49 replies to this topic

#31 MNGB OFFLINE  

MNGB
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62466
  • 1,830 Thanks
  • 1,276 posts

Posted July 20, 2017 - 06:27 PM

Hi no you don't block the fuel nipple the hose from the replacement pump connects as it would without the pump you block off the carb pulse pump pulse nipple just to keep the dirt out.  Yes remove the filter and give it a try mine would start pretty good if it was started every couple of days if it set for a week it was a bear sometimes I'd have to remove the airfilter cover and squirt some gas into the carb. I use a fuel pump from e bay 2.5 to 4 PSI like this one

http://www.ebay.com/...TBZcQx2&vxp=mtr

#32 TerribleCj OFFLINE  

TerribleCj
  • Member No: 87662
  • 17 Thanks
  • 26 posts

Posted July 20, 2017 - 06:41 PM

Thanks! Fuel pump en-route. Got it Prime so it should be here by Saturday. Cant beat the price. I'll mess around with it some more tomorrow. Maybe see if I can get some fuel flowing as it is. I'm sure the new pump will be a major upgrade. I'll probably order a metal float as well. Any tips on what to use for general cleaning of grime on the tractor? I used armoral vinyl/plastic cleaner on the seat and dash and they came out really nice but I dont think a rag and some spray is going to cut it on the body and frame...

#33 TerribleCj OFFLINE  

TerribleCj
  • 17 Thanks
  • 26 posts

Posted July 20, 2017 - 07:30 PM

Here it is as it rolled off the trailer and then after a quick wipe down image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

#34 JiminRI OFFLINE  

JiminRI
  • Member No: 62914
  • 84 Thanks
  • 80 posts

Posted July 20, 2017 - 07:54 PM

Congratulations on getting the tractor and implements. It should serve you well.

Note that I have used a NAPA screen filter on my SS-16 (16 HP Onan) with original fuel pump for many years.

You might want to check the pulse line - it code be blocked or cracked. It did run when you picked it up.

Good luck,

JIm

#35 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 29,963 Thanks
  • 29,757 posts

Posted July 20, 2017 - 07:55 PM

Good looking tractor.
Some things I have found helpful on the Onans.
Run them just a scosch rich. They run a little cooler.
The valve adjust isn't a big deal and it'll let you check out the engine and decarbon.
The gasket kits are available from our sponsors too.

The tinwork around the flywheel is available. Probably a sponsor will have that screen or at least make one for safety's sake (foot and shoestring are close to that vortex of death.

#36 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 7,747 Thanks
  • 5,582 posts

Posted July 21, 2017 - 09:10 AM

Congrats on the purchase. I'm not an Onan expert so these guys will help ya out.

The "funky cultivator" is a sears cultivator, it had two cutter wheel on the outside then offset tines in the middle

#37 TerribleCj OFFLINE  

TerribleCj
  • 17 Thanks
  • 26 posts

Posted July 21, 2017 - 12:26 PM

Questions..., is the blower housing guard the same for the 16hp Onan as the 18hp? Also, is that the correct terminology to use for tracking one down? I got one of the little red fuel filters with just a mesh screen in it although once the new pump arrives I can probably upgrade to a better filter. I tried to get it to draw some fuel but I think the pump diaphragm is busted or the reed petals are bent out of whack. Probably easier to just put in the new one when it arrives tomorrow. What part # am I looking for as far as an oil filter goes? Looking forward to working this beast! I'm glad most of the issues I've had so far have been minor.

#38 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 29,963 Thanks
  • 29,757 posts

Posted July 21, 2017 - 12:32 PM

I believe they are the same on the 16 &18 small block.

#39 TerribleCj OFFLINE  

TerribleCj
  • 17 Thanks
  • 26 posts

Posted July 21, 2017 - 04:37 PM

Thank you, hopefully I can track one down

#40 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 29,963 Thanks
  • 29,757 posts

Posted July 21, 2017 - 07:08 PM

I made one out of a perfect metal piece... just to be safer.
Any port in a storm.

#41 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 7,747 Thanks
  • 5,582 posts

Posted July 22, 2017 - 06:50 PM

Do a search for Boomers Onan parts, he can probably hook you up with whatever you need.

#42 TerribleCj OFFLINE  

TerribleCj
  • 17 Thanks
  • 26 posts

Posted July 22, 2017 - 07:03 PM

Will do! So I hooked up the electric fuel pump and got her to fire up! Did a victory lap, then she died out....I ordered a new spool of fuel line so that I can mount the fuel pump somewhere out of the way. I used the short piece of old line that was between the old filter and the carb and it is just too old and worthless, I also need to seal the vacuum port with a nipple. I plugged the old tube and I think that's all cracked up. So, new line and I should be in better shape. Started easy but wouldn't run without the choke on so I might need to pull the intake manifold and really get in there and make sure that float is doing its job too. Any advice for taking the manifold off? Thanks again! I'm staying positive!

Edited by TerribleCj, July 22, 2017 - 07:04 PM.

#43 MNGB OFFLINE  

MNGB
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62466
  • 1,830 Thanks
  • 1,276 posts

Posted July 22, 2017 - 08:28 PM

Hi to check the float you don't need ti remove the intake manifold the top of the carb comes off with 4 screws, if you do remove the intake be sure you have new gaskets as the old ones generally break/ crack and leak.

#44 TerribleCj OFFLINE  

TerribleCj
  • 17 Thanks
  • 26 posts

Posted July 23, 2017 - 11:08 AM

Looked at the float good and it is loose on the metal strip and cracked all around the mounting area. I took the liberty of ordering a metal float for it. I got some better, lower profile fuel line and re-plumbed from the tank to the new pump mounted near the headlight area and then to the carburetor. I sprayed out all the tiny passages with cleaner until they sprayed strong jets. After it primed good, I was able to start it and keep it running! I took a trip down the street to the neighbors and back and tried all the gears and ranges and it ran pretty darn well. The throttle is finicky though. I need to adjust it because I think it is not staying tight while in full throttle and snapping down and stalling out the motor. The choke knob seems to creep its way out as the engine is running. I installed the manual hitch just for kicks but I can figure out how to "lock" the implement in the up position. It just wants to fall straight down when you move the lever forward. All in all it has been a minimally frustrating experience and is moving along smoothly. I still have a bunch of wiring issues with the headlights and the electric hitch but I dont know how big of a pain it is to get back behind the dash to straighten everything out. Thanks again everyone for the tips and advice. I emailed about a replacement blower guard and I'll give it some fresh oil and a filter and she should be road-worthy again.

• MH81 and KennyP have said thanks

#45 TerribleCj OFFLINE  

TerribleCj
  • 17 Thanks
  • 26 posts

Posted July 23, 2017 - 12:50 PM

She lives! The orbital sander made quick work of cleaning up the turn-plow. I also tried out the scrape blade and the cultivator. I like the cultivator the best so far. It did a great job! Now, to fill up my gas cans..

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpeg

Edited by TerribleCj, July 23, 2017 - 01:05 PM.

• MH81 said thank you

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: sears, suburban, ss16, st16, ss12