• Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted April 01, 2010 - 08:59 PM

Getting set to rebuild an 18hp Onan to replace the smoking BF 16HP that is currently on my MF1655 w/FEL. The 18hp block's cylinders have NO ring groove at all & pistons are same as new. By the looks of it, the rings were just worn bad. Bought the engine from my cousin who put a brand new engine on a JD318 for a fella. This one could easily been rebuilt, but oh well, glad I have it! Anyway, one mount foot was broken off the oil pan & I've used some of the parts for other engines over time, so went on ebay looking for parts. Got a perfect oil pan for just 99 cents!! Same seller I got an intake for $2.99. Bought from Joe's Outdoor Power. Shipping & purchase price for both parts less than $19! Can't beat that with even a big stick!:laughingteeth: My current driveshaft is a bit vibey, so bought a good used one for a JD318 that fits the engine, but I just need to machine the hydro end & weld on an adapter to fit the Sundstrand on my Massey. Driveshaft bought delivered for less than $30. Greaseable U-joints & tight as a new one!
Have bids on some new rings for the engine & will order new gaskets I need from onanparts.com. Good prices for new & some used Onan parts.
If I have time, I'll try to do a rebuild thread when I get into the actual rebuild process.

#2 Stickbender OFFLINE  

Stickbender

• Member No: 161
  • 0 Thanks
  • 1 posts

Posted April 02, 2010 - 02:56 AM

Gotta love it.. Bonannza...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3OrOgDQBrQ

Edited by Stickbender, April 02, 2010 - 03:10 AM.

#3 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted April 02, 2010 - 04:58 AM

Sounds like a great deal Dan. We have gotten a couple things from Joe's outdoor power and he has combined shipping and turned out to be pretty good deals.

#4 tractormike OFFLINE  

tractormike

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 119
  • 162 Thanks
  • 1,488 posts

Posted April 02, 2010 - 06:07 AM

Great find on the Onan parts! They can be very expensive.

#5 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,701 Thanks
  • 17,208 posts

Posted April 02, 2010 - 06:21 AM

Gotta love it.. Bonannza...

Welcome to The Forum, Stickbender :welcometogttalk:

#6 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted April 02, 2010 - 06:23 AM

:welcometogttalk:stickbender, glad to have you here.

#7 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted April 02, 2010 - 06:25 AM

I'd say you got a good deal Daniel.

#8 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted April 02, 2010 - 08:43 PM

2 more great buys tonight. My crank timing gear....PO had broken bolt in gear, so had to resort to crude removal & damaged the teeth. Got a good used one on ebay for $2.99. I had robbed the oil filter mount some time ago, so bought one from the same seller as the gear for $2.99 also. He combines shipping, so likely be around $12 to $13 total for both to my door. By the time I order some new gaskets & rings, I'll have close to $200 in the rebuild, but not bad for an Onan.

#9 Guest_hooligan_*

Guest_hooligan_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted April 02, 2010 - 11:46 PM

Getting set to rebuild an 18hp Onan to replace the smoking BF 16HP that is currently on my MF1655 w/FEL. The 18hp block's cylinders have NO ring groove at all & pistons are same as new. By the looks of it, the rings were just worn bad. Bought the engine from my cousin who put a brand new engine on a JD318 for a fella. This one could easily been rebuilt, but oh well, glad I have it! Anyway, one mount foot was broken off the oil pan & I've used some of the parts for other engines over time, so went on ebay looking for parts. Got a perfect oil pan for just 99 cents!! Same seller I got an intake for $2.99. Bought from Joe's Outdoor Power. Shipping & purchase price for both parts less than $19! Can't beat that with even a big stick!:laughingteeth: My current driveshaft is a bit vibey, so bought a good used one for a JD318 that fits the engine, but I just need to machine the hydro end & weld on an adapter to fit the Sundstrand on my Massey. Driveshaft bought delivered for less than $30. Greaseable U-joints & tight as a new one!
Have bids on some new rings for the engine & will order new gaskets I need from onanparts.com. Good prices for new & some used Onan parts.
If I have time, I'll try to do a rebuild thread when I get into the actual rebuild process.

I buy stuff from Joe all the time, butIi have to have my buddy down the street buy it for me. He wont sell to me, and he blocked my emails, my horrendous crime, I ask him if he did terminal to terminal shipping on heavy items. The guy sent me a e-mail cussing me up one side and down the other, telling me how long he'd been doing this, and how smart he was, and that it would be a cold day in hell before I got anything from him. Well, I buy stuff from him ALL the time by proxy, and I get combined shipping. The last three items I bought for my Ariens was 17.54 in shipping, total cost of the three items, rock shaft linkage, headlight retainers (2) and cast iron grill, 3.99. I guess that cold day came and went without me noticing

Edited by hooligan, April 02, 2010 - 11:51 PM.

#10 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted April 03, 2010 - 08:27 AM

Joe got ticked at me too once & we had words, but on part of it I WAS wrong, so I made my apology and then he did likewise. He definitely is a bit explosive, so I just buy my stuff, pay, & get back out of Dodge! LOL

#11 Guest_hooligan_*

Guest_hooligan_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted April 04, 2010 - 05:03 AM

Man, when he reamed me, I apologized up one side and down another, I NEVER meant in ANY way to make it seem like I didn't think he knew what he was doing. I reaaly felt bad, but I really didn't see how he took me so wrong. That was several months ago and last week I wrote and apologized AGAIN, and he reported me to ebay for harrassment. Like I said, My buddy down the road just buys the stuff anyway, not a big deal, personally I think the guy may have a screw loose or have personal problems, oh well.

#12 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted April 09, 2010 - 09:06 PM

I think I've got the last thing I needed. Just bought a complete air filter housing, filter, pre-cleaner foam strip & all for just 99cents.......plus $15.99 shipping! Not bad at all. My new gaskets, cam bearings, piston rings, etc came in today. Maybe start in earnest rebuilding next week if these allergies let up enough to where I want to.