddaughter has her RAM but only drives it when either of us is along side.  Some people simply should not be on a GT.  When someone calls one of my GT's a "Lawn Mower Tractor" I tell them to step back 2 paces.

• limebuzz, propane1, holdenboy1960 and 1 other said thanks

#5 MiCarl OFFLINE  

MiCarl
  • Member No: 75926
  • 1,749 Thanks
  • 933 posts

Posted July 31, 2017 - 08:13 AM

Well, I didn't see it.

Wife is a school teacher.  Used to "help me out" by mowing with the Craftsman lawn tractor during her summer break.  I was always fixing things on that tractor......

One day I went out to open the shed door and it moved funny.  A check found the hinges were bent.  When I asked her about it she said "It got hung up on the tractor when I was closing it, but I didn't think it did any damage."  Turns out she was riding the tractor to close the door rather than get off to do it.

She's not allowed to "help me out" with the mowing any more.

Edited by MiCarl, July 31, 2017 - 08:13 AM.

• limebuzz, Cvans, propane1 and 2 others have said thanks

#6 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Millennium Falcon

• Contributor
  • 12,245 Thanks
  • 9,188 posts

Posted July 31, 2017 - 08:53 AM

She's not allowed to "help me out" with the mowing any more.

Yeah, that's really punishing her.

• holdenboy1960 said thank you

#7 MiCarl OFFLINE  

MiCarl
  • Member No: 75926
  • 1,749 Thanks
  • 933 posts

Posted July 31, 2017 - 10:26 AM

Yeah, that's really punishing her.

It's not really punishment.  It takes me less time to mow than it does to fix the stuff she breaks so I come out ahead.

It's the price I pay for marrying a city girl.

Edited by MiCarl, July 31, 2017 - 10:27 AM.

• limebuzz, MH81, Sawdust and 3 others have said thanks

#8 ShotgunWedding ONLINE  

ShotgunWedding
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 84933
  • 248 Thanks
  • 118 posts

Posted July 31, 2017 - 10:41 AM

Oh boy....I have a good one to tell.  This is a true story, probably 10 years old now.

My father-in-law, who is a boneheaded cheapskate was living down in Texas for the winters, has an older Craftsman gear drive LT.  He had some junk for a yard sale in the garage, so when it came time to put tractor away after cutting grass...he looks at his buddy's closed-in motorcycle trailer which was being stored there and decides to use it to store the tractor.  Rolls down the ramps and proceeds to drive up into the trailer.  Well, the back tires had a bit of grass on them and started spinning as the deck got a bit caught on the ramp-to-trailer deck transition, so he looks backward, shifts his weight to the spinning tire side and......away it goes!

Now, he was right at the ramp top, and the old bugger needed to duck to get into the trailer, but as he was looking backward, by the time the tractor takes off, he just gets his head turned around when the top of the trailer whacks him right in the forward as the tractor lurches forward.  Now, the force knocks him way back in his seat and the tractor keeps on going as he cant touch the clutch/brake anymore as he is now halfway out of the seat as he is dragged into the trailer, his face smeared on the roof of the trailer and his neck bent way back against the back of the seat and the trailer roof.

The tractor hits the end and just spins, engine roaring, dude yelling for help!!!

By the time his wife, my MIL comes, the tractor is still spinning, he's passed out.  She rolls him out, his nose is almost right off his face, face and forehead full of blood and scraped with wood splinters and his neck is seriously screwed.

911, etc etc, 2 cervical vertebra broken, badly broken nose and lots of skin loss. 

Moral of the story?  Craftsman's are meant to be left outside!!!

• Cvans, LilysDad, Sawdust and 5 others have said thanks

#9 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Millennium Falcon

• Contributor
  • 12,245 Thanks
  • 9,188 posts

Posted July 31, 2017 - 02:24 PM

Yeah, but what happened to the tractor?!!

Edited by LilysDad, July 31, 2017 - 02:25 PM.

• MH81 and Greasy6020 have said thanks

#10 ShotgunWedding ONLINE  

ShotgunWedding
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 84933
  • 248 Thanks
  • 118 posts

Posted July 31, 2017 - 03:00 PM

Its a Craftsman!!!  LOL

#11 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Millennium Falcon

• Contributor
  • 12,245 Thanks
  • 9,188 posts

Posted July 31, 2017 - 04:21 PM

He's your FIL!!! LOL

#12 bryan 110 OFFLINE  

bryan 110
  • Member No: 52864
  • 220 Thanks
  • 286 posts

Posted July 31, 2017 - 05:10 PM

Its a Craftsman!!!  LOL

lifetime warranty on craftsman tools gts can be a tool. It's been returned and replaced

Yeah, but what happened to the tractor?!!

#13 diesel nut ONLINE  

diesel nut
  • Member No: 7572
  • 646 Thanks
  • 401 posts

Posted July 31, 2017 - 08:57 PM

It wasn't my tractor but I restored one for an acquaintance from an engine show about 20 years ago.  First and last time I'll ever do that.  Spent close to 6 weeks 4-5 hours a day during summer vacation from school getting it all redone and running good and looking beautiful.  It had been sitting near a barn that burned from a lightning strike and half the paint was burned off and the other half was about 5 different colors all peeling off.   Even had customers at my dads shop asking if it was for sale when I finished it.  Got it all done and delivered it and got paid and as my dad and I were pulling out of the driveway the owners son was racing around on it in the yard and crashed it into the side of a bulldozer sitting in the yard.  Just about made me puke when I saw it happen.  Made sure the kid was ok and went home.  Saw it a year later at a show and it was almost as bad looking as it was when I first picked it up to redo.  Had to just say never again and walked away shaking my head at how the poor tractor had been treated.

• Cvans, LilysDad, Sawdust and 2 others have said thanks

#14 64fleetside OFFLINE  

64fleetside
  • Member No: 77612
  • 189 Thanks
  • 98 posts

Posted July 31, 2017 - 09:22 PM

Mine tried too "help me out" once, drove ten feet and over the only stump in the yard. Bent one blade and broke the belt.
  • Cvans, Sawdust, holdenboy1960 and 1 other said thanks

#15 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,863 Thanks
  • 4,748 posts

Posted August 05, 2017 - 03:04 AM

This is what I got back from a 'professional restorer' after I took my Bolens HDT1000 to him to restore.

Bear in mind that this is a VERY rare tractor (1 of 6 known) here in the States as it was supposed to be for export only.

Rather than write it down, I'd suggest that you visit the "Soon my Precious" thread over on the Bolens sub forum and look at post #31, #42, #61, and #62.

I would have posted links, but for some reason I'm not able to copy and paste. Seems as though the site management can't get that working for us folks on IE 11.

• KennyP and Sawdust have said thanks