• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 dinkydok OFFLINE  

dinkydok
  • Member No: 10634
  • 3 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted July 25, 2017 - 09:49 PM

I have an old craftsman pull behind rototiller which fits perfectly behind my Sears Suburban 15. Bought it at consignment auction few years back and surmised it had not been used for years and I also set it aside for a few. I finally desperately needed it for large 1.5 acre garden this year to cultivate weeds early. Did' t fool around and bought replace carb as well as new ignition coil and got it to run...after I did a meticulous clean out of the gum/shellac etc of the tank. First soaked it few days with mineral spirits then used all sorts of abrasive devices to turn the inside clean as I could. Almost continuous compressed gas blow out till it appeared reasonably clean. Had to let is set a few week till I got the tractor running and went to start it and she would run then stop then not start etc. Finally looked at the sediment bowl and it was 1/2 fill with gunk.

What else can I do to clean it  short of steam cleaning at local tractor dealer or get a poly plastic tank? Tank is for a 8hp B&S.

thank You

#2 Eric OFFLINE  

Eric
  • Member No: 41778
  • 1,317 Thanks
  • 811 posts

Posted July 25, 2017 - 11:22 PM

Get a few steel nuts and toss them in with a bit of detergent give it a few hundred shakes rinse and repeat till it looks clean.
  • Alc, boyscout862, dinkydok and 1 other said thanks

#3 Jazz ONLINE  

Jazz
  • Member No: 62028
  • 2,176 Thanks
  • 1,345 posts

Posted July 26, 2017 - 12:09 AM

Fill with vinegar and let sit a few days then put your nuts in there and shake it about. Vinegar dissolves rust. I have a 20 gallon tote of vinegar for soaking rusty items
  • Alc, boyscout862, dinkydok and 4 others have said thanks

#4 stiemmy OFFLINE  

stiemmy
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53712
  • 2,536 Thanks
  • 1,830 posts

Posted July 26, 2017 - 01:11 AM

Fill with vinegar and let sit a few days then put your nuts in there and shake it about. Vinegar dissolves rust. I have a 20 gallon tote of vinegar for soaking rusty items

Agreed, while this does work well, I had to chuckle the 1st time I read this;)
  • KC9KAS, dinkydok, WNYTractorTinkerer and 1 other said thanks

#5 EricFromPa OFFLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 3,369 Thanks
  • 3,009 posts

Posted July 26, 2017 - 04:49 AM

Vinegar Soak and drop a bunch of Small clean gravel in it. Then bungee strap or ratchet strap it to the wheel on your tractor. Jack up the rear of the tractor and start it up and put it in 1st gear and let it spin for about 1/2 an hour. Then put the tractor in reverse and let it spin another 1/2 hour.

Once you rinse it out really good and use a hair drier to quickly dry it out.The quicker it dries out the less chance of flash rust. You should line the tank to prevent similar problems down the road.

This stuff is good and pretty cheap. Costs less than Red Kote but holds up just as well.

Amazon link.

https://www.amazon.c...CB0QT1Q6HRBMPW7

Ebay link.

http://www.ebay.com/...c4AAOSwOVpXViuL

Edited by EricFromPa, July 26, 2017 - 04:50 AM.

• KennyP, dinkydok, TomLGT195 and 4 others have said thanks

#6 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 36,285 Thanks
  • 44,870 posts

Posted July 26, 2017 - 05:03 AM

Which vinegar, White or Cider?

• dinkydok and Jazz have said thanks

#7 karel OFFLINE  

karel
  • Member No: 38218
  • 1,916 Thanks
  • 1,292 posts

Posted July 26, 2017 - 05:38 AM

BB's and acetone.

• dinkydok said thank you

#8 farmer john OFFLINE  

farmer john
  • Member No: 11605
  • 1,754 Thanks
  • 894 posts

Posted July 26, 2017 - 05:44 AM

this may sound weird but after a ton of trys trying to clean out a tank i resorted to my cement mixer, i put in a few hand fulls of black beauty sand blast shot in the tank, wrapped the tank in an old blanket  and tossed it into the mixer, if the blanket is not snug wrap a wire or cord around it just to keep the tank from bouncing around, 30 minutes or so later presto the inside looked like new, rinsed it out with some gas and good to go. hope this hepls

• boyscout862, dinkydok, MolonLabe and 2 others have said thanks

#9 EricFromPa OFFLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 3,369 Thanks
  • 3,009 posts

Posted July 26, 2017 - 05:48 AM

apple cider vinegar is a good bit stronger than White vinegar but will etch the metal if you let it soak very long. Should be fine to let it soak for 24 hours but I wouldn't let it go any longer.

Safer than using Muriatic Acid and doesn't flash rust nearly as quick. I did a couple tanks with Muriatic Acid and by the time your done rinsing it's all ready starting to rust. By the time it dries completely it will have a thin cote of rust on the whole thing unless you dump baking soda in the tank while it's still damp

Here check this little video out.

Edited by EricFromPa, July 26, 2017 - 06:01 AM.

• KennyP, boyscout862, dinkydok and 1 other said thanks

#10 poncho62 ONLINE  

poncho62
  • Member No: 42
  • 1,409 Thanks
  • 1,551 posts

Posted July 26, 2017 - 06:36 AM

Instead of shaking, strap it to the rear wheel of your tractor and go cut the grass.........OK, I'm lazy.

• dinkydok, farmer john and old coot have said thanks

#11 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Millennium Falcon

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 12,575 Thanks
  • 9,395 posts

Posted July 26, 2017 - 07:22 AM

Phosphoric Acid (Metal Prep) is sold at the Auto Stores. It's also an ingredient in soft drinks.

• boyscout862, dinkydok and Jazz have said thanks

#12 Doxey OFFLINE  

Doxey
  • Member No: 48959
  • 190 Thanks
  • 144 posts

Posted July 26, 2017 - 01:23 PM

You can also get Phosphoric acid at Home Depot in the paint department.  I just ordered a Qt. [32oz.] of Red Kote sealer on Ebay for $24.99 with free shipping. 

Edited by Doxey, July 26, 2017 - 01:27 PM.

• dinkydok said thank you

#13 Jazz ONLINE  

Jazz
  • Member No: 62028
  • 2,176 Thanks
  • 1,345 posts

Posted July 26, 2017 - 05:22 PM

Which vinegar, White or Cider?

I buy white vinegar as its cheap.  $2.00 a gallon at Dollarama.  Disposal is not a issue. It will kill any weeds in your driveway.  I am of the impression some types of vinegar may work faster...thats key.  If I need some rust removed now the sandblaster comes out other wise I can wait for items to soak.  I actually drop a chain into gas tanks because my nuts are zinc coated and vinegar will remove coating.

DONT ever soak cast in vinegar.

Edited by Jazz, July 26, 2017 - 05:22 PM.

• dinkydok and TomLGT195 have said thanks