• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 35,066 Thanks
  • 44,086 posts

Posted July 24, 2017 - 08:03 AM

Toying with an idea. I have the 54" deck from the Poulan Pro (needs lots of work to be a viable mower). Been comtemplating making it into either a pull-behind or 3-point attach mower. It will be self powered with a B&S opposed twin (18HP) I have had for some time. I have one set of swivel wheels and another set of wheels I could build into swivels if needed. The deck spindles seem to be real good (grease zerks in them), just the blades are not in good shape.

Here's pics of the mower and deck.

DSCN3074.JPG
DSCN3073.JPG
DSCN3072.JPG

Besides the bent hood, the electric PTO is locked up and I took the flywheel and stator off for the GT 3000. Also the front wheels should be 8", not 6".

Building this, I would be able to use Alice to mow with. But It would need to have a battery & fuel tank on the mower, besides the engine. Probably a pull-behind would be best with all that weight. I could make the tongue capable of offsetting the mower so I could be used with another mower pulling it, thus making a wide cut in one pass.\

Just thinking and looking for any other ideas along this line.

• Sawdust and MNGB have said thanks

#2 MiCarl ONLINE  

MiCarl
  • Member No: 75926
  • 1,743 Thanks
  • 930 posts

Posted July 24, 2017 - 08:08 AM

My only thought is to make sure the deck is good and solid.  I put a lot of time and effort into adapting a Deere deck I had to my Speedex, then half way through first mowing the rusty deck came apart.

• KennyP, Sawdust, MNGB and 1 other said thanks

#3 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 35,066 Thanks
  • 44,086 posts

Posted July 24, 2017 - 08:39 AM

Appears to be pretty good, I know it's a heavy sucker! I'll get some pics of the deck this morning.

• chieffan said thank you

#4 olds45512 ONLINE  

olds45512
  • Member No: 77943
  • 1,238 Thanks
  • 626 posts

Posted July 24, 2017 - 08:45 AM

I've had the same idea but to use a 60" haban from a Cub.
  • KennyP, Sawdust and chieffan have said thanks

#5 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 35,066 Thanks
  • 44,086 posts

Posted July 24, 2017 - 09:04 AM

Here's the deck.

DSCN3103.JPG     DSCN3104.JPG

• Sawdust and GeorgeT have said thanks

#6 poncho62 ONLINE  

poncho62
  • Member No: 42
  • 1,276 Thanks
  • 1,487 posts

Posted July 24, 2017 - 09:29 AM

I did one a while back using a Ford deck. Worked well as a tow behind.....The part where the engine sits was the front frame of the tractor I got the engine from. 

Brush mower 019 (Medium).jpg  

I wanted to use the deck mower to do a hill in front of my house. I had to try and push the mower up the bank, but it turned out to be too heavy. Wouldn't push it up to the top of the hill. 

001 (Medium).JPG  003 (Medium).JPG

I solved this by building a frame with swivel wheels to mount a push mower on . Not as wide, but works great.

IMG_1831.JPG  IMG_1832.JPG

• DH1, Gtractor, Alc and 5 others have said thanks

#7 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 8,799 Thanks
  • 6,034 posts

Posted July 24, 2017 - 10:33 AM

I would go with the side mower along with your regular tractor deck.  Large open ares it would be good one.  Never liked the tow behind mowers as the tractor packed the grass down and the mower don't pick it up.  End up with strips of un-mowed grass to much of the time.

• Alc, KennyP and Sawdust have said thanks

#8 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 35,066 Thanks
  • 44,086 posts

Posted July 24, 2017 - 11:29 AM

I would go with the side mower along with your regular tractor deck.  Large open ares it would be good one.  Never liked the tow behind mowers as the tractor packed the grass down and the mower don't pick it up.  End up with strips of un-mowed grass to much of the time.

If this deck is anything like the GT3000 deck, I get a dust storm when going over areas of sparse grass. It flat sucks everything up and throws it out!

• Sawdust said thank you

#9 daniel_b OFFLINE  

daniel_b
  • Member No: 65956
  • 95 Thanks
  • 89 posts

Posted July 24, 2017 - 01:35 PM

Kenny,
I built one to double-up my mowing width, used a deck off an early 80s sears GT, was only a 40couple inches...
sure did speed things up a lot!, especially considering I really was mowing a "hay-field" - not a lawn
no matter how much I adjusted that bush-hog, just didn't look quite right!!!

Don't have a pic, long time ago, 
my design for the suspension was from a Dynamark I had, so, very similar-looking to Poncho's Ford,
think I only used a 14 hp on it,
just basically copied the tongue design from like the Swisher pull-behind units,
IIRC, I think I ended up using 10" wheels, that way I could raise it enough to mow and leave about 6" of height if needed,
didn't have gator blades then either, would get some terrible wind-rows, so I always used mine to the right side.

deck was pretty heavy duty and stiff to begin with, but, there was still a good amount of flex without the support from the hangers on the tractor to the deck,
a quick, cheap and easy way that I used to "stiffin-up" the deck was I spot-welded every few inches a piece of 1/2" rebar in the "curl" around the bottom lip of the deck,

worked like a charm, glad I used what I did, something smaller would have let it flex to much, and, something bigger would have made it to stiff.

It's kind of neat to take something that really has no further purpose to ourselves, might even be a pita to sell, 
and come up with something we would have to spend $$$ to acquire when if we stop and think, we can RE-PURPOSE a couple items we already have, does the job as good or better than we could buy!!!

good luck, know whatever you come up with, it'll be good...

• Alc, KennyP, lrhredjb and 2 others have said thanks

#10 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 35,066 Thanks
  • 44,086 posts

Posted July 24, 2017 - 03:42 PM

Right now, I am not going to do anything! Seems like all I touch goes South! Maybe I need a vacation? I might be able to afford to go to South Collinsville.  Wait, that's where I live!

• DH1, Gtractor, Sawdust and 1 other said thanks

#11 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 5,363 Thanks
  • 3,261 posts

Posted July 24, 2017 - 06:34 PM

I need to do the same thing. I liked the pull behind that poncho62 built but I think him & chieffan have the right idea about a push mower being better.

#12 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 8,799 Thanks
  • 6,034 posts

Posted July 24, 2017 - 07:13 PM

I've had the same idea but to use a 60" haban from a Cub.

That is one heck of a heavy deck.  Definitely pull straight behind and not off set.

• olds45512 said thank you

#13 olds45512 ONLINE  

olds45512
  • Member No: 77943
  • 1,238 Thanks
  • 626 posts

Posted July 24, 2017 - 07:40 PM

That is one heck of a heavy deck.  Definitely pull straight behind and not off set.

I would hook it to the 3 point on my Cub so it would run square to the tractor just like a bush hog.
  • Sawdust said thank you

#14 4tom OFFLINE  

4tom
  • Member No: 73635
  • 95 Thanks
  • 114 posts

Posted August 11, 2017 - 05:43 PM

As for the battery you plan to mount with the motor and gas tank, maybe you could run a quick connect from Alice, and pull your electric from that. Kinda like a trailer connect.
  • Alc, KennyP and Sawdust have said thanks

#15 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 35,066 Thanks
  • 44,086 posts

Posted August 12, 2017 - 07:16 AM

As for the battery you plan to mount with the motor and gas tank, maybe you could run a quick connect from Alice, and pull your electric from that. Kinda like a trailer connect.

It would take some big wires to run a starter.