8 replies to this topic

#1 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 8,424 Thanks
  • 5,826 posts

Posted July 24, 2017 - 07:52 AM

Haven't had a good rain for over a week, just .04" a couple days ago.  With the heat I need to water this morning.  Use a hose, low stream and water the plant only.  I put survey flags at each one of the vine type plants so I know where to water.  59° F this morning - big change from what we been having.  Foxtail has taken over the beets and onions.  Will be pulling them in the next day or so.  Lay them out on a small flat bed trailer out of the sun for a week or more.  Beets will be processed in a couple days.  Then hit that area with Round-up.  That giant foxtail is real bad this year.  Cucumbers are doing great, tomatoes haven't started ripening yet except the small yellow ones. Don' plant potatoes as it is cheaper to buy them than to go to all the work of raising them.  If all you have is potatoes would be different.

• Gtractor, grnspot110, KennyP and 2 others have said thanks

#2 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 34,252 Thanks
  • 43,374 posts

Posted July 24, 2017 - 08:41 AM

I've been watering a few things around the yard with the heat we've been having. Missed out on the rain last night, was South of us.

• grnspot110, Sawdust and chieffan have said thanks

#3 Sawdust ONLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 5,316 Thanks
  • 3,243 posts

Posted July 24, 2017 - 08:47 AM

I watered on Wednesday with a small shower on Friday. We also had some severe storms on Saturday night. We have rain coming back around Thursday so I'll be good for awhile.

Edited by Sawdust, July 24, 2017 - 08:47 AM.

• grnspot110 and chieffan have said thanks

#4 Sawdust ONLINE  

Sawdust
  • 5,316 Thanks
  • 3,243 posts

Posted July 24, 2017 - 08:50 AM

Haven't had a good rain for over a week, just .04" a couple days ago. With the heat I need to water this morning. Use a hose, low stream and water the plant only. I put survey flags at each one of the vine type plants so I know where to water. 59° F this morning - big change from what we been having. Foxtail has taken over the beets and onions. Will be pulling them in the next day or so. Lay them out on a small flat bed trailer out of the sun for a week or more. Beets will be processed in a couple days. Then hit that area with Round-up. That giant foxtail is real bad this year. Cucumbers are doing great, tomatoes haven't started ripening yet except the small yellow ones. Don' plant potatoes as it is cheaper to buy them than to go to all the work of raising them. If all you have is potatoes would be different.

Do you do a second planting in the areas you put the Roundup on.
  • chieffan said thank you

#5 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 8,424 Thanks
  • 5,826 posts

Posted July 24, 2017 - 10:28 AM

RE: Sawdust

Plan on  some late radish and leaf lettuce.  There is no carry over with round-up as it works through the leaves of existing vegetation.   Only thing I don't like about Round-up is it is slow working.  Usually takes a couple weeks for the kill, several days before it starts to show up, like yellowing.

We put in 4 new Tomato plants this year.  Abraham Lincoln.  Supposed to be large round ones good as slicers.  Couple are just starting to turn now.  Have to put plastic coffee can lids under several that are on the ground so they don't rot.  Seen several this morning that are bigger than baseballs, pushing the softball size. 

We also use the lids for the muskmelon, put them down with the lip down so it don't hold water.  About time to start leaving the dog out at night as the coon and skunks like the tomato and muskmelon.  Hope he can get them stopped before they find the good stuff.  He won't come in the garden area when we are down there but hope he forgets that at night when he is in charge.

• Gtractor, grnspot110 and Sawdust have said thanks

#6 ShotgunWedding OFFLINE  

ShotgunWedding
  • Member No: 84933
  • 141 Thanks
  • 64 posts

Posted July 24, 2017 - 02:52 PM

We have had a wetter than usual summer up here in Ontario, heat really just started last week and the garden is showing it.  I think everything jumped a few inches every day for the last week with the heat.  You guys down in the US have trouble with late blight hitting tomatoes?

I hear it was in Michigan a few weeks past and is in our county now, just got done putting some preventative fungicide on the tomatoes.

• Sawdust said thank you

#7 Sawdust ONLINE  

Sawdust
  • 5,316 Thanks
  • 3,243 posts

Posted July 24, 2017 - 03:56 PM

We had some blight on our potatoes nothing serious just pinched off about a handful of leaves & burned them. That was before I heard about propane1 & his torch method...it works good. My wife has had to treat her rose bushes, ornamental crab apple & lilac bush on a regular bases for blight.

Edited by Sawdust, July 24, 2017 - 03:56 PM.

#8 grnspot110 ONLINE  

grnspot110

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 829
  • 3,860 Thanks
  • 2,550 posts

Posted July 24, 2017 - 04:15 PM

Very few weeks we haven't had to do at least some watering this season!

• Sawdust said thank you

#9 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 5,163 Thanks
  • 4,550 posts

Posted July 24, 2017 - 06:59 PM

We got 3" to 5" in the county from 4:30 AM Sunday to about 8:30 AM Sunday!

Everything is wet/flooded!