9 replies to this topic

#1 ad356 OFFLINE  

ad356

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3766
  • 9 Thanks
  • 160 posts

Posted June 21, 2011 - 06:38 AM

not saying that it is a bad tractor, just saying that its about average. nothing really makes it stand out. i have owned the 112 for a while and now i got into IH cub cadets. it appears the IH built cub cadets are much better machines. the trans-axle is allot stronger, no stupid belts or variator to deal with, and in my opinion the IH had better attachments like the qa42. people seem to put john deere products on a pedestal simply because its a john deere. i think a 140 is more or less competition to the IH built machines, but when you compare gear drive to gear drive the cub cadets are better. john deere just used a run of the mill peerless 2300 transaxle. now its not a bad transaxle, just not nearly as good as a farmall cub rear axle. what do you guys think. i think the 110, 112, and 200 series are good tractors but nothing seperates them from the rest of the crowd. the IH machines stood out simply for the drivetrain. it was and is the best. the best deere ever made are the 140, 300 series, and 400 series but people always want an arm and a leg for them just because they are a john deere

im thinking about parting ways with my 112 and its attachments at some point. its needs restoration, and i dont know if want to dump a ton of money into it. it runs well just that cosmetically its beat, and i dont think its really that special of a tractor. dont get the impression that im calling the JD gear drives junk, just that there is nothing that seperates them from every other garden tractor from that era. they are still a much better machine that most of the junk built today

Edited by ad356, June 21, 2011 - 06:59 AM.

#2 Tmo OFFLINE  

Tmo

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2023
  • 356 Thanks
  • 486 posts

Posted June 21, 2011 - 12:52 PM

I'm just the opposite - I had several, and I mean several Cub Cadets, three 104s, a 125, two 122s, a 107, and a 1250 and I will take a John Deere any day over a Cub. Sorry if you feel the opposite, but to each his own, I guess. Right now I have a 125 that I simply can't get rid of - I might have to part it out. If it was green and yellow, I could sell it in a heartbeat.

BTW, I wouldn't be posting such negative comments about a brand inside that said brand section - you might get some very negative comments.

#3 ad356 OFFLINE  

ad356

Tractorholic

• 9 Thanks
  • 160 posts

Posted June 21, 2011 - 12:58 PM

neither are a bad tractor, i just feel that the shaft driven cub lo-boy transaxle used in the cub cadet is superior to the peerless used in the john deere. peerless transaxles were used in everything. the cub transaxle was only used in cub cadets.

why do you like the john deere 112 better? is it that they sell better. for some reason many people want a john deere simply for the fact that they are a john deere. personally i think the IH built cub cadets are stronger, but thats just my opinion.

why do you think nearly all pulling tractors use a modified IH cub cadet garden tractor trans?

#4 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted June 21, 2011 - 01:49 PM

I would say that they are all good, I had been a Cadet fan since I worked for an IH Dealer in 68 while in HS.
Have used many Cadets over the years and the one thing I found a little hard to swallow with the gear drive was a lack of speed when mowing.
Too often 2nd was too slow and 3rd was too fast for conditions (If there had been a two speed dif it might have helped or if they had added a variator?.)
With 3 acres of lawn to mow, for that reason I would take my JD 318 over any Cadet I have seen. I'm not too brand consious, The Gear Drive Cadet might be superior for heavy ground engagement work, but to do it all I like my JD Hydro.

#5 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted June 21, 2011 - 02:27 PM

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions but I would never go as far as saying one is junk. The drive system used on the John Deere 110/112 and others is the same drive setup used on the Massey gear drive garden tractors and I gotta say they are pretty stout units and definitely not junk.

I really like the Cub Cadet drive lines also.

#6 ad356 OFFLINE  

ad356

Tractorholic

• 9 Thanks
  • 160 posts

Posted June 21, 2011 - 03:03 PM

never said the word junk. i prefer good old shaft drive, but the other systems from that time period were mostly good. nearly all garden tractors sold in the time period are good machines. many 112's have stood the test of time and a still with us today. i might restore the 112 at some point, but i need a hood, decals, and god knows what-else

#7 Dieseljon OFFLINE  

Dieseljon

• Member No: 3923
  • 7 Thanks
  • 38 posts

Posted June 21, 2011 - 03:36 PM

Hydro all the way! :rocker2:

#8 broken2 OFFLINE  

broken2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 85
  • 279 Thanks
  • 425 posts

Posted June 21, 2011 - 03:50 PM

I've never owned a cub but will grab one in a heartbeat if it's a good deal and funds permit. When it comes to gear drive gt's I do prefer a well tuned variable speed over a strait gear drive. I mowed with a gear drive Wheel horse for a while and it did a good job but where the grass was thin it was to slow and then in the heavy stuff to fast. My mother has been cutting her lawn with a JD212 and it suits her very well. The manual lift deck lifts easily, the clutch is lite, it has a steering box(steers easily), it's quiet, stable , rides nice and she uses the variable speed a lot. My father bought it w/snowthrower about 15 years ago for $750, he got his moneys worth a long time ago. Personally I like just about any real GT and aspire to have some of every brand someday. The ones that catch my eye right now are the ones that you don't see as often as the cubs and deeres. One nice thing about the 110/112/200's is they are simple to work on and new&used parts are readily available. I do have to say the vari-drive on my mf12g is really nice when I take it to plow days and a cub gets in my way, I can slow down without stopping.:poke:

#9 MF14 plowday special OFFLINE  

MF14 plowday special

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4377
  • 33 Thanks
  • 255 posts

Posted June 27, 2011 - 05:12 PM

I am a JD man but I like the old narrow frame Cubs. The belt driven side drive transaxles made for Sears and the WheelHorse tranny were far superior to the Peerless .... thats a fact fairly well proven at the tractor pulls. And the Cubs dominate there with their clutch and shaft driven Farmall Cub tranny.

JD has a heavier frame and better mechanical clutch than the early Cubs. I don't care for disc brakes either.

To each his own. I mow With (2) 212's and do the heavy work with hydros ... a 140 and a 314 with loader and converted to h3 and turning brakes.

I have bought many Deeres with noisy or torn up trannys.... that don't take abuse. But if maintained I have known tractors that mowed for 30 years with no issues

Ask a Cub guy about h3 and turning brakes .... he will say .... Huh??????

I have Grandpa's Farmall Cub here..... great little tractor

Edited by MF14 plowday special, June 27, 2011 - 05:20 PM.

#10 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted June 27, 2011 - 07:46 PM

The peerless transaxles are not a big and strong as the Cub Cadet drives. However, they have stood the test of time for many people. There is a lot more to a tractor than the transmission and the older JD's have filled the needs of many people for decades. Most people don't care that the transmission is not as strong as a CC.
One feature of the older 300 series JD's that is hard to find in other 30 year old garden tractors is that many of the parts are still available new from JD. This is one of the factors that contributes to the high resale value.
As far as pulling goes very few owners of GT's will want to put their tractor in a pulling contest. They are more interested in doing the jobs they need to do. A hydro drive may not be as good for pulling but is preferred by many people for day to day use.