#1 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 3,097 Thanks
  • 2,812 posts

Posted July 19, 2017 - 04:53 AM

Looking at getting a slightly used 48" Berco ATV snow blower that my neighbor has. He had some serious health issues and decided to sell his ATV a couple years ago but the person that bought the ATV didn't want the Blower so he offered it to me cheap enough that I can not pass it up.

Does anyone have any experience with an ATV snow blower? Reliability and performance? Availability of parts?

This one is 48" wide dual stage with a 15hp Kohler engine with electric and pull start.

I'm 100% certain I can mount it to a garden tractor. They hookup to a bracket that bolts through the skid plate on a 4 wheeler and the winch picks the front of the blower up.

I have a full sized rear hitch plate off of a Cub 1440 on my Cub 582 that a winch will bolt up to. And I could mount the blower on the rear like a PTO driven blower on a large tractor. With it mounted to the rear hitch plate of the tractor I will not have to sacrifice the mowing and plowing capabilities of the tractor.

This blower was used for 4 winters and has sat unused for the past 3 years so it is 7 years old. I doubt it has more than 50 hours of run time on it. But the carburetor and gas tank are going to be a mess to deal with. It has some really nasty smelling gas in it that about burns the hair out of your nose. 

Edited by EricFromPa, July 19, 2017 - 04:54 AM.

• KennyP, boyscout862, chieffan and 1 other said thanks

#2 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 34,245 Thanks
  • 43,366 posts

Posted July 19, 2017 - 05:37 AM

If it is Ethanol, it will be nasty.

• EricFromPa, boyscout862 and chieffan have said thanks

#3 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 8,403 Thanks
  • 5,818 posts

Posted July 19, 2017 - 06:59 AM

Anything that has sat that long with gas in it will be nasty.  Why are you concerned with the mowing capabilities of the tractor ?  Never heard of blowing snow and mowing that same time of year.  Your going to get tired of trying to look behind you all the time with that blower back there.  Make it a quick hitch and swap them out, which ever one you need at the time.  Good luck with the project.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#4 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 3,097 Thanks
  • 2,812 posts

Posted July 19, 2017 - 08:05 AM

Can't attach a winch to the front of the tractor. Even though it uses the dolly wheels as a pivot to lift the front of the blower when in use It needs to be lifted up off the dolly wheels for transport otherwise you can not steer.

The blower is a bit to heavy to lift with the manual lift even with the spring assist. Probably a bit to heavy for a hydro lift. There 245lbs minus the weight of the undercarriage and engine.

This blower undercarriage is V shaped and would have to mount to the under side of the frame which would require welding the mounts fast. The mounts will be in the way of the plow and deck undercarriage if I did that.

Wish it had the newer mounting system.They are long and attach up under to the rear hitch on an ATV.

If I mount it to the rear hitch plate I can un-bolt the whole thing including the winch with 4 bolts or knock the pins out and leave the winch on the tractor.

I'll do some thinking and alot more measuring once it's here. Might end up cleaning it up and selling it if I can't figure something out. Don't want to cut it all up. I can sell it and buy a haban blower for the cub if nothing else.

btw he told me $200 for the blower and the agrifab lawn sweeper that's sitting in the back of his shed. Have to wait till Saturday morning to snatch it up when his wife is home. He has a nurse there during the week days and he won't let Anyone in his buildings without someone being there. I found out about it through his Son and went up and asked about it. I keep his mowers running tip top for his son to mow with but I don't charge him unless they need parts. Thinking that's why he let me have it cheap. And he has no use for it anymore. 

Edited by EricFromPa, July 19, 2017 - 08:09 AM.

• boyscout862 and kjmweld have said thanks

#5 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 3,097 Thanks
  • 2,812 posts

Posted July 19, 2017 - 08:19 AM

Think it had fuel stabilizer in it that went sour. I looked in the tank and it's a nice shade of dark green but still in liquid form lol. Definitely going to need carb parts but the tank might clean out ok since it's still liquid. Another few months and the tank would be trash. Luckily the shed that it's in sits under a big maple tree and stays pretty cool inside.

Still didn't smell as bad as the AMF Harley Davidson golf cart I had here last fall. That thing sat outside for I don't know how long. 10 gallon tank and 3/4 full of the nastiest smelling crap that i've ever had to deal with. It was so bad that it ate the hose on my $5 harbor freight manual pump transfer pump. Carb was ok though Fuel was turned off. I was unhooking the fuel lines to pull the tank and the grommet fell apart and was spewing that crap all over the place. Ruined a good pair of jeans and my old boots. I had it all over myself. What a mess. But I got her running. Luckily I had the body off of it and pulled the tank from up top.

Edited by EricFromPa, July 19, 2017 - 08:34 AM.

#6 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 11,437 Thanks
  • 8,471 posts

Posted July 19, 2017 - 08:27 AM

Sounds like you have been a real good neighbor and he's trying to repay you alittle. Clean the fuel system and get it running. Think about the setup for atleast a few weeks before attempting anything. I would be tempted to try to make a swivel wheeled support frame that the blower rides on mounted to the front of the tractor. The frame raises either electrically or mechanically from the tractor.

If you do put together this beast, I suggest that you have a cab on your tractor so that you don't end up looking like frosty the snowman.

Another thought would be to get a large frame Bolens. That could solve a bunch of the mounting problems.Good Luck, Rick

• EricFromPa said thank you

#7 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 3,097 Thanks
  • 2,812 posts

Posted July 19, 2017 - 08:48 AM

The way the wheels are solid mounted you can't steer without raising it up off of the dolly wheels. Don't know why they didn't use heavy casters. The 582 does have 1" front spindles but no where to mount it on the frame that would be out of the way.The lip on the bottom Frame rails is only about 1" wide.

Maybe bolt brackets to the out Side of the frame? L shaped angle might work and weld the "quick attach" mounts to the brackets. And I could remove them with a couple bolts. I gota get that ting down here I'm chomping at the bit here lol.

Edited by EricFromPa, July 19, 2017 - 08:52 AM.