• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 logmillingman OFFLINE  

logmillingman
  • Member No: 68213
  • 385 Thanks
  • 228 posts

Posted July 26, 2017 - 08:13 AM

Well I have had to take a break from my H14 1456 PTO tractor rebuild project to get things organized around here with all the tractors and attachments I picked up this winter and get them put away so I could clear the driveway. And I thought I would try to remove the tiller extensions on one of the round back tillers I picked up.

I managed to finally remove the clevis pin, they were fused pretty solid in the shaft and applied O/C torch to really heat up the hub sleeve but to no avail. I can't get it to move.

So now I have decided to stand the tiller up on end and begin applying PB Blaster to the joint where the hub ext shaft slides into the sleeve of the inner hub. I plan on giving it a squirt everyday for a week or so and try it again. This time I will heat it and use two large pipe wrenches to try to turn the shift in the hub. 

If you guys have any input on how to proceed, any experience having done this before I would greatly appreciate it,  Maybe I'm missing something here!

• blackjackjakexxix said thank you

#2 WNYTractorTinkerer OFFLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 9,731 Thanks
  • 5,421 posts

Posted July 26, 2017 - 09:04 AM

Warm it up again and things should loosen up unless they are really rusted together..  Heat is your friend here..  Direct the heat in a way as it will heat the outside part first creating a gap to work things free..  PB the heck outta it and keep at it and you will get it..  

• blackjackjakexxix and logmillingman have said thanks

#3 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 14,612 Thanks
  • 17,951 posts

Posted July 26, 2017 - 10:03 AM

:ditto:

Going to have to get some heat on it, lots of rust and dirt is probably holding you back these tillers are probably the worst things to take apart out of all Bolens implements due to the harsh conditions they are put in with moisture,dirt ect.

• blackjackjakexxix and logmillingman have said thanks

#4 JBRamsey ONLINE  

JBRamsey
  • Member No: 61995
  • 1,311 Thanks
  • 760 posts

Posted July 26, 2017 - 01:51 PM

First, why do you want to remove them? If you are taking them off, just to take them off, why do it?

Otherwise, heat, penetrating oil and patience. Lots of patience. The torch will be your friend. When you put it back together, anti-seize will make it easier on the next guy that takes it apart.
  • logmillingman said thank you

#5 logmillingman OFFLINE  

logmillingman
  • Member No: 68213
  • 385 Thanks
  • 228 posts

Posted July 26, 2017 - 04:58 PM

Thanks Guys, That's what I figured penetrating oil, heat, and time. These are 22" tillers with extensions on them, I am just removing the extensions and the extension covers and then I will be restoring them later on.