• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 5,431 Thanks
  • 3,285 posts

Posted July 21, 2017 - 09:32 AM

We lost a lot of last year's potatoes trying to store them. They were in a cool but sometimes illuminated area. FrozenIntime & I were discussing potato storage & freezing. My wife has never frozen potatoes. I bought her a vacuum food saver awhile back. Has anyone done this like french fries, small whole potatoes or maybe shredded.

Edited by Sawdust, July 21, 2017 - 09:33 AM.

• FrozenInTime said thank you

#2 SimplyRad OFFLINE  

SimplyRad
  • Member No: 84410
  • 969 Thanks
  • 749 posts

Posted July 21, 2017 - 09:43 AM

Have you done a google to see if any info is out there?

• Sawdust said thank you

#3 secondtry OFFLINE  

secondtry
  • Member No: 83632
  • 1,451 Thanks
  • 1,166 posts

Posted July 21, 2017 - 10:12 AM

I have frozen mashed potatoes many times. The very old way of storing fresh potatoes was to bury them in straw. Dig a hole in well drained soil throw in a layer of straw then potatoes then more straw. Soil over the top, then shingles to divert rain away. This was replaced by the root cellar. Don

• MH81, boyscout862, oldedeeres and 2 others have said thanks

#4 propane1 OFFLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 8,203 Thanks
  • 3,955 posts

Posted July 21, 2017 - 10:26 AM

Never heard of freezing potatoes for storing. Cool dark place is the normal I think. I maybe wrong here on how this is done, but I think French fries are deep fried for a short time, called blanching, then froze. Then when you want some, you recook them from frozen, like store bought.
Maybe if you boiled them for a short time, then froze them, like the fry method. Might work. ????? Don't know. I am interested to know what you find out. You can buy small whole potatoes in a can, like carrots or peas. They must be cooked some, ???

Noel
  • oldedeeres said thank you

#5 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 5,431 Thanks
  • 3,285 posts

Posted July 21, 2017 - 11:25 AM

I did Google & got some good info but it's not like talking to those that have done it. It sounds like using the smaller, wash good,peel, cut, blanch, put in ice water, pat dry then bag & seal. It's as common as other veggies sure didn't know that. Most people prefer french fries or cut up for mashing. We had a vacuum sealer years ago & liked it. The new one we got is nicer & looking forward to using it.
  • oldedeeres and propane1 have said thanks

#6 LilysDad OFFLINE  

LilysDad

Millennium Falcon

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 12,616 Thanks
  • 9,426 posts

Posted July 21, 2017 - 01:11 PM

I've read that the natives in Peeru would freeze potatoes to dehydrate them. Freezing drives off the water.

#7 JBRamsey ONLINE  

JBRamsey
  • Member No: 61995
  • 1,345 Thanks
  • 783 posts

Posted July 21, 2017 - 03:12 PM

Check some university websites. Ohio State and Clemson both have good sites through their co-op programs. I would expect the ag school in every state has something similar.

We always buried them on straw after letting them dry for a while outside. Rub most of dirt off of them, let them dry and then cover in layers of straw in a dark, cool area. I don't care for them, but you potatoes can be canned.
  • KennyP, Sawdust and propane1 have said thanks

#8 Bob E OFFLINE  

Bob E
  • Member No: 85024
  • 111 Thanks
  • 91 posts

Posted July 21, 2017 - 05:31 PM

You need a root cellar.

I like to freeze homemade french fries after cutting them and before cooking them. Freezing bursts the cells and makes the inside of the fries fluffier when cooked.

• Alc, oldedeeres, Sawdust and 2 others have said thanks

#9 JBRamsey ONLINE  

JBRamsey
  • Member No: 61995
  • 1,345 Thanks
  • 783 posts

Posted July 21, 2017 - 08:50 PM

That explains why store bought frozen fries are different than the ones I cut and fry fresh.
  • Sawdust said thank you

#10 secondtry OFFLINE  

secondtry
  • Member No: 83632
  • 1,451 Thanks
  • 1,166 posts

Posted July 21, 2017 - 11:35 PM

I worked in a shop in Seattle in 1979 or 80 where they built a french fry freezer for Mcdonalds.It consisted of a stainless steel chain conveyor which ran through a vat of liquid nitrogen. At that time they said all the frys for Mcdonalds were grown on one farm in Florida. Don  

• Sawdust and Bob E have said thanks

#11 oldedeeres ONLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 8,703 Thanks
  • 4,474 posts

Posted July 21, 2017 - 11:41 PM

Bob E is right about the fluffy part in freezing. I have also canned them, (pressure cooker) and they are then good in stews or cut and fried with onions in butter or bacon grease. Kind of soggy if you try and mash them after canning though. 

• Alc, Sawdust, propane1 and 1 other said thanks

#12 Mad Farmer OFFLINE  

Mad Farmer
  • Member No: 87691
  • 7 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted August 03, 2017 - 04:13 PM

I just pulled some edible whites from my root cellar, 7/28.  Yes they had sprouts but I'm, going to plant them.  Will see how this turns out but certainly superior storage taters. Will not waste them

You need a good root cellar.  Be careful storing various crops close.

For potato make sure you dry the tubers well before storage.  Don't wash them just dry in the sun dirt on. Then they need to be kept out of light. Brown paper bags shopping are the best in my root cellar.  Taters breathe but low/no light.

Freezing is not an option for me.