• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 John M OFFLINE  

John M
  • Member No: 83381
  • 2 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted July 28, 2017 - 06:02 PM

I picked up a mtd 960 a few months back I need to fix the dash. I removed the pin in the steering wheel and it won't move. Does the metal cap at the top come off to use a steering wheel puller?
Thanks john
  • holdenboy1960 said thank you

#2 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8923
  • 12,020 Thanks
  • 8,796 posts

Posted July 28, 2017 - 10:46 PM

Welcome to GTT. I don't remember on that wheel. I have an 860. In our Manuals Section you can find the owners and shop manuals. Download them and look for the section on steering. Soak it all with PB Blaster for awhile. Good Luck, Rick

• holdenboy1960 said thank you

#3 John M OFFLINE  

John M
  • 2 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted July 29, 2017 - 07:51 AM

Thanks for the reply and welcome Rick I found the owners manual and it difficult to tell about the washer or disc on the top. I will look for a shop manual. I have tried the lube and limited heat it's difficult to heat without making the dash or steering wheel. John
  • boyscout862 said thank you

#4 VTXrider ONLINE  

VTXrider
  • Member No: 16031
  • 508 Thanks
  • 368 posts

Posted July 29, 2017 - 08:15 AM

Welcome to the forum.

You are experiencing a common issue with the steering wheel removal. Once the pin is out, there is nothing else holding it on. I bought a gear puller from Harbor Freight. Trying not to damage the plastic is the goal. Mount the puller and apply maximum pressure while soaking with PB Blaster or Kroil for over two weeks. Hitting the top of the screw on the puller every day with a hammer. Finally let loose.

I have a steering wheel in my parts pile that has never let loose. I got the wheel and shaft out by removing the pin on the gear on the other end. 

Read where one owner cut the shaft with a saws-all or cutoff wheel and made a shaft coupler with set screws to reconnect it.

Edited by VTXrider, July 30, 2017 - 06:26 AM.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#5 John M OFFLINE  

John M
  • 2 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted July 29, 2017 - 08:22 PM

Got it thanks!! I have quite a few missing pieces on the dash. I might just make it out of steel all though fiberglass might be easier.

#6 MolonLabe ONLINE  

MolonLabe

Rust Wrangler

• Member No: 59683
  • 547 Thanks
  • 313 posts

Posted August 01, 2017 - 03:57 PM

Try a bearing splitter to pull the steering wheel. They work great for pulleys, steering wheels, etc....