• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Sawdust ONLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 5,465 Thanks
  • 3,296 posts

Posted July 19, 2017 - 12:33 PM

Dug our early row of beets yeasterday, not too bad considering the soil still needs to be prepped more. Did a lot of prep last fall but seems like the clay still takes over later on in the year. I also dug a few new potatoes for dinner. My wife got nine pints, she pickled five & left four sweet. I love both.

20170717_124930_resized.jpg 20170719_084455_resized.jpg

• gopher, tiretrx, oldedeeres and 4 others have said thanks

#2 dtsh OFFLINE  

dtsh
  • Member No: 82586
  • 234 Thanks
  • 157 posts

Posted July 19, 2017 - 01:25 PM

Looking good, I envy you. My garden got a late start and I haven't had the time to invest in it like last year and it shows.

I have heavy clay soil as well, I've only lived here going on 2 years and I keep working at it. A little progress year after year, should be good once I'm too old to do it anymore  :P

Last year I put up 5 gallons of tomato sauce, 3 gallons of salsa, and about 1.5 gallons of pickled peppers; if I had doubled that it still wouldn't have been enough to carry us through. I can't wait for the tomatoes to start producing, this cold summer and late start is delaying everything for me.

• Sawdust said thank you

#3 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 8,221 Thanks
  • 3,963 posts

Posted July 19, 2017 - 01:45 PM

Looks great and tastes great too, I bet. Early for beets to be ready, is it ? I love beets.

Noel
  • Sawdust said thank you

#4 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 9,144 Thanks
  • 6,240 posts

Posted July 19, 2017 - 05:00 PM

We have pulled about half of ours.  Gave them to the two boys when they were down Sat for the family reunion.  Have several jars left from last year, pickled and sweet.  Will get the rest when this heat spell breaks.  105 heat index is NOT canning weather.  Have 13 tomato plants and sure hope the neighbors like tomatoes ad we will be giving them away.  Don't can any tomatoes.  I do not like any cooked tomato's, especially salsa.  Best way to eat tomatoes is fresh sliced.  Can handle a little in meat loaf, chilly and spaghetti sauce but any chunks in there an I am done.  Cannot stand the sight of tomato soup.  Can handle tomato juice also.  Just me I guess, but to darn old and stubborn to change now.

• Sawdust said thank you

#5 Sawdust ONLINE  

Sawdust
  • 5,465 Thanks
  • 3,296 posts

Posted July 19, 2017 - 08:47 PM

Looking good, I envy you. My garden got a late start and I haven't had the time to invest in it like last year and it shows.

I have heavy clay soil as well, I've only lived here going on 2 years and I keep working at it. A little progress year after year, should be good once I'm too old to do it anymore :P

Last year I put up 5 gallons of tomato sauce, 3 gallons of salsa, and about 1.5 gallons of pickled peppers; if I had doubled that it still wouldn't have been enough to carry us through. I can't wait for the tomatoes to start producing, this cold summer and late start is delaying everything for me.

Our beets went in early but most other things are late. I wanted some cow manure last year but most farmers around here keep it. We've only been here two years also. We've put about 9000 lbs of top soil in the garden & it's almost like it disappears.

#6 Sawdust ONLINE  

Sawdust
  • 5,465 Thanks
  • 3,296 posts

Posted July 19, 2017 - 08:49 PM

Looks great and tastes great too, I bet. Early for beets to be ready, is it ? I love beets.

Noel

We got our beets & onions in early but other stuff is late.
  • propane1 said thank you

#7 FrozenInTime OFFLINE  

FrozenInTime
  • Member No: 46384
  • 648 Thanks
  • 396 posts

Posted July 20, 2017 - 01:17 PM

Beets come up great in my garden every year, everything else.... ehhh, not so well yet.  I pickled 18 pints past weekend, should last a while.  I like to split one of my pints with a gallon of pickled eggs, great red color and awesome taste.  Well, this year the hens are severely lacking in eggs, time to get out the butcher knife... LOL  Moved my ruebarb from the hillside and planted 3 rows, strange, one row went nuts, coming up great, one row got mushy and another I *might* get 3 bunches coming up.  O-well.  Even my taters, which have gone crazy in the past are lacking.  Cold and wet spring, still have time to recover.

• tiretrx and Sawdust have said thanks

#8 FrozenInTime OFFLINE  

FrozenInTime
  • 648 Thanks
  • 396 posts

Posted July 21, 2017 - 12:49 AM

The taters u did, do you cut then freeze or can them?  I have a hard time keeping them through-out winter  Come march they start getting mushy, my cold storage stays around 50 degrees.  I need to figure out a better way to keep them.  Maybe cut/freeze some as french fries? 

• Sawdust said thank you

#9 Sawdust ONLINE  

Sawdust
  • 5,465 Thanks
  • 3,296 posts

Posted July 21, 2017 - 09:24 AM

The taters u did, do you cut then freeze or can them? I have a hard time keeping them through-out winter Come march they start getting mushy, my cold storage stays around 50 degrees. I need to figure out a better way to keep them. Maybe cut/freeze some as french fries?

We have a storage problem too. We lost about a half bushel last year. I'm going to use them for seeds, not sure If there any good. We had them in mesh bags in a cool are all winter. I think they got too much light because of the way they sprouted.
  • FrozenInTime said thank you

#10 FrozenInTime OFFLINE  

FrozenInTime
  • 648 Thanks
  • 396 posts

Posted July 21, 2017 - 01:52 PM

We have a storage problem too. We lost about a half bushel last year. I'm going to use them for seeds, not sure If there any good. We had them in mesh bags in a cool are all winter. I think they got too much light because of the way they sprouted.

Mine was kept cool but the got soft and lots of them sprouted.  I planted them anyway and got some nice tops to them.  Now, probably because of the day time temps, all my plants are looking pretty sad.  They get watered an hour a night but I think my crop this year is not going to be good.  I need to dig a plant or 2 up to see where they stand.  Some did flower but not like usual.

• Sawdust said thank you

#11 Sawdust ONLINE  

Sawdust
  • 5,465 Thanks
  • 3,296 posts

Posted July 21, 2017 - 02:23 PM

Mine only flowered briefly unlike last year they looked like rows of flowers. I only water about every three days hoping for rain in between.