Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Road trip coming up this weekend Picking up another Bolens tractor, Stay toned for details!

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 logmillingman ONLINE  

logmillingman
  • Member No: 68213
  • 336 Thanks
  • 178 posts

Posted July 28, 2017 - 10:39 AM

Hey guys, landed another Bolens, picking it up on Sunday afternoon! Will give you more details shortly so stay toned, might even include a picture, I know how everyone loves pictures! 

• Bolens 1000 and Bolens800uk have said thanks

#2 logmillingman ONLINE  

logmillingman
  • 336 Thanks
  • 178 posts

Posted July 28, 2017 - 01:04 PM

Ok here is the info and pictures from CL on the Bolens I'm picking up on Sunday. The gentleman I spoke with was very nice and wanted the tractor to go to someone who would restore it. He had got it from a friend ten years ago when he moved and could not take it with him. The gentleman I spoke with had planned to restore it but had not got around to it and he needed to make some room in his shed.

He agreed to lower the price because of the engine work that needed to be done, so I was very happy with the whole deal, I like it when people have a connection with their tractor and there is a story behind it.

Even though this is a basic three speed tractor with a non electric start engine it is a fine example of Bolens trying to create an economy tractor that was still able to get the job done, but allowed people on a tighter budget to still be able to purchase and enjoy the benefits of owning a Bolens tractor.

I also like this tractor because it is a one year (1966) production and it still has the original tires on it. It has been stored inside for ten years which is why it still looks as good as it does.

I will get you some more pics after the road trip when I get it home and unloaded.

enjoy the pictures!

https://newhaven.cra...6219124347.html

• Gtractor, Sawdust, cootertom and 1 other said thanks

#3 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 8,108 Thanks
  • 7,548 posts

Posted July 28, 2017 - 01:24 PM

I'm holding back my thoughts........ :wallbanging:

• Sawdust and logmillingman have said thanks

#4 dtsh OFFLINE  

dtsh
  • Member No: 82586
  • 216 Thanks
  • 140 posts

Posted July 28, 2017 - 03:34 PM

That looks like a nice tractor, the pics suggest it's probably in better shape than my 750 was (is?)

It isn't going to be a powerhouse, but I find mine, with it's 7HP motor to be quite effective.

The mount for the snowplow looks odd to me, I'm not sure if it's the pictures or just a model I am unfamiliar with.

• logmillingman said thank you

#5 bonusbuilt1950 OFFLINE  

bonusbuilt1950
  • Member No: 82972
  • 374 Thanks
  • 184 posts

Posted July 28, 2017 - 06:14 PM

I had thought about that tractor as it is not that far from me, but I have too many now and a soon to be mine 1556 on the way. I am thinking about thinning out the ride a matic herd to one or 2 of each body style. Still in the thinking stage right now, unless someone has a 62 ride a matic to trade. We'll see......

#6 logmillingman ONLINE  

logmillingman
  • 336 Thanks
  • 178 posts

Posted July 28, 2017 - 07:08 PM

Yes dtsh, It looked to me from the pics that other than the broken rod in the engine that the tractor was in good shape, the only thing the owner was not sure of was the condition of the transmission.

It is amazing what you can do with just a little HP and the right power transfer and gearing.

The plow is unfamiliar to me I don't think it is Bolens unless it is an older generation than the tube frame plows. 

yes bonusbuilt1950, I live in western Mass. so it will be just under a 2 hour drive for me each way, but its Sunday afternoon, its a good excuse for going for a drive!

#7 Bruce Dorsi OFFLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,819 Thanks
  • 2,411 posts

Posted July 28, 2017 - 07:16 PM

You're correct --- that is NOT a Bolens plow.

#8 jabelman OFFLINE  

jabelman
  • Member No: 38843
  • 1,959 Thanks
  • 1,425 posts

Posted July 28, 2017 - 07:16 PM

I had thought about that tractor as it is not that far from me, but I have too many now and a soon to be mine 1556 on the way. I am thinking about thinning out the ride a matic herd to one or 2 of each body style. Still in the thinking stage right now, unless someone has a 62 ride a matic to trade. We'll see......

remember I am looking for a front rim!

#9 WNYTractorTinkerer ONLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 9,449 Thanks
  • 5,250 posts

Posted July 28, 2017 - 07:28 PM

Have a safe trip!

I'll stay 'toned' now..

#10 logmillingman ONLINE  

logmillingman
  • 336 Thanks
  • 178 posts

Posted July 28, 2017 - 08:04 PM

Yes WNYTractorTinKerer thanks I will be safe! When ever I have to pull the trailer down the highway I always try to be extra careful. It should be a fun trip on a Sunday afternoon.

#11 logmillingman ONLINE  

logmillingman
  • 336 Thanks
  • 178 posts

Posted July 28, 2017 - 08:10 PM

I don't know if anyone recognizes what make of plow that is? I don't recognize it. 

#12 jabelman OFFLINE  

jabelman
  • Member No: 38843
  • 1,959 Thanks
  • 1,425 posts

Posted July 28, 2017 - 08:46 PM

I don't know if anyone recognizes what make of plow that is? I don't recognize it.

my guess is a sears or gravely that's modified to fit

Edited by jabelman, July 28, 2017 - 08:48 PM.

#13 logmillingman ONLINE  

logmillingman
  • 336 Thanks
  • 178 posts

Posted July 30, 2017 - 08:29 PM

Ok Guys I just got back from my road trip with the Bolens 650 on the trailer, had a great time meeting with the owner talking about the tractor, he thinks it may have belonged to his friends father or grand father.

He had some questions about the tractor, one of them was why there was a second pulley groove on the engine pulley and drive shaft pulley? I told him that it was a manual high and low for the three speed transmission like on the earlier model Bolens 600, you have to turn off the engine and manually change the belt to the other set of grooves. He is an engineer so it did not make any sense to him until I explained it to him.

the tractor had been stored in his shed for ten years out of the weather, and he told me his friend had stored it in his garage before that . It looks like it has never been left outside.

It has clear plastic head light lens mounted in the front of the hood but there are no lights. 

I will post some pictures tomorrow because by the time I got back home it was dark.

Edited by logmillingman, July 30, 2017 - 08:46 PM.

• Bolens 1000, KennyP, Cat385B and 3 others have said thanks

#14 logmillingman ONLINE  

logmillingman
  • 336 Thanks
  • 178 posts

Posted July 31, 2017 - 11:12 AM

Ok Guys I had a chance this morning to take a few pictures before it is rolled off the trailer, I tried to get some close ups so you can see things, will get some more pics after I roll it off the trailer.

Even though this tractor has narrower tires and 6HP briggs I like it a lot and plan on repairing the engine if possible, cleaning it all up but using it as is and not do a complete restoration on it for now. It is just in to good a condition, even the white paint on the hood still has a gloss on it.

I think I will use it around the yard for right now to pull a rear cart and put it on flower bed duties.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCN5220.JPG
  • DSCN5222.JPG
  • DSCN5223.JPG
  • DSCN5224.JPG
  • DSCN5225.JPG
  • DSCN5226.JPG
  • DSCN5227.JPG
  • DSCN5228.JPG
  • DSCN5229.JPG
  • DSCN5230.JPG
  • DSCN5231.JPG