6 replies to this topic

#1 ad356 OFFLINE  

ad356

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3766
  • 9 Thanks
  • 160 posts

Posted June 20, 2011 - 07:06 PM

it sat in a garage for several years. i dissembled the caburator, soak it in dipping solution and then spray it off with gumout. what do you know, that little k161 fired right up. what a nice but simple tractor. i like the deck design, its so simple its not even funny. surprisingly even though that tractor is 50 years old, the deck is still solid. the whole tractor is solid, paint is a little rough but very little rust. it would be an easy restorable tractor. it runs great. i have a couple little issues i would like to address. the 2 bolts that hold the ross gear to the tractor are loose. as a result the whole steering column flops around. i would like to fix this. i removed the deck expecting to find the two bolts that hold it in place. it looks like they are buried in dash tower. doesnt seem like they are easy to get to. any ideas on how to tighten them down?

i was really surprised at the power this tractor had. im not going to say its as powerful as my k321 but it still does an amazing amount of work for such a small engine/tractor. it might be a small tractor with a small engine, but its still a workhorse.

the guy i work for has 3 originals. they are all in good condition for 50 year old tractor. i would like to buy one of them, but i already own a 124 that im restoring, a 147, and a john deere 112. i just think the original is a cool little tractor that you can still use despite its age. what size is that deck anyways?

#2 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted June 20, 2011 - 08:23 PM

You gotta get an Original if he is going to sell one. The Cub Originals are very nice little garden tractors. They are very simple too. I just can't help with the steering column on one because I have never had one out and the Cub 122 I just tore apart I believe is different and to be honest I tore that apart two weeks ago and I already forgot how the steering column was mounted in that without looking at it LOL.

#3 ad356 OFFLINE  

ad356

Tractorholic

• 9 Thanks
  • 160 posts

Posted June 21, 2011 - 12:09 AM

i would never take anything away from the original. that little garden tractor has my ultimate respect. they are a solid little worker, even though they are a little underpowered. problem is the wife would murder me if i brought another home. right now im in the midst of my 124 project. the 147 will probably follow as my next full restoration. then i have my john deere 112 and i dont know if im going to restore that one or part ways. the 112 has a known good strong running k301 but the rear end is a little worn out. its not broken just sloppy rear hubs, worn out brakes, and worn out input shaft bearing. the variator on that tractor is also screwed up. i have mixed feeling about the deere anyways. it was never a bad tractor, i just dont like the generic peerless transaxle, not really a fan. overall i think the IH built cub cadets are a better tractor. when you compare a IH cub cadet gear drive to a JD gear drive there is no comparison. the IH has a vastly superior transaxle, im my opinion.

#4 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted June 21, 2011 - 04:43 AM

Yes sir,those Originals are nice tractors.I have a 1961 myself.The "transaxle" is the same one that was used in the Farmall Cubs,just had narrower axles.

#5 ad356 OFFLINE  

ad356

Tractorholic

• 9 Thanks
  • 160 posts

Posted June 21, 2011 - 06:42 AM

it is also the same transaxle used in my 124. the 124 was basically the same thing as an original but just a few years later. it has more features and a more powerful engine by almost twice the power. so do i really need an original when i own a 124 that will be fully restored? the 124 is another great tractor.

#6 drbish OFFLINE  

drbish

Collecter

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2544
  • 1,162 Thanks
  • 1,162 posts

Posted June 21, 2011 - 05:22 PM

just take the fou rbolts out of the tower and raise up enough to get to the bolts for the steering bracket,their is a service bullentin in the manual section that shows you how it is put together

#7 ad356 OFFLINE  

ad356

Tractorholic

• 9 Thanks
  • 160 posts

Posted June 21, 2011 - 06:47 PM

got it. its much better now. now i broke the timed belt on the deck. the blades hit for a few seconds when it broke. i will have a new belt tomorrow. it might have been my fault. it kinda ran the old girl a little hard, i didnt beat the snot out of it, i just went a mowed some fairly deep grass. i would have thought it should have cut it with no problem. the belt didnt look bad but the tractor probably sat 5 or more years. it sat in a garage, but still sitting none-the-less. belts dry-rot after sitting too long, or at least thats what i thought happened. it had a fair amount of power for such a small tractor.