9 replies to this topic

#1 ShotgunWedding OFFLINE  

ShotgunWedding
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 84933
  • 248 Thanks
  • 117 posts

Posted July 24, 2017 - 02:41 PM

Up here in Southwestern Ontario, just harvested all my hard-neck garlic.  Pretty good crop this year, good size, nice color and looks like I picked in a  good time as the wrappers are still intact, maybe 5% seem a bit late.  These are a variety I got 26 years ago from a Croatian neighbour who brought them from the old country, I've been growing and selecting for quality with them for the last 26 years.  A few pics of the digging, the wagon full and of course a GT pic. Anyway, enjoy!

Attached Thumbnails

• 113.jpg
  • 114.jpg
  • 11.jpg
  • 112.jpg
  • 115.jpg

• KennyP, tractorgarden, WrenchinOnIt and 7 others have said thanks

#2 HANKG OFFLINE  

HANKG
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 29484
  • 5,979 Thanks
  • 3,290 posts

Posted July 24, 2017 - 05:16 PM

Nice crop, and that cart is awesome.
  • KennyP, boyscout862 and ShotgunWedding have said thanks

#3 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 8,799 Thanks
  • 6,034 posts

Posted July 24, 2017 - 07:11 PM

Never tried to grow garlic.  Looks real good though.  Pulling onions in the morning.

• boyscout862 and ShotgunWedding have said thanks

#4 Alc OFFLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 6,428 Thanks
  • 7,234 posts

Posted July 24, 2017 - 07:18 PM

I've tried growing garlic but never as nice as yours . How did you know when to pull them out ?
  • boyscout862 and ShotgunWedding have said thanks

#5 ShotgunWedding OFFLINE  

ShotgunWedding
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 248 Thanks
  • 117 posts

Posted July 25, 2017 - 07:45 AM

Thanks HANKG, I had it custom made at a farm equipment dealer, he is now making more...hopefully he sells some.  It was pricey.

Weight has to be over 350lbs

• KennyP said thank you

#6 ShotgunWedding OFFLINE  

ShotgunWedding
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 248 Thanks
  • 117 posts

Posted July 25, 2017 - 07:51 AM

The rule of thumb is when half the leaves from the bottom up are dry and dead...pull them.  There is usually a 7 day window for this as the drying up happens fast.  Also, try to pull them dry...if it rained a lot in the day before, best to leave for another day or so. There are as many leaves as there are individual cloves.  Each leaf has a wrapper layer corresponding to it.  6 cloves, means 6 wrapper layers.  8 leaves, 8 cloves and 8 wrappers.  You want half the wrappers (outer ones) to be dry and the inside ones to dry after picking to "cure", giving best storage.

Waiting too long an the wrappers start to rot or breakdown and storage suffers, too soon and the garlic itself is too young and wont cure well for storage.  It is a bit of a nail biter when the time comes close, we always pull one or two to have a look first, as we did a week ago telling me that waiting another week was a good idea.

• Alc, oldedeeres and jimmy G have said thanks

#7 dogsoldier OFFLINE  

dogsoldier
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9589
  • 361 Thanks
  • 509 posts

Posted July 25, 2017 - 06:35 PM

When you plant , do you plant from seed or do you plant a clove for each plant ?

#8 ShotgunWedding OFFLINE  

ShotgunWedding
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 248 Thanks
  • 117 posts

Posted July 26, 2017 - 07:54 PM

Good question!  I plant always from existing cloves, breaking open my sorted "planters" bulbs from the obvious "eaters", planters being the best looking as far as outside wrapper quality and individual clove size.  These planters are carefully broken apart to separate the cloves where only the largest cloves are then planted.  In a bulb of 6-8 cloves of the selected planters, maybe 3-4 cloves of each will be planted, the rest go back into the eater pile.

Plant cloves 6 inches apart around mid to late October for me, they need to just begin rooting before the frost puts them on hold for the winter.  The winter is necessary for hard neck variety garlics, as the dormancy period is part of their life cycle.  They will be forst up in very early spring and 6 inches tall before you plant anything else...they are that early!

Now, to confuse things, I am in the process of growing from seed of my own, which is not really a seed but called a bulbil.  When the garlic flowers in the early summer, inside are what are called bulbils.  These look like seeds but are not, they are clones of the single parent.  Plant a bulbil in late fall and it comes up the first year as a tiny looking blade of grass, but with a pea sized single garlic clove in the ground (which will be harvested in a week or so).  This needs to be planted again in the fall, where year 2, it will be a half size clove sometime single, sometime multiple cloves.  Split if necessary and plant again in fall.  Now you are 3 years in, and in regular garlic harvest you will end up with a bigger bulb then you had started with 3 years ago...it's a way to rejuvenate the genetics.

Hope that answers!!!

• Alc and dogsoldier have said thanks

#9 nkaust OFFLINE  

nkaust

• Member No: 6766
  • 79 Thanks
  • 95 posts

Posted July 28, 2017 - 09:40 PM

i see the wagon is full and is there still more to pick? and what do you do with all of that garlic

#10 ShotgunWedding OFFLINE  

ShotgunWedding
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 248 Thanks
  • 117 posts

Posted July 31, 2017 - 08:40 AM

Well, most of it we eat....no vampires here for sure!  We do a lot of cooking as we don't believe much in factory-made food, so a lot of garlic is consumed.  We give a few out here and there, maybe 10 bulbs total to deserving people.

The rest you see still in the garden in the pictures are sweet onions.

• KennyP said thank you