3 replies to this topic

#1 Encrypt OFFLINE  

Encrypt

• Contributor
  • Member No: 502
  • 9 Thanks
  • 89 posts

Posted June 20, 2011 - 08:38 PM

So we are finally getting a FEL for the Kubota. I was wondering if anyone that has a FEL uses a tooth bar. What are some of the advantages and disadvantages with them? I was planning on helping out a friend that has a mound of dirt that has been setting for about 3 - 4 years so the dirt has settled and compacted and didn't just want to run the bucket right into it and mess up the cutting edge. Thanks for everyone's input!

#2 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,503 Thanks
  • 39,730 posts

Posted June 21, 2011 - 05:44 AM

I do not have a FEL. But having worked with heavy equipment most of my life, I would think a tooth bar would be a help in getting the dirt loosened up. If you can make something that is stout, yet easily removed, you will be ahead of the game. Most I have worked with had the teeth mounted directly to the cutting edge.

#3 massey driver OFFLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 75
  • 1,076 Thanks
  • 1,445 posts

Posted June 21, 2011 - 07:30 AM

I made a tooth bar for my Massey's I can use it on either the MF 1655 or the GC 2300. I did find out a problem last fall when using it.I made it so it would bolt on underneath the cutting edge of the bucket.Now here's the problem the teeth work fine but now I have a double width cutting edge and it sure made it harder to dig into the dirt with.Just the bucket without the tooth bar mounted worked better to dig with,I haven't gotten around to changing it yet.I supposed what I'll have to do is figure out how to mount it even with the cutting edge on the bucket.Larry

#4 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,503 Thanks
  • 39,730 posts

Posted June 21, 2011 - 05:51 PM

That's where it should be, out front yet even with the bottom of the loader.