UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 14,597 Thanks
  • 8,324 posts

Posted July 25, 2017 - 07:16 AM

My Ransome XT3100 (Delilah) is severely under-powered. By the time the 18hp opposed Kholer is busy dragging around the heavy carcass  (no clue what it weighs, but I can't lift it), running the hydraulics, and pulling my fat butt; there isn't much left to spin the ginsu blades.

However, I just fell into a Craftsman GT5000 that needs work to the body, the 26hp v twin Kholer is perfect though. 

SO this morning while I was out mowing in the dewy cool I got to thinking. What if I put the 26 hp in place of the 18? Any ideas? Thoughts? Complaints? Criticisms? Offers to help?

• KennyP said thank you

#2 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 11,470 Thanks
  • 8,478 posts

Posted July 25, 2017 - 08:22 AM

Sounds like a good idea. I would first do complete tuneups on both engines to deterrmine their true conditions. Also check if it will be a direct drop in of the 26hp. Then make yor decision. If you go for it, take plenty of pics. Good Luck, Rick
  • KennyP said thank you

#3 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 14,597 Thanks
  • 8,324 posts

Posted July 25, 2017 - 08:28 AM

Sounds like a good idea. I would first do complete tuneups on both engines to deterrmine their true conditions. Also check if it will be a direct drop in of the 26hp. Then make yor decision. If you go for it, take plenty of pics. Good Luck, Rick

One of the common complaints I am finding for these mowers is the lack of power. Unless you mow twice a week it bogs down. It is a good design, just lacking on poop to get through thick stuff. 

• KennyP and boyscout862 have said thanks

#4 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 8,424 Thanks
  • 5,826 posts

Posted July 25, 2017 - 01:30 PM

I am on my first season with a Cub 1512 with a 15hp  Kubota 3 cyl diesel and 50" deck.  I have yet to hear any hint of lack of power.  This morning I mowed around the garden, 8"+ of grass and foxtail, cutting with the deck raised to about 4".  Traveled slow of course but it kept right on going through thick and thin.  My other mower was a JD with 48" deck and 24 hp engine and it didn't have near the power this Cub has.  For me, a diesel is the only way to go.

#5 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 8,155 Thanks
  • 7,587 posts

Posted July 25, 2017 - 01:36 PM

That's what my first Husqvarna needed. They took that for a zero turn also. Guess that's what we talking?  Hard to translate. Keep in mind those have real big output shafts!  Think Husky one was 1-5/16 or close, had a weird adapter pulley on it, to come down to smaller size for the pto to mount on. These are vertical that I'm talking, guess you didn't say what you have, but bet same thing, made by same people I guess?

#6 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 34,252 Thanks
  • 43,377 posts

Posted July 25, 2017 - 03:56 PM

Sounds interesting! What are the model #'s for that Kohler?

• boyscout862 said thank you

#7 TomLGT195 ONLINE  

TomLGT195
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 29432
  • 3,273 Thanks
  • 2,531 posts

Posted July 25, 2017 - 05:02 PM

If you go for it, take plenty of pics and explain any issues you run across. I'm sure someone here can help if we see what's the issue.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#8 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 14,597 Thanks
  • 8,324 posts

Posted July 25, 2017 - 09:01 PM

Sounds interesting! What are the model #'s for that Kohler?

Someone would ask. I don't remember. I will try to look tomorrow in between running Emily from one appointment to another.