8 replies to this topic

#1 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 9,144 Thanks
  • 6,240 posts

Posted July 21, 2017 - 06:52 PM

I love sliced cucumbers & onion rings in vinegar & water.  Had the first batch from the garden tonight.  Rains have been coming about right but have watered a couple times.  Gave everything a shot of Miracle Grow a couple weeks ago and boy did things take off.  Need to check for more cucs in the morning.  Tomatoes are about 5' tall and 3' across and lots of green tomatoes.  Have picked a couple hands full of the small yellow rounds, about shooter marble size.  Real sweet and juicy .  Yellow pear have not ripened yet.  Going to have to water again in the morning and this heat is going to take its toll if I don't.  Will go down and do that about 6:30 after my first cup of coffee.  Have about 4 heads of cabbage left and a couple cauliflower and broccoli and they will be done.  Early this season I was complaining that the plants was all leaves.  Was told to wait and I did and it payed off.  Several large heads of cauliflower and broccoli in the freezer.  Kids got a bunch of stuff last Saturday.  Afraid that when the tomatoes start to ripen they will all come on at once.  Why did I plant 13 plants this year when 6 was to many last year ?  Tired a couple different kinds and they only come in 2 & 4 to the pack.

• hamman, Cvans, boyscout862 and 6 others have said thanks

#2 JBRamsey ONLINE  

JBRamsey
  • Member No: 61995
  • 1,354 Thanks
  • 787 posts

Posted July 21, 2017 - 08:48 PM

I keep a batch going on my fridge all summer. I just keep topping up my container. I add a little sugar to my vinegar and water. Why? Because that's how my Mom does it!

You can never have too many tomatoes. They are easy to can and turn into juice. I didn't do a gardne this year due to too much time in the road. I usually do 60 to 70 tomatoes.
  • oldedeeres, Sawdust and chieffan have said thanks

#3 oldedeeres ONLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 8,731 Thanks
  • 4,486 posts

Posted July 21, 2017 - 08:56 PM

We call those "refrigerator pickles" and will put pepper slices, cauliflower, celery, mushrooms, carrot sticks etc. etc., the list is almost endless in the brine. But, yes, you do have to refresh it quite often with more vinegar and sugar because so much of it is absorbed by the veggies. Surprisingly enough, apple wedges do well in the brine too, especially if there is a clove added..

Edited by oldedeeres, July 21, 2017 - 08:56 PM.

• KennyP, TomLGT195, Sawdust and 1 other said thanks

#4 Sawdust ONLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 5,465 Thanks
  • 3,296 posts

Posted July 21, 2017 - 09:07 PM

Sounds good glad the wait was good for you. My wife puts sugar & a little green peppers in hers too. She also freezes that in a guart bag with the brine. It's special when the snow is falling.

Edited by Sawdust, July 21, 2017 - 09:08 PM.

• KennyP, oldedeeres and chieffan have said thanks

#5 TomLGT195 OFFLINE  

TomLGT195
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 29432
  • 3,636 Thanks
  • 2,733 posts

Posted July 22, 2017 - 04:33 AM

Where's the pictures???? Glad your garden is doing well.

• chieffan said thank you

#6 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 9,144 Thanks
  • 6,240 posts

Posted July 22, 2017 - 08:58 AM

You can never have too many tomatoes. They are easy to can and turn into juice. I didn't do a gardne this year due to too much time in the road. I usually do 60 to 70 tomatoes.

We eat over 60 - 70 tomato's fresh sliced in a season.  Going to put up a bunch of stewed tomatoes  this year but that will be it for the canning of them.  Dad used to love breaded tomatoes and I ate so darn many of them when I was a kid I got burned out on them.  Then had to make tomato soup in the service.  UG ! ! !  Every see tomato soup curdle?  That ended my cooked tomatoes for good.  

• KennyP, oldedeeres and Sawdust have said thanks

#7 oldedeeres ONLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 8,731 Thanks
  • 4,486 posts

Posted July 22, 2017 - 11:31 AM

Fried green tomatoes, yummy but an acquired taste, great with bacon and eggs. "Eat your obligation tomato" was MOD's saying at every meal as they began to over run us each year... there was always a bowl full of ripe ones on the table.

• KennyP and Sawdust have said thanks

#8 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 9,144 Thanks
  • 6,240 posts

Posted July 22, 2017 - 12:14 PM

Sun got around better so took some pics of the garden as it is now.  Most of the weeds scattered about are not long for this earth.  Pulled most of the ones in the plants and the rest got a shot of roundup.  This is the main tomato patch.  4' cattle panels sections for cages. SAM_0336.JPG .

The planted Muskmelon. SAM_0337.JPG   A row of Roma with a couple late cabbage plants.SAM_0338.JPG   Voluntier muskmelon SAM_0339.JPG   Acorn squash with Big Moon Pumpkins in the top left. .SAM_0340.JPG   Anothwer kind of SquashSAM_0341.JPG   Cucumber, Burpless SAM_0342.JPG   Close up of the round yellow tomatoe'sSAM_0343.JPG

Edited by chieffan, July 22, 2017 - 12:19 PM.

• KennyP, oldedeeres, TomLGT195 and 1 other said thanks

#9 TomLGT195 OFFLINE  

TomLGT195
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 29432
  • 3,636 Thanks
  • 2,733 posts

Posted July 23, 2017 - 12:02 PM

Good looking Garden. Nice background too!