2 replies to this topic

#1 Billy M ONLINE  

Billy M
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 15999
  • 552 Thanks
  • 488 posts

Posted July 18, 2017 - 10:04 AM

I'm typically an Ariens and Elec-Trak collector, but I acquired a nice 1257 in a lot of lawn equipment & attachments I bought.  I've always like the Bolens tube frames, so I'll probably just add it to the herd.  It has a Tecumseh HH120 in it I'm working on getting running.  It has spark, so that's a plus.  I did see that these were made only one year and are similar to a 1256.  Are there any other unique features of this machine?  The tractor came with a sleeve hitch, Brinly cultivator, double gang disc, and moldboard plow.  The Brinly attachments are near mint.  I got the machine from the original owner's son.  He had the receipt from where his dad bought it new in 1971 with the Brinly attachments for $1,620.  I thought that was pretty cool.  There was also a receipt where he had the gear box rebuilt on the mower deck in 2009 with new bevel gears and all...for $515.  Those gears were marked as NLA on the receipt and they weren't cheap!  It came with a very nice Bolens front blade as well.  I'll post some pics later.

Billy

• Bolens 1000, blackjackjakexxix and logmillingman have said thanks

#2 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 14,218 Thanks
  • 17,846 posts

Posted July 18, 2017 - 10:33 AM

Always good to have a tractor with a story behind it, the 1257 was pretty much a carbon copy of the 1256 with the only difference being the motors.

You really dont see to many of the 1257's around , the 1256 must have been the better seller of the two.

That sounds about right for the gears in that year, when MTD acquired the Bolens name and left over inventory they took the pricing and about tripled it on almost everything. 

• Billy M and logmillingman have said thanks

#3 Billy M ONLINE  

Billy M
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 15999
  • 552 Thanks
  • 488 posts

Posted July 19, 2017 - 10:37 AM

One more question...are there any not-so-obvious normal wear items (non engine related) I should check on this machine while I'm working on it? The belts and obvious things seem to be in good order.  The PO took very good care of this tractor.

I have cleaned the carb and rebuilt the Autopulse fuel pump.  I'm lapping the valves and installing a new head gasket as well.  New fuel line, valve, and filter will be installed also.  The throttle shaft on the carb has some play, but I've seen worse.  I'm hoping to have it running by the end of the week.

Thanks in advance for the input.

Billy

• Bolens 1000 said thank you